RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with custom brushes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with custom brushes Patricia Mayo 28 Apr 02:04
  Problem with custom brushes Joao S. O. Bueno 28 Apr 04:53
  Problem with custom brushes Carol Spears 28 Apr 06:15
Patricia Mayo
2004-04-28 02:04:39 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

First time post =) First time I haven't been able to figure it out on my own in the three years I've been using The Gimp, so here goes the scenario.

I followed the tutorial on making custom brushes, but I want it to use the color on the palette. I've tried saving it in .gbr and .gih and both just make the brush paint in black - also it creates a duplicate, creating a grass and grass#2. The way I'm creating them is I go to File>New, create a 40x40 image at 100x100 resolution in RGB with a transparent background. Then I take my pencil brush, 1x1 circle, black and draw the lines I want, then save in my custom directory, in which The Gimp already looks to seek custom brushes. So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot, Trisha

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-04-28 04:53:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 21:04, Patricia Mayo wrote:

First time post =) First time I haven't been able to figure it out on my own in the three years I've been using The Gimp, so here goes the scenario.

I followed the tutorial on making custom brushes, but I want it to use the color on the palette. I've tried saving it in .gbr and .gih and both just make the brush paint in black - also it creates a duplicate, creating a grass and grass#2. The way I'm creating them is I go to File>New, create a 40x40 image at 100x100 resolution in RGB with a transparent background. Then I take my pencil brush, 1x1 circle, black and draw the lines I want, then save in my custom directory, in which The Gimp already looks to seek custom brushes. So what am I doing wrong?

Hi there!

If you want it to use the color on the palette, you should reduce it to a grayscale image before saving, and not use transparency. The areas that will be painted shall be colored black, and unpainted areas shall stay white (not transparent).

RGBA images are for brushes that contain their own color.

Thanks a lot,
Trisha

Regards,
JS
->

Carol Spears
2004-04-28 06:15:30 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:04:39PM -0500, Patricia Mayo wrote:

the non-animated brushes will always save in grayscale. brushes like this use color from the tool box or from the gradient (which ever you tell it to use in the brush tool options dialog).

custom brush can mean a round brush that you define the hardness for (i just finished a tour of Gimp2 editors and i mentioned this "brush" there http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/basics/dialogs/editors/#brush).

custom brush can also mean a grayscale image that gets used to apply the toolbox colors or the gradient onto the image.

custom brushes can also mean an animated brush that you use to apply color or gradient from the toolbox.

if i read what you are doing correctly, you are trying to make the brush do more than it ever could by saving the color as well.

did you try to open the brushes that came with the gimp to see what they look like? if you are using linux, these files are located either at /usr/local/share/gimp/2.0/brushes or if your distribution installed it at /usr/share/gimp/2.0/brushes or perhaps some other place they (the distribution) put things.

i was trying to make a cat footprint animated brush. this is not a trivial project ...

carol