RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

"Send by Email..." isn't working

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

"Send by Email..." isn't working Gunther Furtado 14 Jul 17:34
  "Send by Email..." isn't working Olivier Lecarme 14 Jul 18:24
   "Send by Email..." isn't working Gunther Furtado 14 Jul 20:43
    "Send by Email..." isn't working Frank McCormick 14 Jul 21:03
     "Send by Email..." isn't working Gunther Furtado 15 Jul 00:07
  "Send by Email..." isn't working Sven Neumann 14 Jul 22:52
   "Send by Email..." isn't working Patrick Horgan 14 Jul 23:06
    "Send by Email..." isn't working Sven Neumann 15 Jul 00:22
   "Send by Email..." isn't working Gunther Furtado 15 Jul 00:07
   "Send by Email..." isn't working Olivier Lecarme 15 Jul 07:29
    "Send by Email..." isn't working Frank Murphy 15 Jul 10:15
    "Send by Email..." isn't working redforce 15 Jul 12:38
     "Send by Email..." isn't working Freddy Freeloader 16 Jul 02:44
      "Send by Email..." isn't working Gunther Furtado 20 Jul 16:47
    "Send by Email..." isn't working Sven Neumann 15 Jul 21:03
Gunther Furtado
2009-07-14 17:34:05 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how the "Send by Email..." option on the file menu works but I could not find out any hints.

If you could point me out to some information.

I am using GIMP 2.6 in a Debian testing/unstable system.

Cheers,

Olivier Lecarme
2009-07-14 18:24:15 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Gunther Furtado wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how the "Send by Email..." option on the file menu works but I could not find out any hints.

Could you explain more what you encounter? To me, with exactly the same configuration, it works without problem.

Gunther Furtado
2009-07-14 20:43:43 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

terça, 14 de julho de 2009,
"Olivier Lecarme" escreveu:

Gunther Furtado wrote:

Hi,

Could you explain more what you encounter? ...

When I try to send any open image a dialog window asking about recipient, sender, subject and message text is open. I answer those questions and click "Send". Another window appears asking questions about image conversion. I answer those questions and click "save". Then, nothing else happens! No mail is sent. No message appears if I run GIMP on command line. Didn't try gimp-dbg yet, should I?

... To me, with exactly the same
configuration, it works without problem.

I am using kde and my exim4 configuration is for local mail only.

cheers,

Frank McCormick
2009-07-14 21:03:53 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:43:43 -0300 Gunther Furtado wrote:

Gunther Furtado wrote:

Hi,

When I try to send any open image a dialog window asking about recipient, sender, subject and message text is open. I answer those questions and click "Send". Another window appears asking questions about image conversion. I answer those questions and click "save". Then, nothing else happens! No mail is sent. No message appears if I run GIMP on command line. Didn't try gimp-dbg yet, should I?

What app do you use for mail from the internet ? Is it your default mailer ?

Sven Neumann
2009-07-14 22:52:29 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 12:34 -0300, Gunther Furtado wrote:

Hi,

This feature requires that you have sendmail (or a compatible mail system) installed and configured on your system. As that is rather uncommon nowadays, the plug-in should probably be disabled on most distributions. It's pretty useless anyway (which is why it's called the GIMP Useless Mail Plug-In).

Sven

Patrick Horgan
2009-07-14 23:06:08 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

This feature requires that you have sendmail (or a compatible mail system) installed and configured on your system. As that is rather uncommon nowadays, the plug-in should probably be disabled on most distributions. It's pretty useless anyway (which is why it's called the GIMP Useless Mail Plug-In).

On the lighter side, did anyone consider that if it was instead named the GIMP Realy Useless Mail Plug-In it would be GRUMPI?

Patrick

Gunther Furtado
2009-07-15 00:07:42 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Sven Neumann escreveu:

Hi,

I will try to set up exim then.

thanks!

Sven

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Gunther Furtado
2009-07-15 00:07:57 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Frank McCormick escreveu:

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:43:43 -0300 Gunther Furtado wrote:

Gunther Furtado wrote:

Hi,

What app do you use for mail from the internet ? Is it your default mailer ?

After what is described above, nothing happens. No mailer and no prompts.

I just tested on two machines: . very old machine with kde (kmail is the default) . old machine with XFCE (claws is the default)

The sending mail process worked on neither!

Tried to change the default app to mutt on the very old machine and no better results.

And gdb didn't catch any errors too...

heers,

Sven Neumann
2009-07-15 00:22:40 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 14:06 -0700, Patrick Horgan wrote:

On the lighter side, did anyone consider that if it was instead named the GIMP Realy Useless Mail Plug-In it would be GRUMPI?

Well, instead of doing that, someone could port the plug-in to use 'xdg-email'. That would make it somewhat useful again.

Sven

Olivier Lecarme
2009-07-15 07:29:20 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Aren't most GNU/Linux distributions installing by default a mail transfer agent like exim or postfix? Debian at least does this, and then the plug-in works.

Maybe the solution would be to change the plug-in in order it calls the preferred mail user agent, for example evolution or Thunderbird? This would make it useful after all.

Frank Murphy
2009-07-15 10:15:39 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On 15/07/09 06:29, Olivier Lecarme wrote:

Maybe someone on the Debian list, can help him put a hack together.

Regards,

Frank

2009-07-15 12:38:04 UTC (almost 15 years ago)
postings

Aren't most GNU/Linux distributions installing by default a mail transfer agent like exim or postfix? Debian at least does this, and then the plug-in works.

Please consider that a mail server also has to be configured which is often a non-trivial thing that can't be expected from a normal desktop user.

Maybe the solution would be to change the plug-in in order it calls the preferred mail user agent, for example evolution or Thunderbird? This would make it useful after all.

As Sven already said, I think xdg-email would be the best solution. GIMP just would have to execute "xdg-email --attach "

Sven Neumann
2009-07-15 21:03:49 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 07:29 +0200, Olivier Lecarme wrote:

No, that is not sufficient to make the plug-in work. The MTA also needs to be set up correctly. Most users nowadays don't have access to an SMTP mail relay that can easily be used for a system-wide MTA.

That's what I suggested. xdg-email is a wrapper that calls the user's preferred mail user agent.

Sven

Freddy Freeloader
2009-07-16 02:44:57 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Richard H. wrote:

Please consider that a mail server also has to be configured which is often a non-trivial thing that can't be expected from a normal desktop user.

As Sven already said, I think xdg-email would be the best solution. GIMP just would have to execute "xdg-email --attach "

Setting up exim4 isn't all that hard to do.

Run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config as root. Follow the instructions and set Exim up to use a smart host to send email. It doesn't have to listen on any port except 127.0.0.1. Set up the smart host as the smtp server for your isp--mail.example.com--and add your user name and password as follows to a single line in /etc/exim4/passwd.client : "mail.example.com:username:password" with url being your ISP's mail server and the username and password being your username and password for your ISP's mail server. Don't include the quotes as I used them only for delineation from the rest of the sentence.

Restart exim4, or edit /etc/exim4/passwd.client before running dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, and the email function in Gimp will work as it should.

Restart

Gunther Furtado
2009-07-20 16:47:42 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

quarta, 15 de julho de 2009,
Freddy Freeloader escreveu:

Richard H. wrote:

Setting up exim4 isn't all that hard to do.

Run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config as root. Follow the instructions and set Exim up to use a smart host to send email. It doesn't have to listen on any port except 127.0.0.1. Set up the smart host as the smtp server for your isp--mail.example.com--and add your user name and password as follows to a single line in /etc/exim4/passwd.client : "mail.example.com:username:password" with url being your ISP's mail server and the username and password being your username and password for your ISP's mail server. Don't include the quotes as I used them only for delineation from the rest of the sentence.

Restart exim4, or edit /etc/exim4/passwd.client before running dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config, and the email function in Gimp will work as it should.

Restart

Well, It is not really easy, but using smtp.gmail.com and disabling local delivery in dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config (maybe my /etc/hosts file is a bit messy) did the trick! I's all working well now.

cheers,