RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Optimize jpegs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Optimize jpegs weswood 22 May 00:20
  Optimize jpegs Owen 22 May 00:30
   Optimize jpegs Søren Pilgård 22 May 13:08
    Optimize jpegs Gary Aitken 22 May 14:18
     Optimize jpegs weswood 22 May 15:01
      Optimize jpegs Liam R E Quin 23 May 21:20
  Optimize jpegs Jernej Simončič 23 May 10:43
2014-05-22 00:20:31 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Optimize jpegs

I'm creating some textures for 3d models using gimp. I've been exporting as jpg with quality set at 100, but the file sizes are humongous. What do you think is the best setting to bring down the file size with no noticeable loss of quality?

Owen
2014-05-22 00:30:59 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Optimize jpegs

I'm creating some textures for 3d models using gimp. I've been exporting as jpg
with quality set at 100, but the file sizes are humongous. What do you think is
the best setting to bring down the file size with no noticeable loss of quality?

Well, I would simply experiment and decide what is "best for you"

Open original, export as new-name1.jpg at say 70% Then reopen original, and export as new-name2.jpg at say 60% and so on

Most of my saves are at 50%

Why jpgs? What sizes do you get with pngs?

Owen
Søren Pilgård
2014-05-22 13:08:50 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Optimize jpegs

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Owen wrote:

the best setting to bring down the file size with no noticeable loss of quality?

Open original, export as new-name1.jpg at say 70% Then reopen original, and export as new-name2.jpg at say 60% and so on

It is indeed hard to give a perfect number out of the box. The overall visual quality is very much dependent on what the image actually depicts and on what kind of compromise you can tolerate. A dirt texture can probably pull off a much lower quality than a smooth gradient.

Gary Aitken
2014-05-22 14:18:07 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Optimize jpegs

On 05/22/14 07:08, Sren Pilgrd wrote:

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Owen wrote:

It is indeed hard to give a perfect number out of the box. The overall visual quality is very much dependent on what the image actually depicts and on what kind of compromise you can tolerate. A dirt texture can probably pull off a much lower quality than a smooth gradient.

First, make sure the image is down-sized to something like 1280 x 1024 or less. Then turn on the preview in the jpeg export dialog. That will tell you both how large the file will be, and you can view the preview to see what it will look like. Decrease or increase the percentage until you're happy with the compromise.

Gary

2014-05-22 15:01:27 UTC (almost 10 years ago)
postings

Optimize jpegs

First, make sure the image is down-sized to something like 1280 x 1024 or
less. Then turn on the preview in the jpeg export dialog. That will tell
you both how large the file will be, and you can view the preview to see
what it will look like. Decrease or increase the percentage until you're
happy with the compromise.

Gary

Thanks, I'll try all these suggestions. This one was very helpful, at least I'll see what I'm getting.

Jernej Simončič
2014-05-23 10:43:24 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Optimize jpegs

On Thu, 22 May 2014 02:20:31 +0200, weswood wrote:

What do you think is

95 is the maximum you should use - there's no perceptual difference between 95 and 100, but the size increase is huge.

Anyway, with most images you can go even lower - when exporting a JPEG, tick the Preview checkbox, and play with the settings. You should always enable both Progressive and Optimize, as those losslessly reduce the file size, and switch the DCT mode to Floating point (slightly improves quality, and usually reduces the file size). Try also different subsampling options - depending on image content, you can get quite a size reduction while having very little visual difference.

< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >
Liam R E Quin
2014-05-23 21:20:06 UTC (almost 10 years ago)

Optimize jpegs

On Thu, 2014-05-22 at 17:01 +0200, weswood wrote:

First, make sure the image is down-sized to something like 1280 x 1024 or >less. Then turn on the preview in the jpeg export dialog.

[...]

After saving, you can run jpegoptim - in some cases this will get significant file size savings with no loss in image quality.

Check the image still opens afterwards, though - I've had occasional problems.

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml