RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Not using PNG transparency

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Not using PNG transparency Karine Proot 09 Nov 15:43
  Not using PNG transparency Dave Neary 09 Nov 16:37
  Not using PNG transparency Carol Spears 09 Nov 16:39
   [OT] Re: Not using PNG transparency Karine Proot 09 Nov 17:01
    [OT] Re: Not using PNG transparency Karine Proot 09 Nov 17:23
     [OT] Re: Not using PNG transparency Carol Spears 09 Nov 17:47
  Not using PNG transparency Michael Schumacher 09 Nov 17:25
   Not using PNG transparency Karine Proot 09 Nov 17:42
    Not using PNG transparency olivier ripoll 09 Nov 18:12
a7c9cac004110907087d492f0b@... 07 Oct 20:16
  Not using PNG transparency Jakub Friedl (lists) 09 Nov 16:25
  Not using PNG transparency Karine Proot 09 Nov 16:37
Karine Proot
2004-11-09 15:43:15 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello list,

I just gave a look at my website using IE, and horror - I had forgotten it cannot handle PNG transparency. So of course one option is to ignore the problem and expect IE to be able to handle it somewhere in the future.

Anyway, would I want to do something about it, I wouldn't know how to handle the problem with the Gimp.
* If I choose to save the image in another format (like GIF which transparency is handled fine), I loose quality. Take for example wilber_the_gimp2.png from www.gimp.org and try to save it as GIF : the nice shade will become a black block, and the antialiasing is lost. * If I choose to remove the transparency (which is bad in itself but remains an option), I don't know how to replace it with a color (like white) in images like wilber_the_gimp2.png where the transparency is progressive.

Would anyone help me / point me to ressources to solve either of these options?

Thanks,
Karine

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2004-11-09 16:25:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

nice shade will become a black block, and the antialiasing is lost.

this is limitation of gif format, nothing can be done about it pixels in gif can be only full opaque or full transparent

remains an option), I don't know how to replace it with a color (like white) in images like wilber_the_gimp2.png where the transparency is progressive.

make a layer below the transparent image (background) with required color and flatten the image then

the most elegant solution is to send png images with transparency to modern browsers and gif or nontransparent image to that microsoft garbage. if you place images on a page via CSS it is not hard to achieve (use child selectors for the things ie should not see)

Karine Proot
2004-11-09 16:37:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Jakub Friedl (lists) wrote:

remains an option), I don't know how to replace it with a color (like white) in images like wilber_the_gimp2.png where the transparency is progressive.

make a layer below the transparent image (background) with required color and flatten the image then

Thanks - I also got a simpler answer : set the background color in Gimp to the one you want, and then save the PNG file checking the box "save background color".

the most elegant solution is to send png images with transparency to modern browsers and gif or nontransparent image to that microsoft garbage. if you place images on a page via CSS it is not hard to achieve (use child selectors for the things ie should not see)

That's a great idea. It's not the first time I encounter child selectors but am still annoyed to be forced to use css hacks because of that crappy IE (mainly because looking at the css becomes a pain after that). Anyway no solution is perfect as long as one wants to deal with IE. Thanks a lot.

Dave Neary
2004-11-09 16:37:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi Karine,

Quoting Karine Proot :

* If I choose to remove the transparency (which is bad in itself but remains an option), I don't know how to replace it with a color (like white) in images like wilber_the_gimp2.png where the transparency is progressive.

To set the background to white, for example, while keeping the shades, you would create a new layer, put it underneath the wilber layer, and fill the layer with white. Then merging and saving as GIF should give you reasonable results (well, as good as possible with a 256 color palette). You could also convert to indexed at that stage and save as PNG which would be OK in IE, rather than using the GIF format.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Carol Spears
2004-11-09 16:39:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 03:43:15PM +0100, Karine Proot wrote:

Hello list,

I just gave a look at my website using IE, and horror - I had forgotten it cannot handle PNG transparency. So of course one option is to ignore the problem and expect IE to be able to handle it somewhere in the future.

when you are saving your image as a png there is a dialog. one of the options on the dialog is "Save with Background Color", toggle that and make sure that the color of your web page is in the gimp's toolkit as the background color. ie will get the color from this information. unfortunately, it will not handle multicolor backgrounds.

it is a giant corporation who are paid well to meet your needs, the people who author this browser. perhaps you could ask them and let us know. i have never purchased or used their software (very much). did it come with a support phone number or email? this issue comes up often, if you could find out for us and let us know ....

carol

Karine Proot
2004-11-09 17:01:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

[OT] Re: Not using PNG transparency

Carol Spears wrote:

when you are saving your image as a png there is a dialog. one of the options on the dialog is "Save with Background Color", toggle that and make sure that the color of your web page is in the gimp's toolkit as the background color. ie will get the color from this information. unfortunately, it will not handle multicolor backgrounds.

This is indeed the simplest solution, thanks.

it is a giant corporation who are paid well to meet your needs, the people who author this browser. perhaps you could ask them and let us know. i have never purchased or used their software (very much). did it come with a support phone number or email? this issue comes up often, if you could find out for us and let us know ....

carol

Well, I gave it a try for the fun of it. Note that IE is a free -as in beer- browser so there is no 'mandatory' support. Anyway from the help menu I tried:
- Online support : gave me a nice "We’re sorry, we were unable to service your request. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about Microsoft services and products." None of the links provided after that disclaimer adresses Internet Explorer. - Send comments : gave me another nice "Sorry, page not available".

Thanks for the suggestion though, the result made me smile (as in 'how long will people keep saying IE is good enough...')

Karine Proot
2004-11-09 17:23:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Carol (sorry for being OffTopic again while replying to your request), I searched more and I finally found something :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294714

Basically the support says "Use some proprietary method that no other browser will understand to get your transparency back in PNG."

Michael Schumacher
2004-11-09 17:25:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Karine Proot wrote:

Hello list,

If you don't mind using special CSS for IE: http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

HTH, Michael

Karine Proot
2004-11-09 17:42:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Michael Schumacher wrote:
> If you don't mind using special CSS for IE:

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

HTH, Michael

Thanks for the ressource, however I am a bit reluctant about adding so much code when all I wanted first was to display an image. I will rather make non-transparent PNG.

It seems that explaining why I was trying to do that raised a lot of OffTopic traffic, so now that I have my answers: * GIF is not able to handle transparency as beautifully as PNG * PNG transparency can be nicely removed with the 'Save image background' checkbox
I guess we can close this topic on the list (private mail about ressources handling my IE problem are welcome).

Next time I will try not to mention the reasons if one can expect OT answers :)

Thanks to all
Karine

Carol Spears
2004-11-09 17:47:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:23:01PM +0100, Karine Proot wrote:

Carol (sorry for being OffTopic again while replying to your request), I searched more and I finally found something :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294714

Basically the support says "Use some proprietary method that no other browser will understand to get your transparency back in PNG."

it is on the border of being off-topic, it is an issue that affects people who use their computer to make graphics and view the internet with.

this internet explorer browser is so anti-american. forgive me for this. what i learned about my country in the education system that my country provided for me was that we were using capitalism as a method to build a strong country. the only thing i actually see going on is corporate welfare. where the big strong company needs government funding, your faith and compliance.

the mozilla people compete with themselves mostly. internet explorer doesnt feel any competition, sitting there fat and lazy slurping up government funding and your faith doing what? nothing.

this is not what they told me was going on when i lived in a capitalistic society. i dont even know if i want to live in one of those, i am just saying i have yet to see it.

bleh, sorry. carol

olivier ripoll
2004-11-09 18:12:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Karine Proot wrote:

Michael Schumacher wrote:
> If you don't mind using special CSS for IE:

http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html

HTH, Michael

Thanks for the ressource, however I am a bit reluctant about adding so much code when all I wanted first was to display an image. I will rather make non-transparent PNG.

Have also a look at IE7.
http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/
http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/overview/ and here for the PNG transparency test: http://dean.edwards.name/IE7/compatibility/png.html

It is a set of CSS and javascripts/DHTML that makes IE follow the W3C standards (CSS1,2,3). It is quite amazing, and you do not have to modify much of your web pages (just 2 lines in the head section).

Regards,

Olivier