RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

copy and moving

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

copy and moving cssgimp 08 Dec 16:10
  copy and moving Steve Kinney 08 Dec 20:41
2016-12-08 16:10:13 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

copy and moving

I'm sure there is a simple way to do this but I can't find it. I just want to grab part of an image and either move that or copy that and move it to another place on my image. How do I do that?

Steve Kinney
2016-12-08 20:41:55 UTC (over 7 years ago)

copy and moving

On 12/08/2016 11:10 AM, cssgimp wrote:

I'm sure there is a simple way to do this but I can't find it. I just want to grab part of an image and either move that or copy that and move it to another place on my image. How do I do that?

To grab part of an image, turn on a selection tool, select the part you want, then do Control+c to Copy the selected region. Or do Edit > Copy, that's the "slow" way. Then paste your copied region into the image by doing Control+v, or the slow way by using Edit > Paste.

Now you have something you can grab and move around: The copy of the selected region that appears on the image canvas it called a "float." You can move it around via click and drag, or by using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Once the pasted selection is where you want it, you can merge it down into the layer it was copied from by clicking the Anchor icon at the bottom of the Layers dialog dock, or by doing Control+h on your keyboard.

Or you can make it into a layer of its very own: Click the Create A New Layer button at the bottom of the Layers dialog dock, or do Shift+Control+n on your keyboard. You might want to do that if you need to work on the pasted-in area by itself (i.e. change its size, rotate it, adjust color and brightness, etc.), or make more copies of it, or move it around more later.

:o)