RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

cutting down gif

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

3D Image Alf C Stockton 08 Mar 19:34
3D Images Alf C Stockton 09 Mar 17:08
  3D Images Dave Neary 09 Mar 17:51
  3D Images Alan Horkan 09 Mar 20:13
   cutting down gif Matt 14 Mar 07:25
    cutting down gif Sven Neumann 14 Mar 13:09
Alf C Stockton
2004-03-08 19:34:43 UTC (about 20 years ago)

3D Image

I have a flat image to which I wish to add a border to make it look 3d. Please tell me how to do this.
I would like the border to be outside the actual image so that all of the original image is still showing.

---

Regards, Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za

An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose. -- A. P. Herbert

Alf C Stockton
2004-03-09 17:08:58 UTC (about 20 years ago)

3D Images

I have a flat image to which I wish to add a border to make it look 3d. Please tell me how to do this.
I would like the border to be outside the actual image so that all of the original image is still showing.

---

Regards, Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za

"At least they're ___________EXPERIENCED incompetents"

Dave Neary
2004-03-09 17:51:26 UTC (about 20 years ago)

3D Images

Hi Alf,

Alf C Stockton wrote:

I have a flat image to which I wish to add a border to make it look 3d.

We heard you the last time :) Unfortunately these things take time sometime before people answer them.

There are a couple of ways you can make something look 3d, as you say - the easiest is with a drop shadow - cut away the background behind your image, then duplicate the layer, fill the non-transparent bits of the bottom copy with black, gaussian blur it with a decent sized radius and deplace it a few pixels below and to the right.

An example of a drop shadow and some other basic 3d stuff is here: http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/tutorials/The_Basics/

To add a different border, you can use a similar technique with a bump-map, and experiment with textures to get the kind of effect you'd like.

Cheers, Dave.

Alan Horkan
2004-03-09 20:13:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

3D Images

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Alf C Stockton wrote:

Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:08:58 +0200 (SAST) From: Alf C Stockton
To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] 3D Images

You might try adding a bevel
Script-fu, Decor, Bevel.

but you did say you wanted it outside the image, so what you really want is probably
Script-fu, Decor, Add Border.

- Alan H.

Matt
2004-03-14 07:25:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

cutting down gif

I have a GIF that is 780 pixels wide and I would like to cut 30 pixels out of the middle to reduce it to 750 wide. What would be the best way to do that?

I am using Gimp for Windows 1.2. on Win98.

Thanks, Matt

Sven Neumann
2004-03-14 13:09:15 UTC (about 20 years ago)

cutting down gif

Hi,

Matt writes:

I have a GIF that is 780 pixels wide and I would like to cut 30 pixels out of the middle to reduce it to 750 wide. What would be the best way to do that?

Use the rect-select tool to select the right half, pick the selection and move it to the left by 30 pixels, then anchor it. Crop the image when you are done. Autocrop should do a good job here.

Sven