RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Curving an image

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Curving an image Barton Bosch 10 Nov 00:44
  Curving an image Eric Pierce 10 Nov 01:21
  Curving an image Carol Spears 10 Nov 09:44
   Curving an image Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 10 Nov 11:41
    Curving an image Barton Bosch 13 Nov 02:49
     Curving an image Sven Neumann 13 Nov 03:56
      Curving an image Barton Bosch 13 Nov 07:37
       Curving an image Sven Neumann 13 Nov 14:20
        Curving an image Barton Bosch 13 Nov 18:21
      Curving an image Alan Horkan 13 Nov 20:30
       Curving an image Sven Neumann 13 Nov 21:48
Barton Bosch
2004-11-10 00:44:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

What are the best ways to take an image of a straight line and bend it into an s-curve with The GIMP? I have tried the perspective and shear tools as well as the distort->curve bend filter without producing an ideal result.

Are there other options? I'd like to be able to set some points and pull them around with the mouse similar to the UI for the path tool.

Thanks,

Barton

Eric Pierce
2004-11-10 01:21:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Filters -> Distorts -> Curve Bend

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:44:52PM -0800, Barton Bosch wrote:

What are the best ways to take an image of a straight line and bend it into an s-curve with The GIMP? I have tried the perspective and shear tools as well as the distort->curve bend filter without producing an ideal result.

Are there other options? I'd like to be able to set some points and pull them around with the mouse similar to the UI for the path tool.

Thanks,

Barton

Carol Spears
2004-11-10 09:44:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

i have had limited success with Filters -->Map -->Map Object.

you can play with all sorts of variables, in the dialogs and also with the image you are mapping.

both the cylinder and the sphere do some interesting curving.

it is a plug-in that you must be patient with and try a lot of different things with. it is also the only plug-in that i pushed my "Reset all Plug-Ins" option for as it does not (yet) have its own reset button.

it has recently been crashing on Map to Box when you move it along the z axis, but not everyone has been able to reproduce this crash.

notice and play with the tabs. give the plug-in what it wants. it will not give you what you wanted, but the result is not bad and you can try it again giving it more or less space.

or you can brush up on your polar coordinate options and use Filter -->Distorts -->Polar Coords. i didnt like these in mathematics and i am not so good with them in graphical design either.

i hope this helps, carol

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-10 11:41:35 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 06:44, Carol Spears wrote:

In a word: iwarp .

Search for the iwarp filter in the Distorts menu - that is your man.

i have had limited success with Filters -->Map -->Map Object.

Heh...I gave a lecture on the GIMP yesterday. Just I had a computer and about 50 people watching - I will never forget their faces when I hit map to object -> map to box, and it started rendering in a way that would take about 2 minutes to complete, and, in the mean time, I just went on using the program, showing the other filters in the menus, as if the program were idle!!!!

JS ->

Barton Bosch
2004-11-13 02:49:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 06:44, Carol Spears wrote:

In a word: iwarp .

Search for the iwarp filter in the Distorts menu - that is your man.

Huh, I tried the Iwarp filter but it seems to be broken (GIMP 2.0.4 from the FC2 rpm).

It showed the layer in the preview window but regardless of any changes in parameters it didn't alter the image at all. Did I miss something, is this a known problem or a mystery?

Barton

Sven Neumann
2004-11-13 03:56:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

Huh, I tried the Iwarp filter but it seems to be broken (GIMP 2.0.4 from the FC2 rpm).

It showed the layer in the preview window but regardless of any changes in parameters it didn't alter the image at all. Did I miss something, is this a known problem or a mystery?

You missed the fact that you need to manipulate the preview by clicking and dragging it. It isn't easily discoverable, I admit. Patches to improve this or contributions to the help are of course appreciated.

Sven

Barton Bosch
2004-11-13 07:37:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

You missed the fact that you need to manipulate the preview by clicking and dragging it. It isn't easily discoverable, I admit. Patches to improve this or contributions to the help are of course appreciated.

I was wondering whether the parameters were unnecessarily vague or I was just failing to grok the filter. Just now gave it a whirl and it is the filter for the task.

You're probably way ahead of me on this but wouldn't a larger preview window and an expanded UI (e.g., like the path tool) be great with Iwarp? Maybe implementing it as a tool rather than a filter would be in order as well?

Regardless, I've been doing some real work (TM) with The GIMP lately and I'd like to say thanks for the excellent app and all of the effort that goes into creating it, thanks a lot.

Ciao,

Barton

Sven Neumann
2004-11-13 14:20:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

You're probably way ahead of me on this but wouldn't a larger preview window and an expanded UI (e.g., like the path tool) be great with Iwarp? Maybe implementing it as a tool rather than a filter would be in order as well?

Sure, noone would disagree that the plug-in urgently needs some love. But so far noone has taken responsibility for it. There are a lot of plug-ins that are part of the distribution but are basically unmaintained. We don't have enough developer resources to work on the core and improve the ~ 200 plug-ins in the GIMP tree.

As I said already, if you want to contribute, please do so. You wouldn't have to necessarily write code. The GIMP help team (the people working on the user manual) are looking for contributors as well as the GIMP web team.

Sven

Barton Bosch
2004-11-13 18:21:05 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

Sure, noone would disagree that the plug-in urgently needs some love. But so far noone has taken responsibility for it. There are a lot of plug-ins that are part of the distribution but are basically unmaintained. We don't have enough developer resources to work on the core and improve the ~ 200 plug-ins in the GIMP tree.

Heh heh. I fully appreciate your point and understand what it means for a project on the scale of The GIMP to be brought into the world by volunteers. I hope that the understanding is reciprocated in that my comments shouldn't be taken as implying dissatisfaction with the developers' efforts or any kind of demand for a specific feature to be implemented. Just casual commentary to be taken for what its worth.

As I said already, if you want to contribute, please do so. You wouldn't have to necessarily write code. The GIMP help team (the people working on the user manual) are looking for contributors as well as the GIMP web team.

Other than a little photo cropping, the last few days have been the first opportunity I've had to do any significant gimping. To this point I've been contributing by not messing up the works with my ignorance of digital image manipulation in general or of The GIMP in particular.

With a little bit of experience I may actually have something worthwhile to contribute so I'll check into the documentation project in the near future.

Regards,

Barton

Alan Horkan
2004-11-13 20:30:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 03:56:25 +0100 From: Sven Neumann
To: Barton Bosch
Cc: Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Curving an image

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

If the cursor changed to a brush or something on mouseover of the preview it might help improve discovery. I assume it would be difficult to do but I'm pretty sure having Warp as a generic tool would please some users very much.

- Alan

Sven Neumann
2004-11-13 21:48:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Curving an image

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

If the cursor changed to a brush or something on mouseover of the preview it might help improve discovery.

It does that in GIMP 2.2.

Sven