RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Perl Server under Xvfb

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Perl Server under Xvfb Gary C. New 04 Nov 03:51
  GIMP Perl Server under Xvfb Sven Neumann 04 Nov 12:14
   GIMP Perl Server under Xvfb Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 04 Nov 18:49
  GIMP Perl Server under Xvfb Gary C. New 18 Nov 00:46
Gary C. New
2003-11-04 03:51:39 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I have recently installed GIMP to run under a virtual X window using Xvfb. Additionally, I created two init.d scripts to automate the start/stop of Xvfb and GIMP's Perl Server at start-up/shutdown. Both scripts work great when executed manually, but when actually power cycling the system it only launches Xvfb and GIMP without the Perl Server.

I have Xvfb as one of the first scripts started under init.d and the GIMP with Perl Server as one of the last. Below, is the syntax I am using in each script.

daemon Xvfb :1 -screen 0 640x480x24 -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ -nolisten tcp -ac &

daemon /usr/bin/gimp --batch \''(extension-perl-server 1 0 0)'\' \''(gimp-quit 0)'\' --no-interface --no-data --verbose --display :1.0 --no-splash --no-splash-image --console-messages --enable-stack-trace never &

Any ideas?

Respectfully,

Gary

P.S. I am using it for a CAPTCHA installation.

Sven Neumann
2003-11-04 12:14:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Gary C. New" writes:

I have recently installed GIMP to run under a virtual X window using Xvfb. Additionally, I created two init.d scripts to automate the start/stop of Xvfb and GIMP's Perl Server at start-up/shutdown. Both scripts work great when executed manually, but when actually power cycling the system it only launches Xvfb and GIMP without the Perl Server.

You could use GIMP-1.3, It doesn't any longer need an X-Server to run in non-interactive mode. The problem is however that gimp-perl for GIMP-1.3 is only available from CVS so far.

Sven

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-11-04 18:49:46 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:14:40PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Xvfb. Additionally, I created two init.d scripts to automate the start/stop of Xvfb and GIMP's Perl Server at start-up/shutdown. Both scripts work great when executed manually, but when actually power cycling the system it only launches Xvfb and GIMP without the Perl Server.

You could use GIMP-1.3, It doesn't any longer need an X-Server to run

Very true. If you still need 1.2, you could look for a timing problem - Xvfb might take a while to start up. Also try to start it as late as possible. And maybe you rely on env variables (PATH, HOME etc.) that are not set when booting.

Gary C. New
2003-11-18 00:46:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I know this is not the most appropriate list to post this message to, but I wanted whoever runs into the same issue to know that I figured out what the problem was.

I originally thought that the Xvfb server was not being given enough time to start up or that some environmental variable was not being duplicated by the init.d script on start-up.

The problem turned out to be the order in which GIMP requires runtime options to be placed. I was placing the --batch option before the --display option and turned out to be the cause of the failure.

Here is my working runtime syntax for Xvfb and GIMP:

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 640x480x24 -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ -nolisten tcp -ac

/usr/bin/gimp --display :1.0 --no-interface --no-data --no-splash --no-splash-image --console-messages --enable-stack-trace never --batch '(extension-perl-server 1 0 0)' '(gimp-quit 0)'

I've attached the 2 init.d scripts I developed to get both Xvfb and Gimp/Perl-Server to start at boot-up.

Respectfully,

Gary

Gary C. New wrote:

I have Xvfb as one of the first scripts started under init.d and the GIMP with Perl Server as one of the last. Below, is the syntax I am using in each script.

daemon Xvfb :1 -screen 0 640x480x24 -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ -nolisten tcp -ac &

daemon /usr/bin/gimp --batch \''(extension-perl-server 1 0 0)'\' \''(gimp-quit 0)'\' --no-interface --no-data --verbose --display :1.0 --no-splash --no-splash-image --console-messages --enable-stack-trace never &

Any ideas?

Respectfully,

Gary

P.S. I am using it for a CAPTCHA installation.

#!/bin/sh
#
# Xvfb
#
# chkconfig: 2345 11 89
# description: Xvfb
#
# Gary C. New (ANTISPAM_garycnew_ANTISPAM@yahoo.com)

# Source function library. . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# See how we were called. case "$1" in
start)
echo -n $"Starting Xvfb: "

# daemon /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 640x480x24 -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ -nolisten tcp -ac & su garycnew -c "/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :1 -screen 0 640x480x24 -fp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/ -nolisten tcp -ac &"

# REQUIRED FOR SHUTDOWN TO WORK!!! daemon touch /var/lock/subsys/Xvfb

REVAL=$? echo
;;
stop)
echo -n $"Stopping Xvfb: "

killproc Xvfb

REVAL=$? echo
;;
restart)
$0 stop
$0 start
;;
status)
status Xvfb
;;
*)
echo "Usage: Xvfb {start|stop|restart|status}" exit 1
esac

exit 0

#!/bin/sh
#
# gimpy
#
# chkconfig: 2345 11 89
# description: Loads GIMP and its Perl-Server into memory. #
# Gary C. New (ANTISPAM_garycnew_ANTISPAM@yahoo.com)

# Source function library. . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# See how we were called. case "$1" in
start)
echo -n $"Starting gimp: "

# daemon /usr/bin/gimp --display :1.0 --no-interface --no-data --no-splash --no-splash-image --console-messages --enable-stack-trace never --batch \''(extension-perl-server 1 0 0)'\' \''(gimp-quit 0)'\' & su garycnew -c "/usr/bin/gimp --display :1.0 --no-interface --no-data --no-splash --no-splash-image --console-messages --enable-stack-trace never --batch '(extension-perl-server 1 0 0)' '(gimp-quit 0)' &"

# REQUIRED FOR SHUTDOWN TO WORK!!! daemon touch /var/lock/subsys/gimpy

REVAL=$? echo
;;
stop)
echo -n $"Stopping gimp: "

# killproc gimpy killproc gimp
killproc Perl-Server

REVAL=$? echo
;;
restart)
$0 stop
$0 start