RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Questions about EXIF data (Windows version)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Questions about EXIF data (Windows version) perkin-warbeck 20 Feb 19:40
  Questions about EXIF data (Windows version) Michael Schumacher 21 Feb 16:03
   Questions about EXIF data (Windows version) perkin-warbeck 21 Feb 22:54
2011-02-20 19:40:33 UTC (about 13 years ago)
postings

I'm sending tiff files to GIMP (version 2.6.7 for Windows) from a raw converter. The tiff files contain a lot of EXIF data such as Fnumber, FocalLength, ExposureTime, ISO. and so-on. When I save as jpeg from GIMP, most of the EXIF data is discarded. In the "Save as JPEG" dialog, the checkbox "Save EXIF data" (under Advaned Options" is unchecked. It is grayed out so I cannot check it.

In Chapter 6 of the GIMP manual, it says

Although GIMP uses the “libexif” library to read and write EXIF data, the library is not automatically packaged with GIMP. If GIMP was built with libexif support, then EXIF data is preserved

Here are my questions: (1) Is the Windows version of GIMP packaged with libexif? (2) If not, is there a workaround?

Michael Schumacher
2011-02-21 16:03:42 UTC (about 13 years ago)

Von: perkin-warbeck

I'm sending tiff files to GIMP (version 2.6.7 for Windows) from a raw converter. The tiff files contain a lot of EXIF data such as Fnumber, FocalLength, ExposureTime, ISO. and so-on. When I save as jpeg from GIMP, most of the EXIF data is discarded. In the "Save as JPEG" dialog, the checkbox "Save EXIF data" (under Advaned Options" is unchecked. It is grayed out so I cannot check it.

The Exif data is discarded when opening the TIFF files. So far, only the JPEG plug-in reads and saves Exif data from and to image files.

Here are my questions: (1) Is the Windows version of GIMP packaged with libexif?

Yes.

(2) If not, is there a workaround?

A workaround is to use a different tool - e.g. exiftool - to extract the Exif data from the original files and add it back to the resulting files.

A fix would be to add Exif support to more file format plug-ins (e.g. TIFF, PNG and possibly others).

Regards, Michael

2011-02-21 22:54:43 UTC (about 13 years ago)
postings

Thank you, Michael. You solved my problem. I was able to import EXIF data using ExifTool.