RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Feature request

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Feature request Thomas Spuhler 28 Jan 23:59
  Feature request Sven Neumann 29 Jan 00:47
   Feature request Thomas Spuhler 29 Jan 00:57
  Feature request Gene Heskett 29 Jan 03:39
   Feature request Thomas Spuhler 29 Jan 16:05
    Feature request Gene Heskett 29 Jan 17:39
  Feature request Sven Neumann 29 Jan 18:34
   Feature request Thomas Spuhler 29 Jan 21:43
    Feature request Carol Spears 30 Jan 05:12
Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-28 23:59:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

I have been a Gimp user on Mandrake (currently 9.2) for quite some time. I am currently using Gimp2-pre2. One of the features that I find annoying is the printing. It is difficult to use other printers than the standard, at least I don't know a direct and easy way. Using Gimp's normal printing feature is nice and OK for home usage or if always printing to the very same printer. Using kprinter is a really nice way to print in a corporate environment. I can choose the printer I like or need on the corporate network.

Would there be a possiblity to make just one small change and do it like Adobe Acrobat Reader: You just type in krinter into the printer field in the printing dialog?

Sven Neumann
2004-01-29 00:47:51 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

I have been a Gimp user on Mandrake (currently 9.2) for quite some time. I am currently using Gimp2-pre2. One of the features that I find annoying is the printing. It is difficult to use other printers than the standard, at least I don't know a direct and easy way. Using Gimp's normal printing feature is nice and OK for home usage or if always printing to the very same printer. Using kprinter is a really nice way to print in a corporate environment. I can choose the printer I like or need on the corporate network.

Would there be a possiblity to make just one small change and do it like Adobe Acrobat Reader: You just type in krinter into the printer field in the printing dialog?

What keeps you from doing just that? Create a new printer, let's call it kprinter, enter the Setup dialog and put 'kprinter' as the print command.

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-29 00:57:03 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

Thanks. It must have been too easy!

Tom

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:47, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Thomas Spuhler writes:

What keeps you from doing just that? Create a new printer, let's call it kprinter, enter the Setup dialog and put 'kprinter' as the print command.

Sven

Gene Heskett
2004-01-29 03:39:22 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 17:59, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

I have been a Gimp user on Mandrake (currently 9.2) for quite some time. I am currently using Gimp2-pre2. One of the features that I find annoying is the printing. It is difficult to use other printers than the standard, at least I don't know a direct and easy way.
Using Gimp's normal printing feature is nice and OK for home usage or if always printing to the very same printer. Using kprinter is a really nice way to print in a corporate environment. I can choose the printer I like or need on the corporate network.

If you were using gimp-print and cups, it would be pretty easy I think. I have 2 printers, both epson ink squirters, and 4 actual definitions setup, 2 for each printer in cups. 1 low res for text type outputs, and one hi-res for text+photo, both in color, for each printer.

To the Gimp, they are simply lp0, lp1, lp2, and lp3, and the gimp-print dialog allows you to change which printer you are using.

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-29 16:05:31 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

Thanks. See me post form yesterday. Of course I am using cups as print spooler. Sven's suggestion of adding kprinter with one single command (kprinter) in the command line solves this problem.

Gene, how are you going to change paper size to tabloid or legal if you do it your way. How would you tell to print 5 copies, or to use the manual tray instead of the lower tray to print transparencies, etc.? You just need "kprinter".

Tom

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 19:39, Gene Heskett wrote:

I have been a Gimp user on Mandrake (currently 9.2) for quite some time. I am currently using Gimp2-pre2. One of the features that I find annoying is the printing. It is difficult to use other printers than the standard, at least I don't know a direct and easy way.
Using Gimp's normal printing feature is nice and OK for home usage or if always printing to the very same printer. Using kprinter is a really nice way to print in a corporate environment. I can choose the printer I like or need on the corporate network.

If you were using gimp-print and cups, it would be pretty easy I think. I have 2 printers, both epson ink squirters, and 4 actual definitions setup, 2 for each printer in cups. 1 low res for text type outputs, and one hi-res for text+photo, both in color, for each printer.

To the Gimp, they are simply lp0, lp1, lp2, and lp3, and the gimp-print dialog allows you to change which printer you are using.

Gene Heskett
2004-01-29 17:39:54 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

On Thursday 29 January 2004 10:05, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

Thanks. See me post form yesterday. Of course I am using cups as print spooler. Sven's suggestion of adding kprinter with one single command (kprinter) in the command line solves this problem.

Gene, how are you going to change paper size to tabloid or legal if you do it your way. How would you tell to print 5 copies, or to use the manual tray instead of the lower tray to print transparencies, etc.? You just need "kprinter".

Tom

All that is available in the requester that comes up if I choose print from the gimp menu. It has submenu's that will allow the printer to be configured, either one-time for this page, or permanently if you wish.

This includes shrink and placement so I can do 4 or so pics per page by refeeding the page(s) for each print if I want more than 1 copy. I can also do duplex from there using the 2 pass method.

And currently, I've ripped foomatic out, all of it - "rm -fR the dirs", as the gimp-print drivers for epson are fully capable to doing things for my fairly color critical eyes to my satisfaction, a bit better on a C-82, than on a 6 color 820. The plus is that the inks for the C-82 are archival, where as the photo 820 uses some sort of water soluables that will fade with time. As time goes by I find myself using the 820 less and less.

The downside is that epson has jacked up the ink prices about 4x since I bought the first 820, and about 2x since I bought the C-82. A full set of tanks for the C-82 is around $70 US now, 2/3rds of what I paid for the C-82. That hurts, but they sure do nice work.

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 19:39, Gene Heskett wrote:

Sven Neumann
2004-01-29 18:34:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

Hi,

just for your information: If you have problems, comments or feature requests about the print plug-in, you should make sure you send them to the gimp-print developers. I am not sure if any gimp-print developers are subscribed here. gimp-print is not developed by the gimp development team; it's a separate project with separate mailing-lists, it's own bug-tracker. More infos should be available at their home-page: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-01-29 21:43:49 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

So far I am absolutely happy with the kprinter solution. Thanks Sven for the hint.
In Linux, we have Kprinter and Gnome Print. I am of the opinion that the printer manufacturers should provide the ppd's and we should not use our limited resources to develop additional print systems. But that is my opinion.
I just purchase those printers that come with the ppd files (HP provides a lot of them) and can use cups instead of proprietary software. This will make the manufacturers give it some attention. We are now stronger by Apple and Linux/Unix using cups.

Carol Spears
2004-01-30 05:12:53 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Feature request

hi,
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:43:49PM -0700, Thomas Spuhler wrote:

So far I am absolutely happy with the kprinter solution. Thanks Sven for the hint.
In Linux, we have Kprinter and Gnome Print. I am of the opinion that the printer manufacturers should provide the ppd's and we should not use our limited resources to develop additional print systems. But that is my opinion.
I just purchase those printers that come with the ppd files (HP provides a lot of them) and can use cups instead of proprietary software. This will make the manufacturers give it some attention. We are now stronger by Apple and Linux/Unix using cups.

a friend of mine had to check all of the linux print apps on many different printers. this seemed like a dreadful task, however, gimp-print won for everything except for one of the canon printers in the test.

probably it is just an issue of who has what driver working yet.

carol