RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Dockable Dialogs frustration

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Dockable Dialogs frustration Halie Vaughan 24 Jul 19:41
  Dockable Dialogs frustration Pat David 27 Jul 15:18
   Dockable Dialogs frustration Richard 27 Jul 17:32
    Dockable Dialogs frustration jdw-dd 07 Dec 12:21
     Dockable Dialogs frustration Michael Schumacher 08 Dec 20:11
      Dockable Dialogs frustration jdw-dd 12 Dec 19:12
Halie Vaughan
2016-07-24 19:41:11 UTC (almost 8 years ago)

My lockable dialogs continuously keep disappearing and I have to dock them again every single time that I use a tool. For example, I open up the toolbar and click on the select by color tool. As soon as I click the image that I’m working on all my dialogs disappear and then I have to reopen them, which is driving me crazy. Thank you for reading this, and I hope you reply soon.

Pat David
2016-07-27 15:18:05 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Are you in single window mode?

If not, is your main workspace window maximized in a way that the dialogs get hidden behind it when you click on the image/canvas?

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 4:39 PM Halie Vaughan wrote:

My lockable dialogs continuously keep disappearing and I have to dock them again every single time that I use a tool. For example, I open up the toolbar and click on the select by color tool. As soon as I click the image that I’m working on all my dialogs disappear and then I have to reopen them, which is driving me crazy. Thank you for reading this, and I hope you reply soon.
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Pat David
https://pixls.us
http://blog.patdavid.net
Richard
2016-07-27 17:32:40 UTC (over 7 years ago)

Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:18:05 +0000 To: sheltiesongs@gmail.com; gimp-user-list@gnome.org Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Dockable Dialogs frustration

Are you in single window mode?

If not, is your main workspace window maximized in a way that the dialogs get hidden behind it when you click on the image/canvas?

-- Pat David
https://pixls.us
http://blog.patdavid.net

Aren't the dockable toolbox windows supposed to be set as always-on-top so that an overlapping image window isn't necessarily a problem?

Anyway, check your GIMP preferences, Window Management, "hint for docks and toolbox". I believe the default setting is "utility window", which should imply always-on-top status by default (it at least works in Windows XP and Windows 10) .

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

2016-12-07 12:21:08 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I'm experiencing the same problem. I'm running 2.8.16 on Ubuntu 16.04. Was running GIMP on Ubuntu 12.04 for years and never had this problem but not sure what version of GIMP that was.

I don't like Single-Window Mode because it has less room and flexibility re: arranging. As soon as I click any Tool, Tool Options disappears! I then click Windows / Tool Options to get it back. I then right-click Tool Options and select "Always on Top." I then go to Edit / Preferences / Windows Management and tell GIMP to "Save Windows Positions Now." The default "Utility window" is selected as "Hint for docks." "Save windows position on exit" is not checked.

After right-clicking "Always on top," Tool Options remains on top ONLY for that session. Once I exit and restart GIMP, I again have to right-click "Always on top," so it's frustrating. Other GIMP settings seem to be saved. Would appreciate a workaround or fix!

Michael Schumacher
2016-12-08 20:11:54 UTC (over 7 years ago)

On 12/07/2016 01:21 PM, jdw-dd wrote:

I don't like Single-Window Mode because it has less room and flexibility re: arranging. As soon as I click any Tool, Tool Options disappears!

This is definitely not supposed to happen, and doesn't seem to happen to most users. The tool options are docked to the image window?

I then click Windows / Tool Options to get it back. I then right-click Tool Options and select "Always on Top."

That's a setting of your window manager then - go to GIMP's preferences, the window management section there is where the window hint setting mentioned in this thread is located.

I then go to Edit / Preferences / Windows Management and tell GIMP to "Save Windows Positions Now." The default "Utility window" is selected as "Hint for docks." "Save windows position on exit" is not checked.

As you didn't set the option in GIMP, this achieves nothing.

After right-clicking "Always on top," Tool Options remains on top ONLY for that session. Once I exit and restart GIMP, I again have to right-click "Always on top," so it's frustrating. Other GIMP settings seem to be saved. Would appreciate a workaround or fix!

See above - do it in the right place.

"Utility window" is supposed to be the correct default, though - it is supposed to keep the docks and dialogs on top of other GIMP windows, but not above other applications.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2016-12-12 19:12:43 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

I have tried all the "Hint for docks and toolbox" options under "Window Management" and "Save Windows position now" which hasn't solved the problem. I'll attach a screenshot of my setup.

In terms of the advice to "do it in the right place," do exactly what, where?

I'm wondering if the problem could have something to do with read-only status in an area where GIMP needs to save settings.