RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Justin Gombos 10 Aug 06:11
  Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Dave Neary 10 Aug 10:26
   Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Sven Neumann 10 Aug 11:21
    Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Dave Neary 10 Aug 11:41
     Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Sven Neumann 10 Aug 12:24
    Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Owen 10 Aug 12:12
   Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Justin Gombos 11 Aug 02:50
  Moving objects strictly on the X or Y axis Sven Neumann 10 Aug 10:57
Justin Gombos
2004-08-10 06:11:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

How do I restrict movement to be either horizontal or vertical?

I tried holding shift, control, and alt, and no luck.

Dave Neary
2004-08-10 10:26:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting Justin Gombos :

I tried holding shift, control, and alt, and no luck.

Using the cursors is how I usually handle this. With the move tool selected, Shift selects the active layer rather than the topmost layer underneath the cursor, Control moves a path, and Alt moves a selection (rather than its contents).

When moving a selection with the cursors, Shift-cursor moves the selection by a larger amount (26 pixels, I just checked, no idea why).

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Sven Neumann
2004-08-10 10:57:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Justin Gombos writes:

Use the cursor keys instead of moving with the mouse. You can press Shift to increase the movement per keypress.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-08-10 11:21:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

When moving a selection with the cursors, Shift-cursor moves the selection by a larger amount (26 pixels, I just checked, no idea why).

It moves by 25 pixels. Why? Because it's defined like this in gimpeditselectiontool.c:

#define ARROW_VELOCITY 25

In GIMP 2.1 this behaviour has been changed. The selection is now moved 25 display pixels not 25 image pixels so you get a larger movement if you are looking at the image zoomed out. The behaviour of just using the cursor keys (w/o pressing Shift) didn't change. It always moves exactly one image pixel.

The ChangeLog asked for complaints if anyone dislikes the new behaviour and so far noone complained so it will probably stay this way for GIMP 2.2.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-08-10 11:41:50 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Quoting Sven Neumann :

Dave Neary writes:

It moves by 25 pixels. Why? Because it's defined like this in gimpeditselectiontool.c:

Odd - I just tried this, and it definitely moves 26 pixels. After 4 moves, the layer is offset 104 pixels, one back to the left, it goes to 78 pixels. This is on Win32, although it seems weird that this would be different from teh windows behaviour...

The ChangeLog asked for complaints if anyone dislikes the new behaviour and so far noone complained so it will probably stay this way for GIMP 2.2.

Not many people are using 2.1 right now (since we discourage binary releases), but I like the change, I think... there will likely be feedback when it's released in a beta though. Plus, very few people read the Changelog, so it's probable the request was missed by most people.

Cheers, Dave.

--
Dave Neary
Lyon, France

Owen
2004-08-10 12:12:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On 10 Aug 2004 11:21:12 +0200
Sven Neumann wrote:

2.0.4 and 2.1.3 both move 26 pixels

Sven Neumann
2004-08-10 12:24:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Odd - I just tried this, and it definitely moves 26 pixels. After 4 moves, the layer is offset 104 pixels, one back to the left, it goes to 78 pixels. This is on Win32, although it seems weird that this would be different from teh windows behaviour...

Confirmed on Linux. That would be a bug then and should be reported. I suspect that the key event is interpreted twice, once with the modifier (which makes up for 25 pixels) and another time as if the modifier wasn't pressed (which would add another pixel).

Sven

Justin Gombos
2004-08-11 02:50:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

* Dave Neary [2004-08-10 16:09]:

Using the cursors is how I usually handle this. With the move tool selected, Shift selects the active layer rather than the topmost layer underneath the cursor, Control moves a path, and Alt moves a selection (rather than its contents).

Thanks for the suggestions. It's a bit slow, but works.

Is there a way to ensure that it stops when the layer boundary crosses the edge of the canvas?