RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Export Control Classification Number ECCN

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Export Control Classification Number ECCN IT Export Compliance (P66) 11 Sep 14:04
  Export Control Classification Number ECCN Alexandre Prokoudine 12 Sep 16:44
   Export Control Classification Number ECCN Phil 12 Sep 16:49
    CAFjkzc3pjmG2C--jp=-EJyzSqA... 12 Sep 17:07
     Export Control Classification Number ECCN Alexandre Prokoudine 12 Sep 17:06
      Export Control Classification Number ECCN Steve Kinney 12 Sep 21:00
IT Export Compliance (P66)
2014-09-11 14:04:44 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I am the Export Compliance Analyst for the Phillips 66 Company. I am contacting your company to

request the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) and/or (CCATS) for:

GIMP version 2.8

If you are unable to provide the ECCN or CCATS, could you please provide the following information:

1. Is there any encryption utilized within the software? 2. Is there a log on/authentication process utilized to access the software? 3. Brief description on what the software is used for?

If you are unaware of your ECCN for this product, please forward on to your legal department.

You immediate response is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Shawn Tate | IT Export/Regulatory Compliance Analyst | 918-977-5790 |"Semper Fidelis"

ECCN

ECCNs are five character alpha-numeric designations used on the Commerce Control List (CCL) to identify dual-use items for export control purposes. An ECCN categorizes items based on the nature of the product, i.e. type of commodity, software, or technology and its respective technical parameters. They are used in determining whether an export license is needed from the Department of Commerce.

CCATS

The Commodity Classification Automated Tracking System (CCATS) is an Alpha/Numeric number that begins with the letter G obtained from the Bureau of Industry And Security confirming the ECCN. Some cases, the vendor may not have the CCATS because they self-classified or provided an applicable ECCN for an item.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-09-12 16:44:42 UTC (over 9 years ago)

12 сент. 2014 г. 20:25 пользователь "IT Export Compliance (P66)" < ITExportComplianceP66@p66.com> написал:

I am the Export Compliance Analyst for the Phillips 66 Company. I am

contacting your company

We are not a company, we are a free software project. Our "legal department" is called Free Software Foundation, although personally I'm not sure whether they still remember that.

If you are unable to provide the ECCN or CCATS, could you please provide

the following information:

1. Is there any encryption utilized within the software?

No.

2. Is there a log on/authentication process utilized to access the

software?

No.

3. Brief description on what the software is used for?

GIMP is image editing software.

Alex

Phil
2014-09-12 16:49:38 UTC (over 9 years ago)

I was going to ask how do you export something that is

1. free 2. available to my knowledge anywhere in the world for free 3. has lots of commercial value, but is free

Phil

On 12/09/2014 17:44, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

12 сент. 2014 г. 20:25 пользователь "IT Export Compliance (P66)" < ITExportComplianceP66@p66.com> написал:

I am the Export Compliance Analyst for the Phillips 66 Company. I am

contacting your company

We are not a company, we are a free software project. Our "legal department" is called Free Software Foundation, although personally I'm not sure whether they still remember that.

If you are unable to provide the ECCN or CCATS, could you please provide

the following information:

1. Is there any encryption utilized within the software?

No.

2. Is there a log on/authentication process utilized to access the

software?

No.

3. Brief description on what the software is used for?

GIMP is image editing software.

Alex _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Alexandre Prokoudine
2014-09-12 17:06:57 UTC (over 9 years ago)

12 сент. 2014 г. 20:49 пользователь "Phil" написал:

1. free 2. available to my knowledge anywhere in the world for free 3. has lots of commercial value, but is free

You cannot export that. You can, however, _not export_ :)

https://fossbazaar.org/content/just-facts-exporting-encryption-algorithms/

Alex

Steve Kinney
2014-09-12 21:00:58 UTC (over 9 years ago)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

On 09/12/2014 01:06 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

12 сент. 2014 г. 20:49 пользователь "Phil" написал:

You cannot export that. You can, however, _not export_ :)

https://fossbazaar.org/content/just-facts-exporting-encryption-algorithms/

The

request for info looks legit to me: Not actually an export control issue, but a compliance issue within some corporate or government activity that is subject to software audits that include export control compliance where/as applicable.

I think the answers provided already should be sufficient. If not I am sure the original poster will request some specific language.

:o)

Steve

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.14 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJUE18JAAoJEDZ0Gg87KR0LwfUQAJkvPhZ4Wxl4EOsQAqQSNvqz wE0TKhYny56Jt5Pe8MwDkZFbqmEgB9wetHelqiwEDxqBYwoBYw/yCcAUJLotOBeQ r49OhU6j6JocUYF55Ur2QwIzXq1TsdOu9noEGuBfGQqfIMO3jCTLY/TmFozf62ut 0xXpxD4xpCqWHljgRgmrFWUjwc6z27G/y4zY2m6XEOyTm6hLm1Z9YkYKb6WPsMbP hiu9m7CzkJ9+Z+StyhNYIK5U3ImU0NkCsAX/OwoFw9iHH4AapcpQjqHexxzTHMDY Gn+kOamt3weLIY1H8YYzHqqcrRni9+CJuSWoNshUaglbycvma5pcUZdRGyA1SaGm 3O2PmismcDPZrCjfE7XoaCNg0f93Lgg0zD4X64g6RpXXErpvvT2pOWIdGCjrvD5q ESXufjUrEmYKt8uPYodjE370j5h0C+iJuXheCtH9BL1WkDtxjrqLgH80WvjgfWVw 5sm/jo8JSKrSs3M6x62vd85I4c7BqR0xaNFmpUuRhf+R7ApeoXrfXi10V050X7mG S3QlFu82kJ2y8/eC2OcMO4awK2+Ta9Lo9RmyAPa9LFjYAxpJRlSu44v9qPkrE2/3 IZh6c2ROtUmigbIKsLe1fRDAZR6ZcVHdTdCBvMVJyvhOddaAUQd4xES9AlNys9Th JF3YrPf0CuiV+8ySazMX
=zPro
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----