RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Hi-Res Screen Captures

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Hi-Res Screen Captures Sigmascape1@cs.com 05 May 22:08
  Hi-Res Screen Captures David Neary 05 May 23:35
Hi-Res Screen Captures Sigmascape1@cs.com 06 May 13:47
  Hi-Res Screen Captures Alexander Rabtchevich 06 May 14:32
  Hi-Res Screen Captures Sven Neumann 06 May 14:35
  Hi-Res Screen Captures Dave Neary 06 May 14:40
  Hi-Res Screen Captures Joao S. O. Bueno 06 May 15:07
   Hi-Res Screen Captures Eric Pierce 06 May 16:00
    Hi-Res Screen Captures Sven Neumann 06 May 17:19
Sigmascape1@cs.com
2004-05-05 22:08:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Hi,

Stupid question, potentially. Can anyone direct me to a place on the web where I can find 150PPI or 300PPI (prefer 300PPI) GIMP screen shots from all the major platforms... Mac, Linux and Windows? I am putting together some GIMP propaganda, and need some help. Ideally, I need a couple from each platform to satisfy my situation.

Thanks!

MLF

David Neary
2004-05-05 23:35:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Hi,

Sigmascape1@cs.com wrote:

Stupid question, potentially.

Potentially, but you got away with it :)

Can anyone direct me to a place on the web where I can find 150PPI or 300PPI (prefer 300PPI) GIMP screen shots from all the major platforms... Mac, Linux and Windows? I am putting together some GIMP propaganda, and need some help. Ideally, I need a couple from each platform to satisfy my situation.

Please keep us informed when your propaganda is finished, we're always interested :)

For a 17" screen, 300dpi is about 4000x3000, isn't it? I don't know of any such screenshots myself. There certainly aren't any on www.gimp.org. If you find any, I'd be interested in seeing them too.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sigmascape1@cs.com
2004-05-06 13:47:05 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Can anyone direct me to a place on the web where I can find 150PPI or 300PPI (prefer 300PPI) GIMP screen shots from all the major platforms... Mac, Linux and Windows? I am putting together some GIMP propaganda, and need some help. Ideally, I need a couple from each platform to satisfy my situation.

Please keep us informed when your propaganda is finished, we're always interested :)

For a 17" screen, 300dpi is about 4000x3000, isn't it? I don't know of any such screenshots myself. There certainly aren't any on www.gimp.org. If you find any, I'd be interested in seeing them too.

Cheers,
Dave.

Alexander Rabtchevich
2004-05-06 14:32:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Have you tried just to capture regular screenshots at 1024x768 and then resize them in GIMP with better interpolation to achieve required dpi?

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-06 14:35:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Hi,

Sigmascape1@cs.com writes:

The key is for the brochures to look good when printed out. I'me trying to locate an app on the Windows side that outputs screens in hi-res but I haven't had any luck.

The GIMP user interface is not drawn in a resolution-independant way and AFAIK this is true for all windows applications also. So all you can do is to scale the screenshot up. However since that won't improve the quality, you can as well not scale it and just use your screen resolution. It shouldn't look too bad when printed and people don't expect high resolutions for screenshots.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-05-06 14:40:31 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Hi,

Hey, what did you think of the MacGIMP ad in Mac Design Magazine?

Didn't see it, sorry (not a mac person, yet - anyone want to offer me one?)

Cheers, Dave.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-05-06 15:07:14 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Hi...
I think it a conceptual error wanting 300DPI screenshots - Maybe not - but wait second - the GIMP interface is designed to be displayed at typical monitor resolutions - from 72 to 96 dpi.

On the other hand, a monitor will have 15'' to 17'' inhes, and your print out of a screenshot should be a few inches accross - so the 1000 pixels wide, 15 inch at 96 dpi screenshot would make for a 5 inch wide ate 300dpi screenshot - no matter.

If you do intend to actually make printouts of 15'', 17'' in paper, nonetheless, a "real world" screen shot will do - the interface text may appear aliased or blurred in a good quality printing - but hey---that's how it looks like on the screen. :-) And on top of that, you may still try to increase the quality of a screenshot scaled up to 3000 pixels using the Gimp itself, if there is the need.

One last thing - if you actually can find a 3000 pixel screenshot, the interface - at least the icons - will appear proportionally small - you won't be able to achieve better icons than from a 1024x768 screenshot.

Anyway, you may be planning something different, that I had not grasped at all. But if you are after "300dpi screenshots" just because the clerk at your printshop told you so, the way to go is to scale up a plain screenshot.

regards,

JS ->

On Thursday 06 May 2004 08:47, Sigmascape1@cs.com wrote:

Cheers,
Dave.

--
      David Neary,
      Lyon, France
 E-Mail: bolsh@gimp.org

The key is for the brochures to look good when printed out. I'me trying to locate an app on the Windows side that outputs screens in hi-res but I haven't had any luck.

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston

Eric Pierce
2004-05-06 16:00:34 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Exactly. What you're after isn't possible.

Screen shots are pixelated in print. To get your 300dpi, scale the image, but use 'None' for interpolation type. That'll maintain the pixely look, but it won't be some smeared, blurry looking screenshot. It'll be crisp.

The only way you'd get what you want is if all of Gimp's icons were vector based (then you could scale to your hearts delight.)

Eric

Hi...
I think it a conceptual error wanting 300DPI screenshots - Maybe not - but wait second - the GIMP interface is designed to be displayed at typical
monitor resolutions - from 72 to 96 dpi.

On the other hand, a monitor will have 15'' to 17'' inhes, and your print out
of a screenshot should be a few inches accross - so the 1000 pixels wide, 15
inch at 96 dpi screenshot would make for a 5 inch wide ate 300dpi screenshot
- no matter.

If you do intend to actually make printouts of 15'', 17'' in paper, nonetheless, a "real world" screen shot will do - the interface text may appear aliased or blurred in a good quality printing - but hey---that's how
it looks like on the screen. :-) And on top of that, you may still try to increase the quality of a screenshot scaled up to 3000 pixels using the Gimp
itself, if there is the need.

One last thing - if you actually can find a 3000 pixel screenshot, the interface - at least the icons - will appear proportionally small - you won't
be able to achieve better icons than from a 1024x768 screenshot.

Anyway, you may be planning something different, that I had not grasped at all. But if you are after "300dpi screenshots" just because the clerk at your printshop told you so, the way to go is to scale up a plain screenshot.

regards,

JS ->

On Thursday 06 May 2004 08:47, Sigmascape1@cs.com wrote:

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary,
Lyon, France
E-Mail: bolsh@gimp.org

The key is for the brochures to look good when printed out. I'me trying to
locate an app on the Windows side that outputs screens in hi-res but I haven't had any luck.

Thanks!

Mitch Featherston

Sven Neumann
2004-05-06 17:19:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi-Res Screen Captures

Hi,

"Eric Pierce" writes:

The only way you'd get what you want is if all of Gimp's icons were vector based (then you could scale to your hearts delight.)

You can replace the icons with scalable SVG icons simply be creating a GIMP theme. That would not make all of the interface scalable though.

Sven