RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

PS's Elliptical Selection

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

PS's Elliptical Selection Asif Lodhi 03 Oct 16:08
Asif Lodhi
2004-10-03 16:08:00 UTC (over 19 years ago)

PS's Elliptical Selection

Hi All

Just wanted to present a not-so-good result of Photoshop's equivalent (Select/Modify/Contract) of the Gimp's Selection/Shrink. Here is the scenarioa:

When I use the elliptical selection marquee in Gimp to draw a full circle, use blend tool to fill the circle with a black-to-white diagonally-drawn linear gradient, shrink the selection using Select/Shrink by some pixels (say 8 or 10), fill the circle with a white-to-black diagonally-drawn gradient (to create a psuedo-button like appearance), it comes out neat in Gimp.

The same operation using Photoshop 7 and CS8 using Select/Modify/Contract and PS's elliptical selection tool does not yield the desired effect (that Gimp does perfectly well) and results in corners ( or pointed bumps - I'm not so good at English!) on the filled circular selection's circumference. Try it yourself and you'll see.

I do not want to start a PS-VS-Gimp debate - just wanted to give you people a reference to let other people compare Gimp's strengths.

Best regards

Asif