RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Where to put help?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

20 of 20 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Where to put help? John Culleton 10 Dec 13:45
  Where to put help? Sven Neumann 11 Dec 12:11
   Where to put help? John Culleton 11 Dec 20:54
    Where to put help? Jozsef Mak 11 Dec 22:29
     Where to put help? Michael Schumacher 11 Dec 22:50
      Where to put help? Jozsef Mak 12 Dec 01:24
     Where to put help? Carol Spears 12 Dec 00:54
     Where to put help? Sven Neumann 12 Dec 01:32
      Where to put help? John Culleton 15 Dec 22:13
       Where to put help? Sven Neumann 16 Dec 02:17
        Where to put help? Jozsef Mak 16 Dec 06:05
    Where to put help? Owen Cook 11 Dec 23:09
    Where to put help? Carol Spears 12 Dec 03:11
    Where to put help? Sven Neumann 16 Dec 02:40
     Where to put help? Jogchum Reitsma 19 Dec 14:48
      Where to put help? Michael Schumacher 19 Dec 15:20
       Where to put help? Jogchum Reitsma 19 Dec 17:02
      Where to put help? Sven Neumann 19 Dec 16:14
Where to put help? Michael Schumacher 16 Dec 10:06
Where to put help? Bob Long 17 Dec 10:39
John Culleton
2004-12-10 13:45:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

I have downloaded the latest help file. Befor I untar it, where is it supposed to go? Or more particularly, where is it supposed to be when I untar it?

It would be very nice if the help files were integrated with the Gimp distribution, and matched that distro feature for feature.

While searching my disk I find that I have several Gimp versions, one of which is in /usr/local/usr/share. Obviously I untarred that puppy in the wrong location. Hence my question above.

Sven Neumann
2004-12-11 12:11:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

I have downloaded the latest help file. Befor I untar it, where is it supposed to go? Or more particularly, where is it supposed to be when I untar it?

Just untar them and read the installation instructions in the file INSTALL.

Sven

John Culleton
2004-12-11 20:54:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

On Saturday 11 December 2004 06:11, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it can't find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp laying around) and no such file exists. The ./configure run also says: "couldn't find a Gimp-2.0 installation". There are about three laying around.

So, back to my original question. Where should I try to untar the Gimp help tarball? I don't want to muck up a functioning Gimp installation by untarring them in the wrong location.

Perhaps I am using the wrong tarball. When you go to the site and look for help files all you can find is a directory called "test" or "testing" which holds about 5 different versions of help files. I picked out the most recent one, 2.05

The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful. I suppose I will have to go to a Knoppix disk and figure out where the help files go from its internal structure. Oh well.

Jozsef Mak
2004-12-11 22:29:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

I also cannot understand the reason behind not integrating the help files with Gimp.

jozsefmak

The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a
help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful. I suppose I
will have to go to a Knoppix disk and figure out where the help files go from
its internal structure. Oh well.
--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: http://wexfordpress.com/tex/shortlist.pdf

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-11 22:50:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Jozsef Mak wrote:

The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful. I suppose I will have to go to a Knoppix disk and figure out where the help files go from its internal structure. Oh well.

> I also cannot understand the reason behind not integrating the help > files with Gimp.

At which level would you like to integrate it - source tree, release tarball or binary distribution?

Michael

Owen Cook
2004-12-11 23:09:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, John Culleton wrote:

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it can't find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp laying around) and no such file exists. The ./configure run also says: "couldn't find a Gimp-2.0 installation". There are about three laying around.

So, back to my original question. Where should I try to untar the Gimp help tarball? I don't want to muck up a functioning Gimp installation by untarring them in the wrong location.

You should have several gimp-2.0.pc files if you have several installations. You will need to find them. Standard locations would be for example;

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc /opt/lib/pkgconfig/gimp-2.0.pc

Determine which gimp you want the help files to be associated with, eg the one in say /usr/local

Then export your PKG_CONFIG_PATH

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/

Now check it

pkg-config --modversion gimp-2.0

Then try installing your help

Owen

Carol Spears
2004-12-12 00:54:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 04:29:59PM -0500, Jozsef Mak wrote:

I also cannot understand the reason behind not integrating the help files with Gimp.

oh, i can answer this. have you ever tried to build these things?

maybe they build easier right now, but i have had my workflow interrupted because i could not build the help documentation for gimp. i needed gimp, not help documents.

i have not tried to build them recently. i am waiting for something other than docbook format. i would rather tinker with gap than learn more of the evil of docbook; it really does some things that i would never ever do to people in documentation. so, since i do not really know what it is like to build the documents lately, can someone provide a dependency list of the things needed to build the help docs?

also, my bad feelings of the method have nothing to do with the text the format contains, nor the people who endure what i consider rude and inefficient means of writing documentation. even the people who designed it, this has nothing to do with any personal feelings there.

long ago, gimp depended on emacs to build its help documentation. this made and still makes me laugh some. consider having jade suggested to help you install gimp? i would rather gimp depend on emacs, in fact, maybe this is the solution ....

carol

Jozsef Mak
2004-12-12 01:24:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

At which level would you like to integrate it - source tree, release tarball or binary distribution?

Michael

This I cannot tell, but when I compiled Inkscape from source all the tutorials were in the help file ready to use. They could solve the problem somehow.

jozsefmak

The GIMP > http://www.gimp.org | IRC: irc://irc.gimp.org/gimp Wiki > http://wiki.gimp.org | .de: http://gimpforum.de Plug-ins > http://registry.gimp.org |

Sven Neumann
2004-12-12 01:32:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

We did so in the past and it was a nightmare to maintain. Development on gimp-help works a lot better since it is decoupled from GIMP releases. For the end user who's using some sort of package management system or an installer, there's no difference anyway. The help files get installed with the GIMP packages.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-12-12 03:11:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 02:54:07PM -0500, John Culleton wrote:

John Culleton writes:

the solution to this is to show ./configure where the file (gimp-2.0.pc) is. running the "gimpenv" script from wgo should fix that: http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv

it tells your shell what it needs to know by setting the proper environment variables.

Perhaps I am using the wrong tarball. When you go to the site and look for help files all you can find is a directory called "test" or "testing" which holds about 5 different versions of help files. I picked out the most recent one, 2.05

you are imagining opening up a tarball of html, i think. what you have downloaded is the means to make html, pdf, sgtml, xml and whoknowwhatelseml. your question is not being asked correctly.

a tarball of html because that is all anyone will ever use? you jest!

carol

John Culleton
2004-12-15 22:13:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

On Saturday 11 December 2004 19:32, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

We did so in the past and it was a nightmare to maintain. Development on gimp-help works a lot better since it is decoupled from GIMP releases. For the end user who's using some sort of package management system or an installer, there's no difference anyway. The help files get installed with the GIMP packages.

As it happens, Slackware and Knoppix (some versions) have Gimp but the help files are not included. Either the maintainers of these distros don't know about the separate help files or they can't figure out how to install them. (Neither can I.)

I will inquire in the appropriate lists.

Is there a Linux distro anywhere that preinstalls the help files with Gimp?

Sven Neumann
2004-12-16 02:17:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

As it happens, Slackware and Knoppix (some versions) have Gimp but the help files are not included. Either the maintainers of these distros don't know about the separate help files or they can't figure out how to install them.

The user manual isn't considered ready for general consumption yet so it isn't surprising that the help isn't shipped with GIMP by default yet. I hope that the GIMP help team will release a first stable version of the manual soon.

(Neither can I.)

Oh come on. It's as simple as unpacking the tarball and typing 'configure; make; make install'. If you can't figure that out yourself, perhaps you should ask someone who isn't completely clueless.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-16 02:40:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it can't find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp laying around) and no such file exists.

gimp-2.0.pc is installed into $prefix/lib/pkgconfig. It's a standard thing that a lot of software packages use these days. Please consider to read the pkg-config man-page to learn more about it. The man-page will also explain you how to use the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to point pkg-config to .pc files that are not in the default search path.

Yes, there's no final gimp-help-2 tarball yet. The help authors don't think their work is ready for general consumption yet.

The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful.

Sure. As soon as the manual is released by the people writing it, we will include instructions as how to install it. If you want to make this happen earlier, consider to join the gimp-help-2 team.

Sven

Jozsef Mak
2004-12-16 06:05:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

How do you install it on the windows version?

To: John Culleton
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Where to put help? Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 02:17:44 +0100

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

As it happens, Slackware and Knoppix (some versions) have Gimp but the

help

files are not included. Either the maintainers of these distros don't

know

about the separate help files or they can't figure out how to install

them.

The user manual isn't considered ready for general consumption yet so it isn't surprising that the help isn't shipped with GIMP by default yet. I hope that the GIMP help team will release a first stable version of the manual soon.

(Neither can I.)

Oh come on. It's as simple as unpacking the tarball and typing 'configure; make; make install'. If you can't figure that out yourself, perhaps you should ask someone who isn't completely clueless.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-16 10:06:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

You use the help installer package.

HTH, Michael

Bob Long
2004-12-17 10:39:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

On Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:05 PM [GMT+1=CET], Jozsef Mak wrote:

Help, which will work with GIMP 2.0.5, is here: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Unzip and put into: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\, or wherever your GIMP is installed. Preserve the directory structure that is in the ZIP file.

Bob Long

Jogchum Reitsma
2004-12-19 14:48:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Sven Neumann schreef:

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

OK the instructions say run ./configure and ./configure fails because it can't find a file called gimp-2.0 pc. I searched my disks (several versions of Gimp laying around) and no such file exists.

gimp-2.0.pc is installed into $prefix/lib/pkgconfig. It's a standard thing that a lot of software packages use these days. Please consider to read the pkg-config man-page to learn more about it. The man-page will also explain you how to use the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to point pkg-config to .pc files that are not in the default

I'm afraid I have to confirm John's problem: there simply is no file called gimp-2.0.pc on my system.
So the question is IMHO not how to direct configure to the place the file is on disk (there is no such place) but where that file can be found on the internet. It's obviously not in our gimp-2.0 distribution (in my case, the Gimp-version comes with my Suse 9.2 distro. Could it be that the problem lies in the fact that Suse uses the RPM package manager?

search path.

Yes, there's no final gimp-help-2 tarball yet. The help authors don't think their work is ready for general consumption yet.

The best solution of course would be to have the help files integrated with the Gimp package itself. That is the way most packages work. Failing that, a help tarball in parallel to the current stable version and with explicit instructions on installation (i.e. where) would be most helpful.

Sure. As soon as the manual is released by the people writing it, we will include instructions as how to install it. If you want to make this happen earlier, consider to join the gimp-help-2 team.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-19 15:20:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Jogchum Reitsma wrote:

Sven Neumann schreef:

gimp-2.0.pc is installed into $prefix/lib/pkgconfig. It's a standard thing that a lot of software packages use these days. Please consider to read the pkg-config man-page to learn more about it. The man-page will also explain you how to use the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to point pkg-config to .pc files that are not in the default

I'm afraid I have to confirm John's problem: there simply is no file called gimp-2.0.pc on my system.
So the question is IMHO not how to direct configure to the place the file is on disk (there is no such place) but where that file can be found on the internet. It's obviously not in our gimp-2.0 distribution (in my case, the Gimp-version comes with my Suse 9.2 distro. Could it be that the problem lies in the fact that Suse uses the RPM package manager?

Maybe there is a seperate gimp-dev (or libgimp-dev) package?

BTW, could you please fix your quoting? Thank you.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2004-12-19 16:14:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Hi,

Jogchum Reitsma writes:

You are missing the gimp-devel package then. If you want to install the user manual from source, you need to have the GIMP development package installed. Otherwise you should be using the gimp-help package that your distribution provides. If it doesn't provide one, you should ask them to do add one.

There's a workaround that allows you to install gimp-help-2 w/o having GIMP installed or w/o having the GIMP development package installed. It's mentioned in the installation instructions that come with gimp-help-2 (look at the file INSTALL).

Sven

Jogchum Reitsma
2004-12-19 17:02:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Where to put help?

Michael Schumacher schreef:

Jogchum Reitsma wrote:

Maybe there is a seperate gimp-dev (or libgimp-dev) package?

BTW, could you please fix your quoting? Thank you.

HTH, Michael

That's it! Thanks!

Btw: this quoting better?

kind greetings, Jogchum