RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

attaching ICC color profiles

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

attaching ICC color profiles William Skaggs 20 May 22:40
  attaching ICC color profiles John Culleton 22 May 22:11
   attaching ICC color profiles Henrik Brix Andersen 22 May 16:27
William Skaggs
2004-05-20 22:40:45 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Following up on some discussion here a while back, I have set up a simple way to add an ICC profile to an image in Gimp if you have the .icc file. It uses the MetaData plug-in I put together a little while ago; see:

http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=4013

If you compile and install this, and run it for an image (Filters->Generic->Attachments), then under the File menu there is an option "Load ICC Profile". A profile loaded in this way will be saved if you use the TIFF format -- as far as I know, no other Gimp file format currently handles a color profile.

I have tested this by loading a simple color profile in Linux and then opening the resulting TIFF file in Photoshop 6.0. I do not have the resources to test more complicated scenarios, so if you have problems, please let me know. Any feedback is welcome.

Best,
-- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-05-22 16:27:28 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 22:11, John Culleton wrote:

The new DTP program Scribus handles ICC profiles and will work in CMYK natively. There is a companion package LittleCMS that does much of the profile work. I wonder if there is potential for integrating LittleCMS in some way into Gimp?

The Color Proof display filter already uses LittleCMS, so yes - that is possible.

Regards,
Brix

John Culleton
2004-05-22 22:11:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thursday 20 May 2004 10:40 am, William Skaggs wrote:

Following up on some discussion here a while back, I have set up a simple way to add an ICC profile to an image in Gimp if you have the .icc file. It uses the MetaData plug-in I put together a little while ago; see:

http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=4013

Continuing on the same theme:

The new DTP program Scribus handles ICC profiles and will work in CMYK natively. There is a companion package LittleCMS that does much of the profile work. I wonder if there is potential for integrating LittleCMS in some way into Gimp?

And which of the standard Gimp file formats have the potential for conversion to CMYK model? It seems that Tiff, Postscript and PDF file formats can be created or converted to CMYK (but not by Gimp yet.) What about PNM, PNG and JPG? Are they inherently RPG or can CMYK versions of the same file format be produced outside of Gimp?