RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Why so COMPLICATED?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

63 of 63 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 16 Dec 19:34
  Why so COMPLICATED? Steve Kinney 16 Dec 22:36
   Why so COMPLICATED? Pete Wright 19 Dec 14:05
   Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 19 Dec 18:58
    Why so COMPLICATED? Steve Kinney 20 Dec 00:34
     Why so COMPLICATED? Alexandre Prokoudine 20 Dec 00:40
      Why so COMPLICATED? Steve Kinney 20 Dec 00:51
       Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Dec 03:43
        Why so COMPLICATED? Steve Kinney 20 Dec 08:23
         Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 20 Dec 11:14
          Why so COMPLICATED? Steve Kinney 20 Dec 14:54
        Script for feathering edges SirCrow 21 Dec 21:00
         Script for feathering edges Burnie West 21 Dec 22:04
          Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 21 Dec 22:28
           Why so COMPLICATED? Burnie West 21 Dec 22:38
            Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 22 Dec 04:03
         Script for feathering edges Joao S. O. Bueno 26 Dec 22:26
          Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in SirCrow 08 Jan 16:35
           Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in Kevin Cozens 08 Jan 17:10
            Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP SirCrow 08 Jan 23:55
             Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Partha Bagchi 08 Jan 23:58
              Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP SirCrow 14 Jan 13:24
               Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Partha Bagchi 14 Jan 23:26
                Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 15 Jan 03:42
                 Why so COMPLICATED? Partha Bagchi 15 Jan 10:41
                  Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP SirCrow 16 Jan 17:09
                   Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Kevin Payne 16 Jan 17:43
                    Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in SirCrow 17 Jan 05:26
                     Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in Kevin Payne 17 Jan 09:40
                     Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in Joao S. O. Bueno 17 Jan 12:21
                      Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in Ofnuts 18 Jan 11:13
                       Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in Michael Schumacher 18 Jan 11:15
                       Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in Partha Bagchi 18 Jan 12:07
                      Can't Find "feather_paste.py" Script File SirCrow 18 Jan 19:28
                       Can't Find "feather_paste.py" Script File Michael Schumacher 18 Jan 20:03
                        Can't Find "feather_paste.py" Script File Partha Bagchi 18 Jan 21:14
                         Can't Find "feather_paste.py" Script File Patrick Shanahan 18 Jan 21:29
                         Can't Find "feather_paste.py" Script File Michael Schumacher 18 Jan 21:42
                         Blah-blah-blah... SirCrow 18 Jan 22:25
                          Blah-blah-blah... Michael Schumacher 19 Jan 12:42
                Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Joao S. O. Bueno 15 Jan 18:52
                 Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Partha Bagchi 15 Jan 22:42
                  Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Ofnuts 16 Jan 09:59
             Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Kevin Cozens 09 Jan 02:35
              Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP Jerry Baker 09 Jan 13:39
     Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 20 Dec 08:03
      Why so COMPLICATED? Steve Kinney 20 Dec 08:26
       FotoTouch; WINE SirCrow 21 Dec 20:38
        FotoTouch; WINE Kevin Cozens 22 Dec 18:43
         Running older apps under Vista SirCrow 24 Dec 21:07
       FotoTouch app SirCrow 14 Jan 13:45
        FotoTouch app Liam R E Quin 14 Jan 16:57
  Why so COMPLICATED? SirCrow 19 Dec 20:28
  Why so COMPLICATED? Sam Gleske 27 Dec 18:22
   Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 28 Dec 00:41
    Why so COMPLICATED? Ofnuts 28 Dec 11:37
     Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 28 Dec 17:03
     Why so COMPLICATED? Richard 28 Dec 18:15
      Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 29 Dec 19:09
       Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 29 Dec 19:13
        Why so COMPLICATED? Richard 30 Dec 17:25
         Why so COMPLICATED? Joao S. O. Bueno 30 Dec 19:47
          Why so COMPLICATED? Richard 30 Dec 23:51
2013-12-16 19:34:13 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

Hello. I've tried using GIMP many times, yet I've accomplished very little, given all of GIMP's functionality. For example:

If I want to select part of an image and copy it to another area or to a new image/layer, and also FEATHER the edges, here's how I'd do it in an old graphics app I often used years ago:

1. Select the area. 2. Hold Ctrl while moving selection with Move tool. 3. Use the slider to soften the edges to my liking. 4. Press Enter to anchor selection. Done.

And there were sliders also for opacity and other things. So very SIMPLE because the prog. was designed very intuitively. How would I accomplish the same in GIMP? Well, most of the time, I WOULD ACCOMPLISH NOTHING! At best, I'd enter values into the box, not like the result, enter new values, repeat. And that's on a good day.

PLEASE, I beg you, somebody write a SCRIPT/PLUGIN that allows the use of sliders exactly as described above! I desperately want to be a HAPPY GIMP user, but I'm growing ever more hopeless. I don't want to turn on my older PC just to use a graphics app that actually lets me get things done. Thank you.

Joe

Steve Kinney
2013-12-16 22:36:09 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/16/2013 02:34 PM, SirCrow wrote:

Hello. I've tried using GIMP many times, yet I've accomplished very little, given all of GIMP's functionality. For example:

If I want to select part of an image and copy it to another area or to a new image/layer, and also FEATHER the edges, here's how I'd do it in an old graphics app I often used years ago:

1. Select the area. 2. Hold Ctrl while moving selection with Move tool. 3. Use the slider to soften the edges to my liking. 4. Press Enter to anchor selection. Done.

Hey SirCrow,

I bet it would help if you were to name the old program you liked so much. That would provide a point of reference for the editing workflow that you're talking about.

It's even possible that something like what you are describing is possible in the GIMP. If enough people like the idea of "sliders for everything" even that might eventually happen.

:o)

Steve

And there were sliders also for opacity and other things. So very SIMPLE because the prog. was designed very intuitively. How would I accomplish the same in GIMP? Well, most of the time, I WOULD ACCOMPLISH NOTHING! At best, I'd enter values into the box, not like the result, enter new values, repeat. And that's on a good day.

PLEASE, I beg you, somebody write a SCRIPT/PLUGIN that allows the use of sliders exactly as described above! I desperately want to be a HAPPY GIMP user, but I'm growing ever more hopeless. I don't want to turn on my older PC just to use a graphics app that actually lets me get things done. Thank you.

Joe

Pete Wright
2013-12-19 14:05:41 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

PaintShopPro is the one remaining program that makes me consider running MS Windows at all, anymore.
I like and use GIMP but not everything is as slickly automated as in PSP. That said, GIMP is superior in many respects, so de gustibus... I use both. If only Corel would put out a Linux version my last MS shackle would fall away.
grins

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

On 12/16/2013 02:34 PM, SirCrow wrote:

Hello. I've tried using GIMP many times, yet I've accomplished very

little,

given all of GIMP's functionality. For example:

If I want to select part of an image and copy it to another area or to a

new

image/layer, and also FEATHER the edges, here's how I'd do it in an old

graphics

app I often used years ago:

Hey SirCrow,

I bet it would help if you were to name the old program you liked so much. That would provide a point of reference for the editing workflow that you're talking about.

It's even possible that something like what you are describing is possible in the GIMP. If enough people like the idea of "sliders for everything" even that might eventually happen.

Steve

And there were sliders also for opacity and other things. So very SIMPLE because the prog. was designed very intuitively. How would I accomplish

the

same in GIMP? Well, most of the time, I WOULD ACCOMPLISH NOTHING! At

best, I'd

enter values into the box, not like the result, enter new values,

repeat. And

that's on a good day.

PLEASE, I beg you, somebody write a SCRIPT/PLUGIN that allows the use of

sliders

exactly as described above! I desperately want to be a HAPPY GIMP user,

but I'm

growing ever more hopeless. I don't want to turn on my older PC just to

use a

graphics app that actually lets me get things done. Thank you.

Joe

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

2013-12-19 18:58:14 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

Hey SirCrow,

Steve

Hi, Steve. Thanks for replying.

Logitech's FotoTouch Color is the old app that I loved, despite its limitations. Didn't mention it this time because none of my previous mentions of it ever evoked the slightest recognition from respondents. I believe I'm the only one on this planet who wishes GIMP had been based on FotoTouch rather than PhotoShop. Apparently, nobody wants simple tasks to be.... well, SIMPLE. I can't stress (there's a relevant word!) strongly enough how annoying and frustrating it is when GIMP won't let me do a simple thing that clearly should be possible without dealing with menus, layers, etc. And I'm still using Windows Vista, which similarly infuriates me at times.

There, I've mentioned FotoTouch by name yet again and, as before, nothing will come of it. Unless someone out there, as you seem to suggest, has or acquires a copy of FotoTouch and learns its layout and functionality and actually writes a lovely little script. It won't be in time for Christmas, but (hint) my birthday's in February! No hurry, really; I'd just be happy to have it. Or how about this: a plugin for Irfanview that allows more flexible selections, as well as feathering of edges. I use Irfanview more often than the GIMP.

Thanks for reading and caring at all. :o) (That's the same smiley I usually use.)

Joe/SirCrow

2013-12-19 20:28:52 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

As another example of something that was simple and fun in FotoTouch, here's how I'd make laserfire for my Star Wars ships or AT-ATs:

1. Select a narrow area where I want a single green laser bolt to appear. 2. Use sliders to lighten the area and color it yellow or yellow-green. 3. Feather the edges with the handy slider. to lock it in. 4. Select the larger area around the laser-to-be. 5. Repeat steps 2 & 3 to create the "aura" around the main laser light. The results, if I take the time to do it right, can be spectacular. I hope you can use the inserted link:

http://youtu.be/pfgtXmvIcUI

Actually, I don't remember the exact procedure, but the above is fairly accurate. I may need to repeat all the steps for each laser bolt, but it was easy enough. Not sure, but maybe a selection can be set aside in its own window for later use. Here's where layers can be convenient, I suppose.

In the GIMP, I was barely able to create some decent lasers once. Once. If it were easy or fun, I'd have done it many times by now. Even without the benefit of layers or "floating" objects saved to disk, I think I would still prefer using FotoTouch to make my Star Wars things fire those cool lasers.

Joe

Steve Kinney
2013-12-20 00:34:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/19/2013 01:58 PM, SirCrow wrote:

Hey SirCrow,

Steve

Hi, Steve. Thanks for replying.

I have been very quiet on-list for a while, but that's what gimp-user and similar lists and forums are for: They are the GIMP's tech support system. That's part of the way Free Software works. I ain't no developer but as a way long time GIMP user I do take a more than casual interest in the project.

Logitech's FotoTouch Color is the old app that I loved, despite its limitations. Didn't mention it this time because none of my previous mentions of it ever evoked the slightest recognition from respondents. I believe I'm the only one on this planet who wishes GIMP had been based on FotoTouch rather than PhotoShop.

Comparisons are inevitable, but the GIMP is not 'based on' Photoshop or in competition with it - except in the sense that it does give people who work on photos and other "pixel map files" a real choice of programs, based on personal preference and practical requirements. Originally the "General Image Manipulation Program," the GIMP was created as an educational project and its early versions were quite primitive compared to what it has grown into. The GIMP is very much "a thing unto itself" following its own evolutionary path.

Apparently, nobody wants simple tasks to be.... well, SIMPLE. I can't stress (there's a relevant word!) strongly enough how annoying and frustrating it is when GIMP won't let me do a simple thing that clearly should be possible without dealing with menus, layers, etc. And I'm still using Windows Vista, which similarly infuriates me at times.

There are two different version of "simple" that apply here: There's simple as in, obvious and easy to figure out. The GIMP ain't that, and probably never will be; its target audience is professionals and serious hobbyists who are happy to deal with some additional complexity in exchange for the power to do complicated things to pictures.

But the GIMP simple as in, made of relatively simple parts that enable the user to do a wide range of tasks, including ones that the developers did not even anticipate. The GIMP is all about that kind of simplicity: A big box of simple tools, that can be combined to accomplish a wide range of tasks as required. This design approach is inherited from the UNIX philosophy:

"Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work together."

http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch01s06.html

The large number of components that are checked and indexed every time the GIMP starts are programs like that. Most of these programs are under direct user control via the GIMP user interface. Thanks to the UNIX design paradigm, these small programs can also be combined in clusters for complex functions via scripts, i.e. Script Fu, Python Fu, and packages like G'MIC.

There, I've mentioned FotoTouch by name yet again and, as before, nothing will come of it. Unless someone out there, as you seem to suggest, has or acquires a copy of FotoTouch and learns its layout and functionality and actually writes a lovely little script. It won't be in time for Christmas, but (hint) my birthday's in February! No hurry, really; I'd just be happy to have it. Or how about this: a plugin for Irfanview that allows more flexible selections, as well as feathering of edges. I use Irfanview more often than the GIMP.

It looks like FotoTouch was a stand alone executable for Windows 3.1 and compatible systems. I could not find a copy, else I would have fired it up under WINE to see what it does. Alas, another "free as in beer" program, derelict and unmaintainable, sinks beneath the waves...

Back when I had to use Microsoft operating systems Irfanview was one of my favorite things; IMO the GIMP without Irfanview on a Windows platform is an incomplete kit. In addition to being an image viewer and simple image library maintenance tool, Irfanview's basic editing functions are sufficient for most casual uses. But when a person starts to hit the limits of what Irfanview can do to pictures, the next step - moving to a professional strength image editor - is a big one.

The GIMP seems to have recently turned a big corner in terms of both user uptake and the availability of user created tutorials and such. YouTube is fairly bursting with walk-throughs for both common and fancy tasks, and in comparision to the best tutorials on websites, my own "introduction to the GIMP" page is starting to look like an antique. (I still think it's useful though: http://pilobilus.net/gimp_tutorial.html )

I believe that somebody who went to the trouble of finding the gimp-user list and describing his problems in sensible language will not find learning to navigate the complexities of the GIMP nearly as difficult as it seems initially.

Thanks for reading and caring at all. :o) (That's the same smiley I usually use.)

Clown nose, honk honk!

Steve

Alexandre Prokoudine
2013-12-20 00:40:51 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 4:34 AM, Steve Kinney wrote:

There are two different version of "simple" that apply here: There's simple as in, obvious and easy to figure out. The GIMP ain't that, and probably never will be; its target audience is professionals and serious hobbyists who are happy to deal with some additional complexity in exchange for the power to do complicated things to pictures.

Let's be honest, Steve, a visual hint at the width of the feathered area would totally rock :) And an on-canvas handle to control it would be even more awesome.

Alexandre

Steve Kinney
2013-12-20 00:51:21 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/19/2013 07:40 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

Let's be honest, Steve, a visual hint at the width of the feathered area would totally rock :) And an on-canvas handle to control it would be even more awesome.

I can't argue with that!

Steve

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-20 03:43:43 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

As soon as we have PDB bindings for the new GEGL plug-ins, with the "run_mode" parameter like qwe have in the classic ones, it will be possible to build simple plug-ins for stuff like this.

I've tried to get as far as possible with the current gimp (2.9, should also work for 2.8):
I foundout GIMP indeed require a lot of operations in order to paste a feathered-out portion of an image:

Paste Promote floating selection to layer
expand layer to image size
add a layer mask (with a copy from the layer alpha channel) apply gaussian blur on the mask
apply levels on the mask (*)
merge pasted-layer down

(*) And that even if the Gauss output could be displayed live on the image, you would not get the final result while tweaking it, as one needs to perform a levels operation on the intermediate mask, so that the transparency level is 0 (full trasnparency) at the edge of the pasted layer, else, the feathering the temporary mask is useless.

Anyway, the resulting script makes this particular operation one order of magnitude simpler than doing it by hand - (you can move the pasted layer around when the gaussian-blur window pops up)
check it out from:
https://github.com/jsbueno/gimp-plugins/blob/master/feather_paste.py

Still - just having interactive calls to the new GEGL ops would allow for something like you want. For this particular case, we need to re-think the plug-ins so that a "composite gegl operation" is created by the plug-in itself.

js -> wrote:

On 12/19/2013 07:40 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

I can't argue with that!

Steve

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

2013-12-20 08:03:54 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

It looks like FotoTouch was a stand alone executable for Windows 3.1 and compatible systems. I could not find a copy, else I would have fired it up under WINE to see what it does. Alas, another "free as in beer" program, derelict and unmaintainable, sinks beneath the waves...

Wow, a whole lot to digest. I'll reread it all later. Thanks a bunch. Good to see so many responses. I may not be so alone after all.

If there really is nowhere to download FotoTouch these days, I suppose I could try emailing you a copy of it from my old PC, if you're really curious.

J

Steve Kinney
2013-12-20 08:23:52 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/19/2013 10:43 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Paste
Promote floating selection to layer
add a layer mask (with a copy from the layer alpha channel) apply gaussian blur on the mask
merge pasted-layer down

That sounds like something Script Fu could do in Scheme, not that I would know how to make it do that...

Steve

Steve Kinney
2013-12-20 08:26:58 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/20/2013 03:03 AM, SirCrow wrote:

Wow, a whole lot to digest. I'll reread it all later. Thanks a bunch. Good to see so many responses. I may not be so alone after all.

If there really is nowhere to download FotoTouch these days, I suppose I could try emailing you a copy of it from my old PC, if you're really curious.

Sure, I'll play with that. It will probably run under WINE. Sending me a copy is probably a copyright violation but I won't tell if you don't, and I seriously doubt that its nominal owner would care at all, as long as it's not distributed to the whole great unwashed public.

Steve

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-20 11:14:20 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 20 December 2013 06:23, Steve Kinney wrote:

Paste
merge pasted-layer down

That sounds like something Script Fu could do in Scheme, not that I would know how to make it do that...

Yes - I did just that using "python-fu" -please, check the link at the end of that message..

Steve

Steve Kinney
2013-12-20 14:54:09 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/20/2013 06:14 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On 20 December 2013 06:23, Steve Kinney wrote:

Paste
merge pasted-layer down

Yes - I did just that using "python-fu" -please, check the link at the end of that message..

That'll learn me to read. Someday.

:o))

Steve

2013-12-21 20:38:22 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

FotoTouch; WINE

Sure, I'll play with that. It will probably run under WINE. Sending me a copy is probably a copyright violation but I won't tell if you don't, and I seriously doubt that its nominal owner would care at all, as long as it's not distributed to the whole great unwashed public.

Steve

Indeed, the copyright owner should not mind, considering how long the software hasn't been sold. I wouldn't know where to send it, though. I assume that WINE is the equivalent of DOS Box -- or whatever it's called -- which I once installed and never actually used to run the old programs like FotoTouch. That'd be cool, to be able to use it on the "new" computer whilst I'm learnin' my way 'round that GIMP feller......I reckon. :-)
Joe

2013-12-21 21:00:56 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Script for feathering edges

(*) And that even if the Gauss output could be displayed live on the image,
you would not get the final result while tweaking it, as one needs to perform a levels operation on the intermediate mask, so that the transparency level is 0 (full trasnparency) at the edge of the pasted layer, else, the feathering the temporary mask is useless.

Full transparency at the edge -- yes, very important! I've noticed in some cases that even the very edge, as faded as it is, is still a 'hard' edge. That definitely won't do.

(you can move the pasted layer around when the gaussian-blur window pops up)
check it out from:

I'm very interested, but I can't figure out what to do with the contents of file feather_paste.py. I can't find any .py files in any GIMP subfolder. I've googled, to no avail. Thanks.

J

By the way, is there a way to not have to type in the 'challenge' every time I want to post in this forum? Can't always read those darned little things. Also, can I not edit a post after I've made it? If you happen to know. Thanks.

Burnie West
2013-12-21 22:04:04 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 12/21/2013 01:00 PM, SirCrow wrote:

By the way, is there a way to not have to type in the 'challenge' every time I want to post in this forum? Can't always read those darned little things. Also, can I not edit a post after I've made it? If you happen to know. Thanks.

Easiest way is to register on the gimp-users list itself, and not use the LadyYepperz dingbat.

2013-12-21 22:28:52 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

Easiest way is to register on the gimp-users list itself, and not use the
LadyYepperz dingbat.

Hmm....didn't realize I'd done that. Thanks. Dingbat -- what the heck is that? Edith Bunker comes to mind. ;-)

Burnie West
2013-12-21 22:38:34 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/21/2013 02:28 PM, SirCrow wrote:

Hmm....didn't realize I'd done that. Thanks. Dingbat -- what the heck is that? Edith Bunker comes to mind.

Printer's term: a small meaningless character (hence Edith Bunker in Archie's mind). Typically used to separate two phrases. But I guess we're off topic here.

-- Burnie

2013-12-22 04:03:23 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

Printer's term: a small meaningless character (hence Edith Bunker in Archie's mind).
Typically used to separate two phrases. But I guess we're off topic here.

-- Burnie

Oh, okay. Off topic, yes, but Jean Stapleton was so excellent in that role!!

J

Kevin Cozens
2013-12-22 18:43:42 UTC (over 10 years ago)

FotoTouch; WINE

On 13-12-21 03:38 PM, SirCrow wrote:

I assume that WINE is the equivalent of DOS Box -- or whatever it's called

dosemu is used to run DOS based programs. WINE is used to run (some) programs that are normally run in Windows.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why we're
                                 | powerful!"
#include  |             --Chris Hardwick
2013-12-24 21:07:05 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Running older apps under Vista

dosemu is used to run DOS based programs. WINE is used to run (some) programs that are normally run in Windows.

Okay. If there's something that would let me run FotoTouch on my Vista system without too much of a headache, I hope I'll find it and have the patience to get it working. Meanwhile, I'll try to become more confident using GIMP.

Joe

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-26 22:26:48 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 21 December 2013 19:00, SirCrow wrote:

(*) And that even if the Gauss output could be displayed live on the image,
you would not get the final result while tweaking it, as one needs to perform a levels operation on the intermediate mask, so that the transparency level is 0 (full trasnparency) at the edge of the pasted layer, else, the feathering the temporary mask is useless.

Full transparency at the edge -- yes, very important! I've noticed in some cases that even the very edge, as faded as it is, is still a 'hard' edge. That definitely won't do.

(you can move the pasted layer around when the gaussian-blur window pops up)
check it out from:

I'm very interested, but I can't figure out what to do with the contents of file feather_paste.py. I can't find any .py files in any GIMP subfolder. I've googled, to no avail. Thanks.

Oh - sorry - I just saw this e-mail now. Put th e;py file in a GIMP plug-ins folder (on Linux it is /home//.gimp-2.8/plug-ins), for example, Check a suitable folder in edit->preferences->folders->plug-ins

On Linux after putting the file on such a folder, you have to make it executable (chmod a+x, or right_click and preferences, mark as executable with a graphical file manager). GIMP needs to be restarted to find the plug-in.

J

-- SirCrow (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Sam Gleske
2013-12-27 18:22:34 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

Original message below. I see a good feature recommendation here. Sliders for fuzzy selection in the select Tool Options dialogs. I think it would be useful.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM, SirCrow wrote:

Hello. I've tried using GIMP many times, yet I've accomplished very little,

If I want to select part of an image and copy it to another area or to a new
image/layer, and also FEATHER the edges, here's how I'd do it in an old graphics

And there were sliders also for opacity and other things. So very SIMPLE because the prog. was designed very intuitively. How would I accomplish the
same in GIMP? Well, most of the time, I WOULD ACCOMPLISH NOTHING! At best, I'd
enter values into the box, not like the result, enter new values, repeat. And
that's on a good day.

PLEASE, I beg you, somebody write a SCRIPT/PLUGIN that allows the use of sliders
exactly as described above! I desperately want to be a HAPPY GIMP user, but I'm
growing ever more hopeless. I don't want to turn on my older PC just to use a

Joe

-- SirCrow (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-28 00:41:55 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 27 December 2013 16:22, Sam Gleske wrote:

Original message below. I see a good feature recommendation here. Sliders for fuzzy selection in the select Tool Options dialogs. I think it would be useful.

Well, that is there since...forever! The task at hand here is somewaht different - giving control to fuzzy out the contents on paste - that makes the difference, for two things:
1) you can see the "final result" as you play along with the silder 2) you make the pasted content fuzzy so that it has 100% transparency on its border. With fuzzy selections, you get 50% transparency on the border, before cutting. After pasting, one has to go through all the steps listed above, and they are quite a few.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM, SirCrow wrote:

Hello. I've tried using GIMP many times, yet I've accomplished very little,

If I want to select part of an image and copy it to another area or to a new
image/layer, and also FEATHER the edges, here's how I'd do it in an old graphics

And there were sliders also for opacity and other things. So very SIMPLE because the prog. was designed very intuitively. How would I accomplish the
same in GIMP? Well, most of the time, I WOULD ACCOMPLISH NOTHING! At best, I'd
enter values into the box, not like the result, enter new values, repeat. And
that's on a good day.

PLEASE, I beg you, somebody write a SCRIPT/PLUGIN that allows the use of sliders
exactly as described above! I desperately want to be a HAPPY GIMP user, but I'm
growing ever more hopeless. I don't want to turn on my older PC just to use a

Joe

Ofnuts
2013-12-28 11:37:37 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 12/28/2013 01:41 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Well, that is there since...forever! The task at hand here is somewaht different - giving control to fuzzy out the contents on paste - that makes the difference, for two things:
1) you can see the "final result" as you play along with the silder 2) you make the pasted content fuzzy so that it has 100% transparency on its border. With fuzzy selections, you get 50% transparency on the border, before cutting. After pasting, one has to go through all the steps listed above, and they are quite a few.

This question has been asked elsewhere. A solution is to paste the full object to a new layer, add a layer mask, fill the shape with a shaped gradient (which is a function of the distance to the outline) and then use the Brightess/Contrast (2 sliders), Levels (5 sliders), or Curves (256 sliders) to adjust the blend.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-28 17:03:07 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 28 December 2013 09:37, Ofnuts wrote:

On 12/28/2013 01:41 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Original message below. I see a good feature recommendation here. Sliders
for fuzzy selection in the select Tool Options dialogs. I think it would be useful.

This question has been asked elsewhere. A solution is to paste the full object to a new layer, add a layer mask, fill the shape with a shaped gradient (which is a function of the distance to the outline) and then use the Brightess/Contrast (2 sliders), Levels (5 sliders), or Curves (256 sliders) to adjust the blend.

The fact that there is a multi-step way for doing this does not mean there should not be a single step to perform it. (BTW, if you check the e-mails on this thread, you will see that I know it is feasible and had scripted the steps in an automated way)

Richard
2013-12-28 18:15:02 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:37:37 +0100 From: ofnuts@laposte.net
To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED?

On a tangent, you just pointed out the biggest flaw with shaped gradients: You can't specify a gradient length. What's the point of even having it without that functionality? I'd get faster (more precise, controllable, etc.) results by brushing the edges by hand.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-29 19:09:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On 28 December 2013 16:15, Richard wrote:

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 12:37:37 +0100 From: ofnuts@laposte.net
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED?

On a tangent, you just pointed out the biggest flaw with shaped gradients: You can't specify a gradient length. What's the point of even having it without that functionality? I'd get faster (more precise, controllable, etc.) results by brushing the edges by hand.

--------------------

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-29 19:13:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

Sorry - clciekd on "send" by mistake on the previous message.

On 29 December 2013 17:09, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

Note that on the script, I could walk around this by performing gaussian-blur + levels
on the pasted layer's mask, instead of using gradients. But indeed,you have a point there. I even went to check if the "offset" parameter of the gradient-tool could give one the control missing for shaped gradients, but it has no effect at all.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------

Richard
2013-12-30 17:25:13 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

> On a tangent, you just pointed out the biggest flaw with shaped gradients: You can't specify a gradient length. What's the point of even having it without that functionality? I'd get faster (more precise, controllable, etc.) results by brushing the edges by hand.

Note that on the script, I could walk around this by performing gaussian-blur + levels
on the pasted layer's mask, instead of using gradients. But indeed,you have a point there. I even went to check if the "offset" parameter of the gradient-tool could give one the control missing for shaped gradients, but it has no effect at all.

The worst part is that you HAVE to click AND drag to execute the gradient - simply clicking and releasing won't engage it. So GIMP already has a specified gradient length available but is simply ignoring it.

--------------------

Joao S. O. Bueno
2013-12-30 19:47:26 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

On the other hand, this is clearly a buggy behavior - we should just open a bug report for that, (and hope it is an easy fix)

On 30 December 2013 15:25, Richard wrote:

On 28 December 2013 16:15, Richard wrote: On a tangent, you just pointed out the biggest flaw with shaped gradients: You can't specify a gradient length. What's the point of even having it without that functionality? I'd get faster (more precise, controllable, etc.) results by brushing the edges by hand.

The worst part is that you HAVE to click AND drag to execute the gradient - simply clicking and releasing won't engage it. So GIMP already has a specified gradient length available but is simply ignoring it.

--------------------

Richard
2013-12-30 23:51:25 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:47:26 -0200 Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Why so COMPLICATED? From: gwidion@mpc.com.br
To: strata_ranger@hotmail.com
CC: ofnuts@laposte.net; gimp-user-list@gnome.org

On the other hand, this is clearly a buggy behavior - we should just open a bug report for that, (and hope it is an easy fix)

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=505755

circa 2007.

--------------------

2014-01-08 16:35:53 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in

Oh - sorry - I just saw this e-mail now. Put th e;py file in a GIMP plug-ins folder (on Linux it is /home//.gimp-2.8/plug-ins), for example, Check a suitable folder in edit->preferences->folders->plug-ins

Joao, I think I've installed the script file in the right place, but I don't think the plug-in is showing up in my GIMP. Can you confirm that the following are the last several lines of the script file ? Also, where exactly should it be found in the menus? Thanks. Sorry to trouble you. Joe

************** end of feather_paste.py ****************** [
(PF_IMAGE, "img", "Input image", None), (PF_DRAWABLE, "layer", "Input layer", None) ],
[],
feathered_paste,
menu="/Edit"
)

main()

Kevin Cozens
2014-01-08 17:10:50 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 14-01-08 11:35 AM, SirCrow wrote:

Put th e;py file in a GIMP plug-ins folder (on Linux it is /home//.gimp-2.8/plug-ins), for example,

Joao, I think I've installed the script file in the right place, but I don't think the plug-in is showing up in my GIMP. Can you confirm that the following are the last several lines of the script file ?

If you installed the file under Linux, have you marked the file as executable? chmod +x feather_paste.py

Cheers!

Kevin.

| powerful!"
2014-01-08 23:55:25 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP

If you installed the file under Linux, have you marked the file as executable?
chmod +x feather_paste.py

Sorry! Forgot to mention that I'm still stuck with Windows Vista. Yes, you heard me. So, if making executable is n/a, then where within the GIMP UI should I find that elusive plug-in? Thanks!

Cheers, Joe

Partha Bagchi
2014-01-08 23:58:46 UTC (over 10 years ago)

1. Where did you download the file from? 2. What the file extension after downloading? 3. Where did you put the file once downloaded?

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM, SirCrow wrote:

If you installed the file under Linux, have you marked the file as executable?
chmod +x feather_paste.py

Sorry! Forgot to mention that I'm still stuck with Windows Vista. Yes, you
heard me. So, if making executable is n/a, then where within the GIMP UI should
I find that elusive plug-in? Thanks!

Cheers, Joe

--
SirCrow (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

Kevin Cozens
2014-01-09 02:35:38 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 14-01-08 06:55 PM, SirCrow wrote:

where within the GIMP UI should I find that elusive plug-in? Thanks!

You showed the menu entry in the plug-in is menu="/Edit". The part indicates that the menu will appear in the menus you see when you have an image open and right click the image to get a menu. The menu entry you are looking for will be under the Edit menu entry of the menus which appear after right-clicking an image.

Cheers!

Kevin.

| powerful!"
Jerry Baker
2014-01-09 13:39:49 UTC (over 10 years ago)

It should also be accessible from the bottom of the regular 'Edit' menu (Without on image open it's deactivated):

On 01/08/2014 09:35 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:

On 14-01-08 06:55 PM, SirCrow wrote:

where within the GIMP UI should I find that elusive plug-in? Thanks!

You showed the menu entry in the plug-in is menu="/Edit". The part indicates that the menu will appear in the menus you see when you have an image open and right click the image to get a menu. The menu entry you are looking for will be under the Edit menu entry of the menus which appear after right-clicking an image.

2014-01-14 13:24:27 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

1. Where did you download the file from?

2. What the file extension after downloading?

.py

3. Where did you put the file once downloaded?

C:\Program Files\GIMP\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Joe

2014-01-14 13:45:36 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

FotoTouch app

Sure, I'll play with that. It will probably run under WINE. ...

Anyone want me to post an archived copy (909 KB) of Logitech's FotoTouch Color?

Cheers, Joe

Liam R E Quin
2014-01-14 16:57:23 UTC (over 10 years ago)

FotoTouch app

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 14:45 +0100, SirCrow wrote:

Sure, I'll play with that. It will probably run under WINE. ...

Anyone want me to post an archived copy (909 KB) of Logitech's FotoTouch Color?

Not unless it was published in a way that allowed such redistribution, and you have the necessary permission.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
Partha Bagchi
2014-01-14 23:26:40 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Looks like you downloaded correctly and while I would not have put it in the gimp plug-ins folder, it should still work.

So when I installed it, it showed up correctly as expected under Edit -> Feathered Paste.

It will be grayed out till something is in the clipboard. When the clipboard is populated, you can use feathered paste.

However, I am not sure it works as advertised from my cursory usage. That's something to take up with the author.

I would want a pasted layer and not pasted on the image.

Hope that helps.

Partha

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM, SirCrow wrote:

.py

Joe

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

2014-01-15 03:42:00 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Why so COMPLICATED?

Looks like you downloaded correctly and while I would not have put it in the gimp plug-ins folder, it should still work.

So when I installed it, it showed up correctly as expected under Edit -> Feathered Paste.

I still can't see it anywhere. Where exactly would YOU put it? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Should it work in GIMP 2.8.10?

Joe

Partha Bagchi
2014-01-15 10:41:23 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Why so COMPLICATED?

I assume you are addressing me. Please keep the attributions next time. Thanks.

I would put all downloaded plugins in my personal gimp-2.8 folder in its plug-ins folder:

C:\Users\yourloginname\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins or C:\Users\yourloginname\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.8 (this may be a hidden folder).

I would be happy to post a screenshot but this site does not allow images.

Partha

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM, SirCrow wrote:

So when I installed it, it showed up correctly as expected under Edit ->

Feathered Paste.

I still can't see it anywhere. Where exactly would YOU put it? I don't know
what I'm doing wrong. Should it work in GIMP 2.8.10?

Joe

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-01-15 18:52:37 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 14 January 2014 21:26, Partha Bagchi wrote:

It will be grayed out till something is in the clipboard. When the clipboard is populated, you can use feathered paste.

However, I am not sure it works as advertised from my cursory usage. That's something to take up with the author.

Hi Partha -
as it is, the plug-in does merge down the pasted layer, after feathering.

You can change this behavior by commenting out the second before last line inside the plug-in function - the one spelling: pdb.gimp_image_merge_down(img, sel, EXPAND_AS_NECESSARY)

----- Just place a "#" character in front of it and save again.

---

Another detail in your message: the plug-in does not become "enabled" when there is something int the clipboard. There is no way for GIMP to know the plug-in
does consume the clip-board. It however, will go from disabled to enabled when there is an active image.

js ->

Hope that helps.

Partha

.py

Joe

Partha Bagchi
2014-01-15 22:42:09 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Thanks Joao. Will try that out.

Joe, (Total speculation) maybe you are not looking at the right place?

Note that the plugin will show up at the bottom of the Edit menu.

Hope this helps.

Partha

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

On 14 January 2014 21:26, Partha Bagchi wrote:

However, I am not sure it works as advertised from my cursory usage.

That's

something to take up with the author.

Hi Partha -
as it is, the plug-in does merge down the pasted layer, after feathering.

You can change this behavior by commenting out the second before last line inside the plug-in function - the one spelling: pdb.gimp_image_merge_down(img, sel, EXPAND_AS_NECESSARY)

----- Just place a "#" character in front of it and save again.

---

Another detail in your message: the plug-in does not become "enabled" when there is something int the clipboard. There is no way for GIMP to know the plug-in
does consume the clip-board. It however, will go from disabled to enabled when there is an active image.

js ->

Hope that helps.

Partha

.py

Joe

Ofnuts
2014-01-16 09:59:31 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 01/15/2014 11:42 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Thanks Joao. Will try that out.

Joe, (Total speculation) maybe you are not looking at the right place?

Note that the plugin will show up at the bottom of the Edit menu.

"Help/Plugin browser" is a good way to locate plugins in the menus.

2014-01-16 17:09:25 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Among other places, I've put the file in: C:\Users\Joe J\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins and C:\Users\Joe J\.gimp-2.8\scripts

Kevin Payne
2014-01-16 17:43:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)

As no-one had asked the question up to now I was going to ask which version of GIMP you have installed, but this post tells me that you have a 2.8.? version, so the presumption is that Python support gets installed automatically (and isn't an installation option)

Do you have the following menu entry: Filters>>Python-Fu>>Console ?

Kevin

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 18:09:25 +0100 From: forums@gimpusers.com
CC: team@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Can't find feather_paste.py in GIMP

Among other places, I've put the file in: C:\Users\Joe J\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins and C:\Users\Joe J\.gimp-2.8\scripts

2014-01-17 05:26:22 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Yes, I do have the entry Filters>>Python-Fu>>Console

Joe

As no-one had asked the question up to now I was going to ask which version of GIMP you have installed, but this post tells me that you have a 2.8.? version, so the presumption is that Python support gets installed automatically (and isn't an installation option)

Kevin

Kevin Payne
2014-01-17 09:40:53 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Can I suggest we take this problem over to one of the GIMP forums, where it's possible to add attachments and show pictures: for example gimpchat.com

Kevin

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 06:26:22 +0100 From: forums@gimpusers.com
CC: team@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Can't Find "feather_paste" Plug-in

Joe

Kevin

--
SirCrow (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Joao S. O. Bueno
2014-01-17 12:21:29 UTC (over 10 years ago)

So, if you have Python console configured, and you are on Windows, all that you should need to do is to put that file in one of the directories listed in your edit->preferences->folders->plug-ins - and restart GIMP.

If the entry does not show up in your edit menu by then, it is possible that you copied more (or less) lines than you should when picking the Python file, and therefore, you have a syntax error in the file you are trying to use a sa plug-in.

Just copy the file again from this URL, from the first to last line:

https://raw2.github.com/jsbueno/gimp-plugins/master/feather_paste.py

On 17 January 2014 03:26, SirCrow wrote:

Joe

Kevin

--

Ofnuts
2014-01-18 11:13:32 UTC (over 10 years ago)

A frequent problem on Windows: the download mechanism adds a ".txt" extension (for safety?) that the user doesn't see because his file explorer masks extensions. So he sees a file named "foobar.py" and nothing tells him that it's actually "foobar.py.txt". But since it's a ".txt" file it is ignored by Gimp.

On 01/17/2014 01:21 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

So, if you have Python console configured, and you are on Windows, all that you should need to do is to put that file in one of the directories listed in your edit->preferences->folders->plug-ins - and restart GIMP.

If the entry does not show up in your edit menu by then, it is possible that you copied more (or less) lines than you should when picking the Python file, and therefore, you have a syntax error in the file you are trying to use a sa plug-in.

Joe

Kevin

--

Michael Schumacher
2014-01-18 11:15:31 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 18.01.2014 12:13, Ofnuts wrote:

A frequent problem on Windows: the download mechanism adds a ".txt" extension (for safety?)

No, because Drupal or something else gets this wrong.

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Partha Bagchi
2014-01-18 12:07:32 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Ofnuts, Joe already mentioned that the downloaded file has the py extension.

Partha

PS: He seems to start a new thread every time he asks a question or responds to one related to this. :(

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM, Ofnuts wrote:

A frequent problem on Windows: the download mechanism adds a ".txt" extension (for safety?) that the user doesn't see because his file explorer masks extensions. So he sees a file named "foobar.py" and nothing tells him that it's actually "foobar.py.txt". But since it's a ".txt" file it is ignored by Gimp.

On 01/17/2014 01:21 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

So, if you have Python console configured, and you are on Windows, all that you should need to do is to put that file in one of the directories listed in your edit->preferences->folders->plug-ins -
and restart GIMP.

Joe

As no-one had asked the question up to now I was going to ask which

version of GIMP you have installed, but this post tells me that you have a 2.8.? version, so the presumption is that Python support gets installed automatically (and isn't an installation option)

Kevin

--

2014-01-18 19:28:21 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Can't Find "feather_paste.py" Script File

Joao: I've re-copied and pasted it, but it still doesn't show up.

Ofnuts: The file name ends with .py, not .txt. I checked to make sure.

Partha: I always click on Reply when I'm replying to a posting, as I did this time, so I don't know why it would appear as a new thread. For some reason, my old Subject title "Why so COMPLICATED?" keeps appearing, so I have to change it frequently.

Kevin: I've joined that other forum and posted my "feather_paste" issue there. Thanks.

Wow, so much trouble just to feather some edges easily, the way I did in FotoTouch -- 15 years ago!

Cheers,

Joe

Michael Schumacher
2014-01-18 20:03:42 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 18.01.2014 20:28, SirCrow wrote:

Firefox gets the extension right when I just download it.

I put it into my default user plug-ins directory, and it works.

Regards,
Michael
Partha Bagchi
2014-01-18 21:14:47 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Hi Joe,

Even now, it's a new thread.

You started with one thread (which forget now), then you used "Why so complicated" to respond to my questions, and then you used "Can't Find feather_paste.py plugin" and now you are using "Can't Find feather_paste.py" Script file.

Thus it's difficult to keep all the suggestions to you together.

Any way, all the trouble is because you cannot find the menu item on your system and everyone is trying to help you.

Partha

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Patrick Shanahan
2014-01-18 21:29:54 UTC (over 10 years ago)

* Partha Bagchi [01-18-14 16:15]:

Hi Joe,

You started with one thread (which forget now), then you used "Why so complicated" to respond to my questions, and then you used "Can't Find feather_paste.py plugin" and now you are using "Can't Find feather_paste.py" Script file.

Any way, all the trouble is because you cannot find the menu item on your system and everyone is trying to help you.

Partha

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Michael Schumacher wrote:

-- Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list

Instead of typing in the mail-list address, he is lazily responding to a different message and not changing the attributes. He is unknowing of his actions, aoler....

(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana, USA          @ptilopteri
http://en.opensuse.org    openSUSE Community Member    facebook/ptilopteri
http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://linuxcounter.net
Michael Schumacher
2014-01-18 21:42:53 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On 18.01.2014 22:14, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Hi Joe,

This may also be caused by the forum-to-list interface.

But Thunderbird seems to get the threading right, and Joe's messages have In-Reply-To headers set. I haven't checked if those always reference the corresponding messages, but the most recent one is correct:

Joao's message:

Message-ID:

Joe's message:

In-Reply-To:

Regards,
Michael
2014-01-18 22:25:43 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Blah-blah-blah...

I'm afraid to Reply to anything at this point, but I just want to clarify that the "trouble" to which I referred was with the whole "feathering of edges" issue. It was so very simple in FotoTouch, so anything more complicated is, to me, needless trouble. These are all very petty problems, indeed, but still....

Anyway, I'll be posting at gimpchat.com from now on. Good-bye to the annoying "challenge" things. Too much eye strain even without those things!

Ciao,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Partha

Michael Schumacher
2014-01-19 12:42:32 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Blah-blah-blah...

On 18.01.2014 23:25, SirCrow wrote:

I'm afraid to Reply to anything at this point

Anyway, I'll be posting at gimpchat.com from now on. Good-bye to the annoying "challenge" things. Too much eye strain even without those things!

What you can do instead would be to subscribe to the list directly with a mail client, one that supports mailing lists by offering threading and List Reply, instead of using it through the gimpusers.* gateway.

To the gimpusers.* admins, who seem to be at least partially responsible here:

You should investigate if mail subjects can be handled better by your gateway. The In-Reply-To header isn't handled by all clients, else Partha would see no new threads. Maybe you can make sure that a changed subject is converted to a proper Re: subject in this context, for example if the users changes it from a very old one (Joe had to do this, maybe also investigate why?) to the current one, but forgets the Reply marker.

Regards,
Michael