RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rotate pasted image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rotate pasted image alin33 26 Oct 12:07
  rotate pasted image Ofnuts 26 Oct 13:21
   rotate pasted image alin33 26 Oct 13:42
    rotate pasted image Steve Kinney 29 Oct 17:34
     rotate pasted image Steve Kinney 29 Oct 17:39
      rotate pasted image alin33 30 Oct 22:23
  rotate pasted image Liam R. E. Quin 27 Oct 16:34
  rotate pasted image Noel Stoutenburg 28 Oct 10:59
2016-10-26 12:07:10 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

rotate pasted image

Hello I pasted into a selection an image,so now its floating selection.I want to rotate not the selection but to rotate the image that I have pasted into the selection,but not move the selection at all.I see that I can move the pasted image inside the selection with the move tool,but can't rotate it without moving the selection .I know that in Photoshop it's possible,but I can't figure out how to do it in gimp....and the anchor doesn't help. becuse after anchoring the selection rotates also,but I can't do the rotation before anchor too-it makes everything a mess.Is it even possible in gimp?

Ofnuts
2016-10-26 13:21:29 UTC (over 7 years ago)

rotate pasted image

On 26/10/16 14:07, alin33 wrote:

Hello I pasted into a selection an image,so now its floating selection.I want to rotate not the selection but to rotate the image that I have pasted into the selection,but not move the selection at all.I see that I can move the pasted image inside the selection with the move tool,but can't rotate it without moving the selection .I know that in Photoshop it's possible,but I can't figure out how to do it in gimp....and the anchor doesn't help. becuse after anchoring the selection rotates also,but I can't do the rotation before anchor too-it makes everything a mess.Is it even possible in gimp?

When you use the word "selection" alone are you talking about the selection mask or the floating selection?

You don't "move" anything in a rotation if the center of rotation is the center of the layer, and this is the default...

2016-10-26 13:42:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

rotate pasted image

When you use the word "selection" alone are you talking about the selection mask or the floating selection?

You don't "move" anything in a rotation if the center of rotation is the
center of the layer, and this is the default...

Ok i explain what I'm trying to do.I have a quarter or circle-thats the selection-i selected it by color.I paste into this quarter an image-and I want to transform it and rotate it inside the quarter without moving the boundaries of the quarter selection-the purpose is to find the right look of the pasted image because I want to copy the quarter paste it-and finally make a full circle mandala.My purpose is to manipulate the pasted image as free as I can-I can move it-but i can't rotate it because it rotates the quarter selection also.I don't know anything about working with masks.I really hope you have some advits into ice for me,because really I already tried evrything.If tou have clear steps of what I should do-please replay.thanks.It all began from an ytube video about a guy that does digital mandala in photoshop-he pastes it into the quarter of circle and manipulate the pasted image in all the possible ways.Is there a way to do it in gimp?

Liam R. E. Quin
2016-10-27 16:34:28 UTC (over 7 years ago)

rotate pasted image

On Wed, 2016-10-26 at 14:07 +0200, alin33 wrote:

Hello I pasted into a selection an image,so now its floating selection.

E.g.
(1) copy something onto the clipboard in GIMP or elsewhere (2) make a selection in GIMP
(3) use GIMP's edit->paste into

I want to
rotate not the selection but to rotate the image that I have pasted into the
selection,but not move the selection at all.

E.g. press R or use tools/transform tools/rotate or choose the Rotate tool from the toolbox and click on the selection

I see that I can move the pasted
image inside the selection with the move tool,but can't rotate it without moving
the selection

The selection (as shown by the marching ants) doesn't move when i use the rotate tool. But when you press OK to do the rotate, the marching ants are indeed rotated.

One way I found to stop them rotating:

(1) copy (2) select
(3) select->save to channel
(4) go to the layers dialogue and reselect the layer you're working on (5) edit->paste inside
(6) rotate
(7) in layers, click the new layer button to make the floating selection into a layer
(8) in the channels dialogue, right-click the saved selection and use Channel to Selection
(9) in the layers dialogue reselect the layer you're working on.

Almost any time you interact with the Channels in GIMP you need to go back and reselect the current layer or you end up drawing only on the saved channel.

It's also possible to paste as a new layer directly, but this will paste it in the top left of your image, not inside the selection. You can work around that by including the four corners of the image in the selection (actually just the top left is enough) using shift and the rectangle or noose tool, but it's a pain. So I think the workflow I've suggested may be easiest.

Liam

Liam R. E. Quin 

Words and Pictures From Old Books - http://www.fromoldbooks.org/
Noel Stoutenburg
2016-10-28 10:59:06 UTC (over 7 years ago)

rotate pasted image

alin33 wrote:

Hello I pasted into a selection an image,so now its floating selection.I want to rotate not the selection but to rotate the image that I have pasted into the selection,but not move the selection at all.

What you call in the first sentence a "floating selection" is actually a "floating layer", and can be manipulated using the layer dialogs. In this case, if you make certain the floating layer is the active layer, use the "layer" menu item of the image, and in the "transform menu item" of the layers menu, you will find options to allow you to flip the layer horizontally, vertically, rotate it left or right. This works not only on floating layers, but real ones, as well.

ns

Steve Kinney
2016-10-29 17:34:13 UTC (over 7 years ago)

rotate pasted image

On 10/26/2016 09:42 AM, alin33 wrote:

You don't "move" anything in a rotation if the center of rotation is the
center of the layer, and this is the default...

Ok i explain what I'm trying to do.I have a quarter or circle-thats the selection-i selected it by color.I paste into this quarter an image-and I want to transform it and rotate it inside the quarter without moving the boundaries of the quarter selection-the purpose is to find the right look of the pasted image because I want to copy the quarter paste it-and finally make a full circle mandala.My purpose is to manipulate the pasted image as free as I can-I can move it-but i can't rotate it because it rotates the quarter selection also.I don't know anything about working with masks.I really hope you have some advits into ice for me,because really I already tried evrything.If tou have clear steps of what I should do-please replay.thanks.It all began from an ytube video about a guy that does digital mandala in photoshop-he pastes it into the quarter of circle and manipulate the pasted image in all the possible ways.Is there a way to do it in gimp?

What I have done in similar cases: First I open the source image in the GIMP. Then I select the area I want to duplicate, invert the selection (Select > Invert), and delete everything but the part I want to work with. Then I copy the layer, and rotate the copy. Then I select the original layer, copy the first layer again, move the new copy to the top of the layer stack, and rotate the new copy. I repeat this until I have completed the circle I am making from copies.

Using only copies of the original layer prevents repeated copy > rotate from adding noise (transform errors) that would accumulate if copies of rotated copies etc. were used.

I seem to remember a GIMP script for this, but I can't find the one I am looking for just now. However, this should automate everything except making the initial selection:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/15534

Other things that might be useful in this context:

* To make the selection, place a vertical line down the center of the canvas (Image > Guides > New Guide (by percent). Make a new layer, fill it with white, and draw a black line right down the center using the guide. Then do Layer > Transform > Rotate and rotate the layer as many degrees as you need for your wedge (360/n.). Assuming you want to rotate your mandala parts around the center of the image, add a horizontal guide centered on the canvas, then use the "lasso" tool to make your selection as indicated by the guide lines and the line on your rotated white layer.

* Instead of deleting the unwanted parts of the source image, do the selection on your source image, invert it, add a layer mask and fill the selected area (of the mask) with black. Proceed as above with the copy and rotate process. Advantage: You can adjust the edges where the visible parts of the layers meet, by painting on the layer masks with black to remove visible pixels from the final image, or with white to restore "deleted" pixels to visibility. This will however give you a much larger XCF file.

* Place a vertical guide down the center of the canvas and free rotate, move etc. your source image layer until that guide line is right where you want one of the edges of your pattern's wedges to be. Select and add a mask as above. Then, duplicate the layer and do Layer > Transform

Flip horizontally. This will give you a wedge where the edges along

the vertical guide match perfectly. Merge the 2nd layer down into the first, duplicate and rotate until your circle is filled.

:o)

Steve Kinney
2016-10-29 17:39:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)

rotate pasted image

On 10/29/2016 01:34 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

DOH!

The paragraph in my last post that beging with:

To make the selection

Should end with:

Use the Lasso tool (clicking only, no dragging) guided by the guide lines on the canvas the line you drew and rotated to make your selection. Then discard your white scratch layer and proceed as above.

Tha'll learn me to proofread better.

:o)

2016-10-30 22:23:01 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

rotate pasted image

thank you all,I accomplished what I wanted,thanks for your help