RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

renaming the gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

38 of 38 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

renaming the gimp Gezim Hoxha 07 Nov 10:08
  renaming the gimp Kevin Waterson 07 Nov 10:26
   renaming the gimp regis rampnoux 07 Nov 10:48
    renaming the gimp Jakub Friedl (lists) 07 Nov 11:05
     renaming the gimp John Dietsch 07 Nov 19:55
    renaming the gimp Kevin Waterson 07 Nov 12:07
  renaming the gimp Jakub Friedl (lists) 07 Nov 10:36
   renaming the gimp Gezim Hoxha 07 Nov 12:23
    renaming the gimp Jakub Friedl (lists) 07 Nov 12:42
  renaming the gimp david thompson 07 Nov 11:21
  renaming the gimp Geoffrey 07 Nov 13:07
  renaming the gimp Carol Spears 07 Nov 17:40
  renaming the gimp Wayne Maeda 07 Nov 18:46
  renaming the gimp John Richard Smith 07 Nov 19:31
   renaming the gimp nate cockram 07 Nov 19:34
    renaming the gimp Alan Horkan 08 Nov 01:52
  renaming the gimp Tom 07 Nov 19:48
  renaming the gimp Owen Cook 07 Nov 23:39
   renaming the gimp Marco Wessel 07 Nov 23:47
  renaming the gimp Alan Horkan 08 Nov 01:46
  renaming the gimp olivier ripoll 08 Nov 09:55
renaming the gimp Bob Long 07 Nov 10:15
renaming the gimp Andrew 07 Nov 20:27
  renaming the gimp ivanova 07 Nov 22:08
renaming the gimp Asif Lodhi 07 Nov 23:56
renaming the gimp Asif Lodhi 08 Nov 00:05
renaming the gimp Kevin Myers 08 Nov 03:24
  renaming the gimp Gezim Hoxha 08 Nov 09:30
   renaming the gimp Carol Spears 08 Nov 19:45
    renaming the gimp Gezim Hoxha 09 Nov 04:31
     renaming the gimp Carol Spears 09 Nov 04:41
     renaming the gimp christian 09 Nov 09:14
  renaming the gimp olivier ripoll 08 Nov 09:47
  renaming the gimp Sven Neumann 08 Nov 09:49
  [OT] Re: renaming the gimp Alan Horkan 08 Nov 17:31
renaming the gimp Kevin Myers 08 Nov 03:40
  International Relations on the list [Off topic] - was Re: renaming the gimp Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 08 Nov 03:53
renaming the gimp david thompson 08 Nov 11:19
Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-07 10:08:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Hi all,

I find the name GIMP not very attractive and I think if we want to market the GIMP we need to do something about this name (i.e. change it). I have friends ask me "What program is that?" and the when they hear "GIMP" it doesn't sound good, and it's hard to remember. So what do YOU think, does the GIMP need a name change?

Thanks,
--Gezim

P.S: I know GIMP is an acronym, but [almost] no one calls it GNU Image Manipulation Program either.

Bob Long
2004-11-07 10:15:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Sunday, November 07, 2004 7:08 PM [GMT+1=CET], Gezim Hoxha wrote:

So what do YOU think, does the GIMP need a name change?

Well, as you ask, I do NOT think a name change is needed. The GIMP is great! The name is fine, and it's not a name I have trouble remembering.

Bob Long

Kevin Waterson
2004-11-07 10:26:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

This one time, at band camp, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

I find the name GIMP not very attractive and I think if we want to market the GIMP we need to do something about this name (i.e. change it). I have friends ask me "What program is that?" and the when they hear "GIMP" it doesn't sound good, and it's hard to remember. So what do YOU think, does the GIMP need a name change?

How about Photochop?

Kevin

--------- "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2004-11-07 10:36:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

remember. So what do YOU think, does the GIMP need a name change?

No. The name is very nice and many people already know it. It is a good brand. Even people that never used it often heard about the Gimp.
And the name is very easy to remember. It is only 4 letters short and it has a meaning - Gnu Image Manipulation Program. So I do not get what you do not like about the name. There are lots of free programs that do not have ideal names (some are really obscure), but the Gimp is one I really like.

Jakub Friedl

regis rampnoux
2004-11-07 10:48:26 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On 07-Nov-2004 Kevin Waterson wrote:

I find the name GIMP not very attractive and I think if we want to market the GIMP we need to do something about this name (i.e. change it). I have friends ask me "What program is that?" and the when they hear

But you can do a demo and it is better than they have a false knowledge about it!

How about Photochop?

Is it a shop where we can buy photographic material?

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2004-11-07 11:05:44 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

But you can do a demo and it is better than they have a false knowledge about it!

Insightful remark. Gimp is the Gimp. Not a Photoshop clone. It shouldn't be the same and its name shouldn't imply it. It is an original software.

david thompson
2004-11-07 11:21:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Yes, the GIMP does make you think of the disabled!!

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
--Gezim

P.S: I know GIMP is an acronym, but [almost] no one calls it GNU Image Manipulation Program either.

Kevin Waterson
2004-11-07 12:07:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

This one time, at band camp, regis rampnoux wrote:

On 07-Nov-2004 Kevin Waterson wrote:

I find the name GIMP not very attractive and I think if we want to market the GIMP we need to do something about this name (i.e. change it). I have friends ask me "What program is that?" and the when they hear

How about Photochop?

Is it a shop where we can buy photographic material?

No no no, Photo Chop, with a C.. no photoshop..

muttering something about a good joke wasted... Kevin

---------
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-07 12:23:23 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

So I do not get what you do not like about the name. There are lots of free programs that do not have ideal names
(some are really obscure), but the Gimp is one I really like.

Jakub Friedl

THe name should imply/tell something about the application...GIMP doesn't say anything to me other than a disabled person. I know that gimp is popular...with the current name, and it may well make it BIG with the current name...I just think a more appealing name would have been more appropriate. (good one that is in use: imagemajic: it tells something (i.e. image))

--Gezim

Jakub Friedl (lists)
2004-11-07 12:42:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

THe name should imply/tell something about the application...GIMP doesn't say anything to me other

With good brands it happens often the other way - Xerox comes to mind immediatelly. But there are many more such examples.

My experience is that many people around me mix all the similar names - Photoshop, PhotoPaint, Paint Shop Pro etc...

This happens to me every other day: "I would like to fix those red eyes, how do I do it?" "What program do you use?"
"Adobe PhotoPaint."

or

"Photoshop Pro"

This does not happen with the Gimp.

Geoffrey
2004-11-07 13:07:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

I'm perfectly happy with the name.

Carol Spears
2004-11-07 17:40:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 01:08:39AM -0800, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

I find the name GIMP not very attractive and I think if we want to market the GIMP we need to do something about this name (i.e. change it).

well here you go. gimp is nice and doing just fine not being marketed.

i actually felt the need to explain to a nice volunteer who had recently started working for a marketing company that it was very very important not to share the secrets of gimps success with his company.

the fact that the developers do not have to answer to marketing departments is one of the facts that makes gimp fun to volunteer for as well as such a useful utility application.

carol

Wayne Maeda
2004-11-07 18:46:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Saturday 06 November 2004 11:08 pm, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

I find the name GIMP not very attractive and I think if we want to market the GIMP we need to do something about this name (i.e. change it).

How about we call it "SNOT" or "PHLEGM?"

John Richard Smith
2004-11-07 19:31:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
--Gezim

Funny,

When I arrived in Linux a mere 4 years ago and found Gimp, I worked out what it meant and became fond of the name in no time at all.

To my mind changing the name now would be like renaming the Statue of Liberty to something like statue of false hope.

John

nate cockram
2004-11-07 19:34:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

To my mind changing the name now would be like renaming the Statue of Liberty to something like statue of false hope.

Hmm... well, now that you mention it...

:/

Tom
2004-11-07 19:48:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

The name is fine. It's unusual and easy to remember. It never made me think of a disabled person until it was mentioned here. ... PhotoChop? ... now that makes me think of 'butcher'.

John Dietsch
2004-11-07 19:55:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Jakub Friedl (lists) wrote: Very well put & a very good piece of software as well. J Dietsch

Insightful remark. Gimp is the Gimp. Not a Photoshop clone. It shouldn't be the same and its name shouldn't imply it. It is an original software.

Andrew
2004-11-07 20:27:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

PhotoChop, photochip, potatochip, potatocrop, protocrop, protoshop, protogimp, protochimp, photochamp, chomp, chump....

What about nimph? (nude image manipulation program hoho)

Andrew

ivanova
2004-11-07 22:08:38 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:27:10 +0100 Andrew wrote:

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

PhotoChop, photochip, potatochip, potatocrop, protocrop, protoshop, protogimp, protochimp, photochamp, chomp, chump....

What about nimph? (nude image manipulation program hoho)

Thats a good one, very funny ;)

Owen Cook
2004-11-07 23:39:32 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Corrupt the acronym ..the "Great Image Manipulation Program"

and if you didn't do an install-strip, you might want to call it the "Bloody Large Image Manipulation Progam" or BLIMP for short

ciao

Owen

Marco Wessel
2004-11-07 23:47:27 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:39:32AM +1100, Owen Cook wrote:

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Corrupt the acronym ..the "Great Image Manipulation Program"

and if you didn't do an install-strip, you might want to call it the "Bloody Large Image Manipulation Progam" or BLIMP for short

Or for the Chinese market: The Government Image Censoring Application, or the GICA.

---

No, The GIMP does not need a namechange. I don't think filmgimp, now cinepaint, got any more popular when it changed names.

Marco

Asif Lodhi
2004-11-07 23:56:09 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Jakub Friedl Wrote ....

THe name should imply/tell something about the application...GIMP doesn't say anything to me other

With good brands it happens often the other way - Xerox comes to mind immediatelly. But there are many more such examples.

YES. Apple Computers, for example. Macintosh is another (it also means a raincoat, doesn't it?)

Best

Asif

Asif Lodhi
2004-11-08 00:05:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Tom wrote .........

The name is fine. It's unusual and easy to remember. It never made me think of a disabled person until it was mentioned here. ... PhotoChop? ... now that makes me think of 'butcher'.

Please follow this dictionary link: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=GIMP

GIMP also means spirit, pep.

Best

Asif

Alan Horkan
2004-11-08 01:46:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 01:08:39 -0800 (PST) From: Gezim Hoxha
To: gimp user
Subject: [Gimp-user] renaming the gimp

Hi all,

While I agree I doubt the developers will.

mb2, Mozilla Phoenix, Mozilla Firebird, Mozilla Firefox went through several name changes and will very likely be rebranded as Netscape at some point in the future and as a result they made sure that the name was cleanly abstracted and there is an extension that allows you to change the name to anything you want (at runtime, it is not just a compile time option).

What the developers might agree to is to allow the branding to be customisable. They would very likely expect those who have issues with the connotations* of the brand name to do the work required but I hope they would see the wisdom in allowing such patches to be accepted in principle. Seems like a fairer solution than telling people to "go fork themselves" :)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/ Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org Free SVG Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

Alan Horkan
2004-11-08 01:52:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, nate cockram wrote:

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:34:59 -0500 From: nate cockram
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] renaming the gimp

Hmm... well, now that you mention it...

"The French called, they want their statue back!"

Kevin Myers
2004-11-08 03:24:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Please give my regards to the French, and speaking of Liberty, you might want to recall who liberated France from German occupation, not once, but twice. Also perhaps mention the fact that the USA also protected all of Europe from the Soviet Union for half a century, at great cost to every man, woman, and child in the USA. Debt for and justifiable claim to the Statue of Liberty paid in full. Case closed.

Before modern day liberals in France and their ilk have any ground to stand on at all, maybe they might consider helping us for a change, rather than selling weapons to Saddam Hussein for use on his countrymen and neighbors.

Seems to me that someone who makes irresponsible statements like the one below is forgetting who the real terrorists are in the world. Maybe you'd rather go live with them or invite them to run your government and see just how much liberty you have then.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ---

Kevin Myers
2004-11-08 03:40:37 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Maybe I jumped on Alan a too harshly. But I'm afraid that folks who lost friends and relatives on the Normandy beachheads and in the World Trade center don't have too much patience for comments along those lines.

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2004-11-08 03:53:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

International Relations on the list [Off topic] - was Re: renaming the gimp

This has got way OT already.

Please, no one send any other e-mail involving politics. Animosities could explode on either side, and this won't help colaborative work for Free Software, be it the GIMP or any other project.

There are apropriate channels on the internet for such arguing.

On Monday 08 November 2004 00:40, Kevin Myers wrote:

Maybe I jumped on Alan a too harshly.

Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-08 09:30:57 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

--- Kevin Myers wrote:

Please give my regards to the French, and speaking of Liberty, you might
want to recall who liberated France from German occupation, not once, but
twice. Also perhaps mention the fact that the USA also protected all of
Europe from the Soviet Union for half a century, at great cost to every man,
woman, and child in the USA. Debt for and justifiable claim to the Statue
of Liberty paid in full. Case closed.

Before modern day liberals in France and their ilk have any ground to stand
on at all, maybe they might consider helping us for a change, rather than
selling weapons to Saddam Hussein for use on his countrymen and neighbors.

Seems to me that someone who makes irresponsible statements like the one
below is forgetting who the real terrorists are in the world. Maybe you'd
rather go live with them or invite them to run your government and see just
how much liberty you have then.

s/KAM

olivier ripoll
2004-11-08 09:47:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Kevin Myers wrote:

Please give my regards to the French, and speaking of Liberty, you might want to recall who liberated France from German occupation, not once, but twice. Also perhaps mention the fact that the USA also protected all of Europe from the Soviet Union for half a century, at great cost to every man, woman, and child in the USA. Debt for and justifiable claim to the Statue of Liberty paid in full. Case closed.

Before modern day liberals in France and their ilk have any ground to stand on at all, maybe they might consider helping us for a change, rather than selling weapons to Saddam Hussein for use on his countrymen and neighbors.

Seems to me that someone who makes irresponsible statements like the one below is forgetting who the real terrorists are in the world. Maybe you'd rather go live with them or invite them to run your government and see just how much liberty you have then.

s/KAM

Couls we keep these mails out of the list. They are not only off-topic, but contain about one historical or factual mistake per line.

Thanks in advance.

Olivier.

Sven Neumann
2004-11-08 09:49:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Hi,

"Kevin Myers" writes:

Perhaps you should remember who supported Saddam in the first place and helped him to become the despot he was (or even established him in this position). It isn't all that simple as you put it.

Anyway, this is completely offtopic here. If you want to reply to this, please do so off-list.

Sven

olivier ripoll
2004-11-08 09:55:03 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Gezim Hoxha wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks,
--Gezim

To paraphrase Terry Jones:

"Is this a kind of joke ?"

I like "Gimp": Every time I watch "The Big Lebowsky", I always think Jeff Bridges talks about Wilber ;)

Regards,

Olivier.

david thompson
2004-11-08 11:19:40 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Didnt the americans also sell arms to iraq?

Please give my regards to the French, and speaking of Liberty, you might want to recall who liberated France from German occupation, not once, but twice.

It is said that the americans were late for the first two world wars, but they are are going to be prompt for the third.

Seems to me that someone who makes irresponsible statements like the one below is forgetting who the real terrorists are in the world.

Terrorists or freedom fighters?

Alan Horkan
2004-11-08 17:31:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

[OT] Re: renaming the gimp

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Kevin Myers wrote:

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:24:18 -0600 From: Kevin Myers
Reply-To: Kevin Myers

Please give my regards to the French, and speaking of Liberty, you might want to recall who liberated France from German occupation, not once, but

It was a joke. I had hoped that in this unusual discussion about trying to change the name of the GIMP that some humour might be acceptable but I geuss not.

Unfortunately some people (the kind who eat "Freedom Fries") have suggested giving it back the statue in all seriousness.

Another joke "Canada apologizes" gives another perspective on the American efforts in World War 2 but from your reaction you probably wont see the funny side of that either. http://www.espy.ca/news.php?id=401

twice. Also perhaps mention the fact that the USA also protected all of Europe from the Soviet Union for half a century, at great cost to every man, woman, and child in the USA. Debt for and justifiable claim to the Statue of Liberty paid in full. Case closed.

Again the statue was a gift of friendship and it was a joke.

I'll resist the temptation to tell another joke, but suffice to say the French do like most American people and it is generally American politics that they and other around the world dislike. Slightly less than half of American who vote dont seem to like the current administration either.

Seems to me that someone who makes irresponsible statements like the one below is forgetting who the real terrorists are in the world.

If we cannot make jokes sometimes the terrorist and religous fundamentalists have already won.

Again apologies to the other list members, I hoped my comment would be recongised as a joke but unfortunately it was not. I'll try not to make jokes in future. (And I'll try to resist commenting further on this topic.)

- Alan H.

Carol Spears
2004-11-08 19:45:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

see, the rude parts in this email is in the refusal to strip them properly. please read:
http://www.gimp.org/mail_lists.html
jump right down to Mail List Etiquette

human beings are the worst species ever to crawl this planet. however, email can be controled and this starts with you and how you use your computer.

thank you.

carol

Gezim Hoxha
2004-11-09 04:31:21 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

see, the rude parts in this email is in the refusal to strip them
properly.

I guess this is for my last reply. Here's the thing...I hit reply (in yahoo) and then forgetting that the default reply email goes not to the list but to the person who last replied, i wrote the nice (short) reply...after I hit "send" i realized that it went to the person not the list. So I hit back in my browser (and assuming my short message was still there) I hit "send" again, this time with the gimp-user email in the "to" field. Then I found out that the message was just junk with nothing from me added, and I was a little embarased. And I apologize.

-Gezim

Carol Spears
2004-11-09 04:41:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 07:31:21PM -0800, Gezim Hoxha wrote:

see, the rude parts in this email is in the refusal to strip them
properly.

I guess this is for my last reply. Here's the thing...I hit reply (in yahoo) and then forgetting that the default reply email goes not to the list but to the person who last replied, i wrote the nice (short) reply...after I hit "send" i realized that it went to the person not the list. So I hit back in my browser (and assuming my short message was still there) I hit "send" again, this time with the gimp-user email in the "to" field. Then I found out that the message was just junk with nothing from me added, and I was a little embarased. And I apologize.

you are forgiven and allow me to apologize for humans.

thanks for staying with the list.

carol

christian
2004-11-09 09:14:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

renaming the gimp

Alan Horkan a écrit :

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Kevin Myers wrote:

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:24:18 -0600 From: Kevin Myers
Reply-To: Kevin Myers

Please give my regards to the French, and speaking of Liberty, you might want to recall who liberated France from German occupation, not once, but

It was a joke. I had hoped that in this unusual discussion about trying

it was a really funny one.
Those who don't appreciate it are called "pisse-froid" here in France.

ChC