RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.2, First impressions

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.2, First impressions Jozsef Mak 16 Nov 18:53
  Gimp 2.2, First impressions Carol Spears 16 Nov 19:01
  Gimp 2.2, First impressions Sven Neumann 16 Nov 20:22
Gimp 2.2, First impressions Jozsef Mak 16 Nov 21:42
  Gimp 2.2, First impressions Sven Neumann 16 Nov 23:57
   Gimp 2.2, First impressions Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 17 Nov 01:01
Gimp 2.2, First impressions Jozsef Mak 17 Nov 02:36
  Gimp 2.2, First impressions Sven Neumann 17 Nov 11:31
Jozsef Mak
2004-11-16 18:53:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I have just installed Gimp 2.2 on my windows box and these are my first impressions. Over all I like the way this version turned out. The new filters are impressive; I like the new save and open dialogue boxes; also the cleaned up Script-fu plug ins; but here, I observed that sometimes the dialogue window pops up behind the main window rather than in the front. But not always, why is this?
I like the new rotation window but I have problem with the scale function. When I scale a selection, sometimes a duplicate image appears in the window. When I hit the scale button the original image gets scaled but occasionally the secondary image remains on the screen. Then I have to move the original one over the remnants; this then erases it as the eraser tool does. I don

Carol Spears
2004-11-16 19:01:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:53:48PM -0500, Jozsef Mak wrote:

One more thing, which is not related to this particular release of Gimp. Why is it that the dialogue boxes in Gimp are so large? By the way, this feature characterizes most open source applications. If you look at Photoshop or Fireworks, for instance, you immediately notice that their dialogue boxes are almost half the size of Gimp?s. The brand new New Layer window box has four options: Foreground color, Background color, White and Transparency, all in one column. If the layout would be two rows rather than a single column the height of the dialogue box could be reduced at least 2 cm, which would make the window more compact and less obtrusive. The same is the case with the filter windows. Next to the preview window there is plenty of unused space, which would be a logical location for the preview check box. With these rearrangements the filter windows too could have been made significantly smaller. I also think that the Save, Cancel and usually the dialogue box buttons are way too large, wasting lots of space.

free software developers are near-sighted?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-11-16 20:22:17 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

One more thing, which is not related to this particular release of Gimp. Why is it that the dialogue boxes in Gimp are so large?

You could go to the Preferences dialog and select the Small theme. Did you try that?

Sven

Jozsef Mak
2004-11-16 21:42:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi Sven,

Thanks for this advice. I was not aware of this option. The small theme fits much better to my taste. But I still think that by fine-tuning the layout the dialogue windows can be made more compact.

Regards, J. Mak

To: "Jozsef Mak"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.2, First impressions Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:22:17 +0100

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

One more thing, which is not related to this particular release of Gimp. Why is it that the dialogue boxes in Gimp are so large?

You could go to the Preferences dialog and select the Small theme. Did you try that?

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-11-16 23:57:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

Thanks for this advice. I was not aware of this option. The small theme fits much better to my taste. But I still think that by fine-tuning the layout the dialogue windows can be made more compact.

The goal for 2.2 was to achieve a consistent and pleasant look. We followed the advices of the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines and used the spacings suggested there for most dialogs. We might consider to allow these spacings to be customized using style properties. This would make it possible to tune thes from the theme. That would be quite an effort though since all dialogs would have to be touched. If someone want to do this (comparably easy but rather large) task in the next development cycle, that would be welcomed.

Sven

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2004-11-17 01:01:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

The goal for 2.2 was to achieve a consistent and pleasant look. We followed the advices of the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines and used the spacings suggested there for most dialogs.

Does this mean Gimp on Windows will have a GNOME "feel" to it?

Peace...

Tom

Jozsef Mak
2004-11-17 02:36:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

To: "Jozsef Mak"
CC: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.2, First impressions Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:57:06 +0100

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

The goal for 2.2 was to achieve a consistent and pleasant look. We followed the advices of the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines and used the spacings suggested there for most dialogs. We might consider to allow these spacings to be customized using style properties. This would make it possible to tune thes from the theme. That would be quite an effort though since all dialogs would have to be touched. If someone want to do this (comparably easy but rather large) task in the next development cycle, that would be welcomed.

Sven

In my view, there is no need to complicate Gimp with additional options; especially, because its interface is getting better all the time. In art school, my art teacher used to say, every pleasing composition has to have a center of interest. Every additional component in the arrangement should support this main element, otherwise, the design becomes confusing. This principle, in my view, can be applied to other fields as well. In the case of the dialogue boxes the center of interests is the settings and the options; in the hierarchy of components, the rest (such as the Cancel and Save buttons) is secondary.
In addition, it is good to keep in mind that pop up windows always disrupt the workflow, therefore, it make sense to make them as unobtrusive as possible. This is one of the reasons, I guess, that Photoshop but also Inkscape (to which I applaud) places increasingly more options on the upper toolbar

Sven Neumann
2004-11-17 11:31:08 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Jozsef Mak" writes:

In addition, it is good to keep in mind that pop up windows always disrupt the workflow, therefore, it make sense to make them as unobtrusive as possible. This is one of the reasons, I guess, that Photoshop but also Inkscape (to which I applaud) places increasingly more options on the upper toolbar to eliminate the need of creating additional pop up windows.

You will notice that GIMP 2.2 creates less popup windows as well. There is certainly room for further improvements here but reducing the number of dialogs that pop up for common workflows is definitely one of our goals.

Sven