RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Shawn Willden 05 Oct 06:04
  Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Sven Neumann 05 Oct 13:26
  Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Shawn Willden 05 Oct 16:39
   Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Sven Neumann 05 Oct 17:04
    Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Shawn Willden 05 Oct 18:36
     Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Sven Neumann 05 Oct 19:27
      Poor print quality with GIMP on Linux Shawn Willden 05 Oct 19:39
Shawn Willden
2004-10-05 06:04:07 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I have an HP Photosmart 7260 printer which prints great photos when I print from other Linux applications, particularly KDE apps with kprinter. To get good photos I do have to explicitly set the printing mode in the driver settings, but it works well.

It works well in every application *except* the GIMP, that is. The GIMP appears to do some rescaling and adjustment that makes the output look noticeably blurry. I've configured the GIMP to print through kprinter (with command "kprinter -dPhoto --stdin") so that the kprinter dialog pops up and allows me to set the print mode.

What's really annoying about the GIMP not printing nicely is that it makes printing photos a multi-step process. The image viewers I've tried print okay, but they assume 72dpi, rather than whatever I really want (usually 300dpi, but sometimes more or less, depending).

So, my current process is to load the image in the GIMP, use "scale image" to adjust the dpi setting (usually without actually scaling the image) and then save the image as a postscript file. Then I can load the .ps file up in kghostview or whatever and it prints very nicely.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I have the GIMP's Image/Output Settings set to all the defaults (Image Type: Photograph, Output: Type Color, all the parameters on the Adjust Output dialog to "1.000"). I'm careful to ensure that I don't have to do any scaling from the print dialog, either... "Scaling" is set to 100.0%.

What else... the printing system is CUPS v1.1.21rc1, the driver for the printer is Foomatic v3.0.2 + hpijs v1.6.2 (configured through the KDE printing manager) the system is Debian unstable, with a 2.6.8 kernel and the GIMP is version 2.0.5.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Shawn.

Sven Neumann
2004-10-05 13:26:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Shawn Willden writes:

Any ideas what I can do to fix this? I have the GIMP's Image/Output Settings set to all the defaults (Image Type: Photograph, Output: Type Color, all the parameters on the Adjust Output dialog to "1.000"). I'm careful to ensure that I don't have to do any scaling from the print dialog, either... "Scaling" is set to 100.0%.

If Scaling is set to 100%, then you are actually asking to have the image scaled so that it fits 100% of the printable area. You probably want to hit the "Use Original Image Size" button to get the image printed with the image resolution.

Sven

Shawn Willden
2004-10-05 16:39:54 UTC (over 19 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

On Monday 04 October 2004 10:04 pm, Shawn Willden wrote:

"Scaling" is set to 100.0%.

As Sven pointed out in private e-mail, I misstated here. That's what I get from going from memory. My goal is to avoid scaling (and the quality reduction that may occur), so what I've been doing is using the "Use Original Image Size" button and verifying that the "Scaling" is the right number of PPI (in PPI mode, not Percent mode).

I have been seeing the blurriness without scaling up to the full size of the page, as would happen if Scaling was really at 100%.

Shawn. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.5 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFBYrJE6d8WxFy/CWcRAgbQAJ9dSCT8qibquVtjQ5cxRfQBWZRBxACgkfzE Rn24Gv2L9ONiwTkLW3lBLbM=
=fEUM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Sven Neumann
2004-10-05 17:04:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Shawn Willden writes:

As Sven pointed out in private e-mail, I misstated here. That's what I get from going from memory. My goal is to avoid scaling (and the quality reduction that may occur), so what I've been doing is using the "Use Original Image Size" button and verifying that the "Scaling" is the right number of PPI (in PPI mode, not Percent mode).

I have been seeing the blurriness without scaling up to the full size of the page, as would happen if Scaling was really at 100%.

I have no idea what is causing your problems then. I have been told that the gimp-print drivers would create superb printouts. Perhaps you should ask your question on the gimp-print mailing-list. They should know better. The gimp-print project has it's homepage at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/.

Sven

Shawn Willden
2004-10-05 18:36:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

(I hope you don't mind if I post this back to the list, Sven)

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 09:04 am, you wrote:

I have no idea what is causing your problems then. I have been told that the gimp-print drivers would create superb printouts. Perhaps you should ask your question on the gimp-print mailing-list. They should know better. The gimp-print project has it's homepage at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/.

Well, I didn't post there because I'm not using the gimp-print drivers. The gimp-print drives don't support my printer, so I'm using the hpijs driver from HP. My assumption was that the print dialog and whatever it generates to send to the drivers is on the gimp application side, rather than on the gimp-print side, which I believe is only drivers. Is this not correct?

Thanks,

iD8DBQFBYs2M6d8WxFy/CWcRAuSQAJ9YhWHjDXdzcxUR27q8qwRG/a6fUwCfaHeb nzwUvnjYO6+ITYqwCE/EzmU=
=sa0D

Sven Neumann
2004-10-05 19:27:47 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Shawn Willden writes:

(I hope you don't mind if I post this back to the list, Sven)

I replied to the list (and to you) so the discussion has been on-list all the time...

Well, I didn't post there because I'm not using the gimp-print drivers. The gimp-print drives don't support my printer, so I'm using the hpijs driver from HP. My assumption was that the print dialog and whatever it generates to send to the drivers is on the gimp application side, rather than on the gimp-print side, which I believe is only drivers. Is this not correct?

The plug-in that ships with GIMP has been written by the gimp-print developers and it uses libgimpprint. So you are using the gimp-print drivers. I do not know exactly what the plug-in is doing in case of your setup. The gimp-print folks should know better.

Sven

Shawn Willden
2004-10-05 19:39:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 11:27 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

I replied to the list (and to you) so the discussion has been on-list all the time...

Apparently my filters are putting your replies in my Inbox, rather than in my GIMP folder. I'll have to look into why that is. Anyway, sorry for the confusion.

The plug-in that ships with GIMP has been written by the gimp-print developers and it uses libgimpprint. So you are using the gimp-print drivers. I do not know exactly what the plug-in is doing in case of your setup. The gimp-print folks should know better.

Okay, thanks. I'll take my questions over there.

iD8DBQFBYtxK6d8WxFy/CWcRAursAKCEXfxxTAdBxoQKom/+ZiVk+XvnFACgkzHb xU8/bHScEX8ZVTTzQ7ekVkk=
=fNR5