RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Select by color-- available in version 1.2.3?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Select by color-- available in version 1.2.3? Justin Gombos 07 Dec 03:25
  Select by color-- available in version 1.2.3? Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 07 Dec 04:39
   Select by color-- available in version 1.2.3? Justin Gombos 08 Dec 17:48
    Select by color-- available in version 1.2.3? Gert Cuykens 10 Dec 03:54
Justin Gombos
2004-12-07 03:25:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I have Gimp 1.2.3, and cannot find the select by color option. Do I need to upgrade for that?

Also, it's been a while since I've used Gimp, and I having trouble doing a selection that should be simple. I have a 1 bit image of a handwritten signature, and I'd like to make the white background transparent.

After adding the alpha channel, I'm trying to use the fuzzy select tool to select regions within closed letters like Os, so I can cut them out. Gimp is selecting the entire layer, no matter what thresholds I use.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-12-07 04:39:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 00:25, Justin Gombos wrote:

I have Gimp 1.2.3, and cannot find the select by color option. Do I need to upgrade for that?

Gahhhhhhhhh.....
no..you do not need to update for that..but this stuff is __old__ :-) The select by color is in the "Tools" menu, or in the "Selection" menu even.

Also, it's been a while since I've used Gimp, and I having trouble doing a selection that should be simple. I have a 1 bit image of a handwritten signature, and I'd like to make the white background transparent.

After adding the alpha channel, I'm trying to use the fuzzy select tool to select regions within closed letters like Os, so I can cut them out. Gimp is selecting the entire layer, no matter what thresholds I use.

Sounds like you have to change your editng mode to RGB (Image->Mode->RGB) for that.

Regards, JS
->

Justin Gombos
2004-12-08 17:48:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

* Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris [2004-12-06 22:46]:

Gahhhhhhhhh..... no..you do not need to update for that..but this stuff is __old__ :-) The select by color is in the "Tools" menu, or in the "Selection" menu even.

Thanks, it was there in the selection menu. However, it was not in the Tools menu, which was where I was looking originally.

As far as upgrading, I'm on an RH9 box, so getting out of date is probably understandable. I really hate to upgrade things in RedHat because of all the problems with RPMs. RPM packages are often buggy, and fail when a other supporting packages don't meet the version criteria, which is often overly conservative and unnecessary. The support packages then often have the same issue, so upgrades tend to snowball into a major project. Sometimes I will -cave in-, and get the latest tarball, but then I end up with two versions in parallel and the RPM system reports the older version.

Anyway, I'll switch to gentoo at some point and upgrading problems will be resolved.

Gert Cuykens
2004-12-10 03:54:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:48:47 -0700, Justin Gombos wrote:

* Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris [2004-12-06 22:46]:

Gahhhhhhhhh..... no..you do not need to update for that..but this stuff is __old__ :-) The select by color is in the "Tools" menu, or in the "Selection" menu even.

Thanks, it was there in the selection menu. However, it was not in the Tools menu, which was where I was looking originally.

As far as upgrading, I'm on an RH9 box, so getting out of date is probably understandable. I really hate to upgrade things in RedHat because of all the problems with RPMs. RPM packages are often buggy, and fail when a other supporting packages don't meet the version criteria, which is often overly conservative and unnecessary. The support packages then often have the same issue, so upgrades tend to snowball into a major project. Sometimes I will -cave in-, and get the latest tarball, but then I end up with two versions in parallel and the RPM system reports the older version.

Anyway, I'll switch to gentoo at some point and upgrading problems will be resolved.