RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GUI Problems - clicking (LB) doesn't work sometimes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2015-01-05 23:45:50 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Hello, I was on Gimp 2.8.14 (I'm on Win7 64bit sp1) and I was running into this bug where I randomly loose the ability to click on various dialogue box interface items. Observed during resize, color change, rotate dialogues to note only a few examples. It's not consistent. I can sometimes click on an element and then I can't. By element I mean radio toggles, buttons including OK/Cancel/Apply etc. When I open the dialogue, I can click on one or two things - it works - and then I can't click on anything else (even the things I just successfully clicked earlier). Even hinting stops. It's not that the app crashes or is frozen. Using the keyboards still works. If I press alt-a, it applies, alt-cancels etc. It's the actual dialogue interface that's not working. This only happens in the dialogue boxes, does not at all happen in main application.

Here is what I did to try to trouble shoot it.

Uninstalled, reinstalled - problem persists. Delete all preference/plugins, uninstalled, reinstalled - problem persists. Installed 2.74 - problem persists
Installed 2.6.9 64bit - ***PROBLEM SOVED****

Anyone getting this issue? I've search google and this forum but couldn't find any references to my problem. Maybe it's because I'm not using the right keywords (click problems / clicking issues are very common keywwords).

Anyways, I really love version 2.8.+ and I'd really like to get back on it. If there is anything I can do to help the devs debugs this, please ask! I can put up a video or upload logs or give you more details.

Thanks!

2015-01-07 20:16:33 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

So, nobody has posted any feedback or thought and the UI of this forum doesn't tell me if anyone's read the post. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues of this sort on Windows?

Also, am I posting in the right forum? Is this forum for both Linux and Windows ports of Gimp or is it Linux only?

I'm going to try to install 2.8.14 on another PC with a very similar setup. If it works well over there, it might be just related to my own setup on this one.

Michael Schumacher
2015-01-07 20:27:18 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 06.01.2015 00:45, thebunnyrules wrote:

Hello, I was on Gimp 2.8.14 (I'm on Win7 64bit sp1) and I was running into this bug where I randomly loose the ability to click on various dialogue box interface items. Observed during resize, color change, rotate dialogues to note only a few examples. It's not consistent. I can sometimes click on an element and then I can't.

Interference of a similar kind is known to be triggered by Kaspersky Antivirus, Camtasia, SnagIt, Camstudio and allegedly TuneUp Utilities.

Doesn't have to be their fault, but some hints from any of them could help to find the real cause (maybe somewhere in GTK+?).

If you run any of these, try to disable them for a while (with caution in the case of Kaspersky, of course) and check if you can reproduce the problem.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
2015-01-07 23:45:21 UTC (over 9 years ago)
postings

Interference of a similar kind is known to be triggered by Kaspersky Antivirus, Camtasia, SnagIt, Camstudio and allegedly TuneUp Utilities.

Doesn't have to be their fault, but some hints from any of them could help to find the real cause (maybe somewhere in GTK+?).

If you run any of these, try to disable them for a while (with caution in the case of Kaspersky, of course) and check if you can reproduce the
problem.

Hi Micheal, thanks for the feedback. I actually don't run any antiviruses at all but it may be something else interfering. I have a few things running in the background but they're mostly application running in the background that have very little interaction with the actual Windows OS or GTK. I might try going to ms-config and try turning everything off to rule out the interference.