RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image portion select and drag.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image portion select and drag. joe.noel 08 Nov 21:49
  Image portion select and drag. Partha Bagchi 09 Nov 00:00
  Image portion select and drag. Richard 12 Nov 00:09
joe.noel
2014-11-08 21:49:13 UTC (over 9 years ago)

When one single image is open, how do I:

1. Select one small portion of the image and drag it? I tried using the select tool and can't make it work.

2. Negative or reverse color polarity. Ie: reverse color profile.  White to black. Black to white for example. 

3. Flip or mirror an image so that I can surround a center image with 2 mirror images of a second graphic on each side?

4. Paste into one image a 2nd imahe and manipulate them. Some programs you have to flatten the images into 1 image and then proceed to select a small portion of the greater image to drag, resize, etc to position next to the other image.

I have attached an image as an example. This was originally several images I had to drag and resize and drop in and alphabetize, reverse color profile on the "equalizer" image portion then mirror image it to use for left and right positioning. I had to resize the crown while it was inside the greater image. I found all of this quite difficult to do with GIMP or not all able to be done per my knowledge of the product. It was very frustrating.  I spent 2 hours trying it with GIMP, but gave up and used another program on a friends laptop on 20 minutes.  I am very excited about gimp and want to learn more.

Joseph L. Noel 515-964-0988: Ph
515-783-4166: Mo
www.linkedin.com/in/joenoel

"Try not to be a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." -Einstein, Albert

Partha Bagchi
2014-11-09 00:00:28 UTC (over 9 years ago)

These are basic Gimp functionality. I suggest the introductory manual or any number of Youtube videos.

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM, joe.noel wrote:

1. Select one small portion of the image and drag it? I tried using the select tool and can't make it work.

2. Negative or reverse color polarity. Ie: reverse color profile. White to black. Black to white for example.

3. Flip or mirror an image so that I can surround a center image with 2 mirror images of a second graphic on each side?

4. Paste into one image a 2nd imahe and manipulate them. Some programs you have to flatten the images into 1 image and then proceed to select a small portion of the greater image to drag, resize, etc to position next to the other image.

I have attached an image as an example. This was originally several images I had to drag and resize and drop in and alphabetize, reverse color profile on the "equalizer" image portion then mirror image it to use for left and right positioning. I had to resize the crown while it was inside the greater image. I found all of this quite difficult to do with GIMP or not all able to be done per my knowledge of the product. It was very frustrating. I spent 2 hours trying it with GIMP, but gave up and used another program on a friends laptop on 20 minutes. I am very excited about gimp and want to learn more.

Joseph L. Noel 515-964-0988: Ph
515-783-4166: Mo
www.linkedin.com/in/joenoel

"Try not to be a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." -Einstein, Albert

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Richard
2014-11-12 00:09:04 UTC (over 9 years ago)

Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 15:49:13 -0600 From: joe.noel@hotmail.com
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: [Gimp-user] Image portion select and drag.

You need to 'float' the selection (e.g. detach it from the source layer) before you attempt to drag it around, otherwise, clicking and dragging will only move the selection 'mask', not the selected contents. To float a selection you use the "Float" command from the Select menu, or I believe the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Alt+drag (the statusbar will change to read "click and drag to move selected pixels" when you get the modifiers right).

2. Negative or reverse color polarity. Ie: reverse color profile. White to black. Black to white for example.

In the Colors (or was it Layer?) menu. There is actually more than one way to reverse 'color polarity', but it depends on what colorspace/model is being used; the standard Invert command uses the default RGB space.

Under Image > Transform. (If you image contains multiple layers, use the Layer > Transform menu instead to adjust a single layer at a time.)

4. Paste into one image a 2nd imahe and manipulate them.

Some programs you have to flatten the images into 1 image and then proceed to select a small portion of the greater image to drag, resize, etc to position next to the other image.

Mind your terminology. Under the Edit menu you can say "Paste As > New Image" but then you wind up with two completely separate image windows with zero interaction between them; you're probably asking about "paste as layer" (also available in the Edit menu). Alternately, when layer positioning is important you can do a regular paste, and while the selection is still floating go to the Layer menu and select "To New Layer" which will unfloat the selection and make it a new layer on top of the old one.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.