RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Print command

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Print command Matthias Julius 22 Nov 19:34
  Print command Patrick Shanahan 22 Nov 21:18
Print command Matthias Julius 23 Nov 00:48
  Print command Patrick Shanahan 23 Nov 01:27
   Print command Geoffrey 23 Nov 02:15
Print command Matthias Julius 23 Nov 03:23
  Print command Sven Neumann 23 Nov 10:49
  Print command Geoffrey 23 Nov 12:47
  Print command Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 23 Nov 13:19
Print command Matthias Julius 23 Nov 17:36
Matthias Julius
2004-11-22 19:34:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Hi,

I am printing over CUPS using 'lpr' as print command. That works fine. Now I would like to pass the file name of the file being printed to lpr (via 'lpr -C'). Is that possible?

Matthias

Patrick Shanahan
2004-11-22 21:18:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

* Matthias Julius [11-22-04 14:55]:

I am printing over CUPS using 'lpr' as print command. That works fine. Now I would like to pass the file name of the file being printed to lpr (via 'lpr -C'). Is that possible?

issue from a command-line 'man lpr'. Then, if you do not understand, ask again.

Matthias Julius
2004-11-23 00:48:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Patrick Shanahan writes:

issue from a command-line 'man lpr'. Then, if you do not understand, ask again.

I know 'man lpr'. It says:

-C name Sets the job name.

But how can I get gimp to include the file name in the print command after the -C?

Matthias

Patrick Shanahan
2004-11-23 01:27:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

* Matthias Julius [11-22-04 19:18]:

But how can I get gimp to include the file name in the print command after the -C?

Are you trying to print from a gimp image -> File -> Print ? If so, set the print dialogue screen to your printer via the drop down box and print direct from gimp. You do not need to worry about -C name. I have an Epson sp925photo and the print-command which gimp selects for my printer is: lp -s -desp925gp -oraw

If this is *not* what you are trying to do, please explain further.

Geoffrey
2004-11-23 02:15:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Patrick Shanahan wrote:

* Matthias Julius [11-22-04 19:18]:

Are you trying to print from a gimp image -> File -> Print ? If so, set the print dialogue screen to your printer via the drop down box and print direct from gimp. You do not need to worry about -C name. I have an Epson sp925photo and the print-command which gimp selects for my printer is: lp -s -desp925gp -oraw

He wants to set the job name via -C:

From man lpr:

Matthias Julius
2004-11-23 03:23:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Patrick Shanahan writes:

Yes I am printing from the Gimp print dialog. And changing the printer in the printer setup does not affect the print command Gimp is choosing.

And it is printing fine as I wrote in my original post.

The only problem I have is that in the print job list every print job from Gimp has the name '(stdin)'. I would like the name of the printed file to appear there and from the lpr side this is done via the '-C' option. Now I need Gimp to insert the file name into the print command. So the print command specification in the printer setup should be something like 'lpr -C $filename' where Gimp is replacing $filename with the actual file name.

BTW, I am printing through CUPS. I don't know whether CUPS' lpr differs from standard lpr.

Matthias

Sven Neumann
2004-11-23 10:49:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Hi,

Matthias Julius writes:

The only problem I have is that in the print job list every print job from Gimp has the name '(stdin)'. I would like the name of the printed file to appear there and from the lpr side this is done via the '-C' option. Now I need Gimp to insert the file name into the print command. So the print command specification in the printer setup should be something like 'lpr -C $filename' where Gimp is replacing $filename with the actual file name.

Completely understodd. But that would need changes to the print plug-in. It is however scheduled to be replaced by a new plug-in for the next generation gimp-print library (or gutenprint which is its new name). If you want to see such a feature being added, please get in contact with the gimp-print/gutenprint developers. Their project is hosted on sourceforge.

Sven

Geoffrey
2004-11-23 12:47:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Matthias Julius wrote:

Patrick Shanahan writes:

Yes I am printing from the Gimp print dialog. And changing the printer in the printer setup does not affect the print command Gimp is choosing.

BTW, I am printing through CUPS. I don't know whether CUPS' lpr differs from standard lpr.

If in fact GIMP is printing via stdin, there will not be a file name associated. I suspect that you'll be out of luck as GIMP is probably not 'aware' of the file name at this point. After all, it may not even have a file name if you've just created the image. This is all speculation, thus you should likely wait to hear from someone who really knows. :)

Matthias

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-23 13:19:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Ok,

so -- there is no way to do what you want. The only way would be to implement it into the print plugin, possibly making it exapand "%f" on this field to the filename.
On Tuesday 23 November 2004 00:23, Matthias Julius wrote: (...)

Matthias

Matthias Julius
2004-11-23 17:36:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Print command

Geoffrey writes:

If in fact GIMP is printing via stdin, there will not be a file name associated. I suspect that you'll be out of luck as GIMP is probably not 'aware' of the file name at this point. After all, it may not even have a file name if you've just created the image. This is all speculation, thus you should likely wait to hear from someone who really knows. :)

I got a message from Sven per mail explaining that this is not available yet and I should talk to the developers of the print plugin. Although this mail was CC'd to the list it did not come through gmane yet.

However, if it is not the filename it could be the window name of the image window that is being printed. That usually includes the filename.

Matthias