RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Suggestion for GIMP Conference 2004

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Suggestion for GIMP Conference 2004 David Neary 01 Sep 13:57
David Neary
2003-09-01 13:57:08 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Suggestion for GIMP Conference 2004

Hi all,

Following the experience of the GNOME conferences, I think it would be an idea to start looking now for dates and a site for the GIMP conference next year.

As we know from this year, this is probably not going to be a huge event. There is the possibility of having it included in a larger event (as it was this year) to reduce the organisation costs (there are many such events, including the Rencontre Mondial des Logiciels Libres in Brussels, or GUADEC, or any of the dozen or so other hacker events around Europe, or indeed in the US), or it could be a standalone event.

As a standalone event, there would be a need for someone to organise facilities for perhaps 30 people (being optimistic), including network bandwidth, sleeping arrangements and conference room facilities.

As part of another event, it should really be co-ordinated by someone who is already involved in organising the event (as it was this year by Sven) - piggybacking on other people's hard work isn't that cool. Of course, if we started hunting for a group who would be happy to host our event, then that's great.

After that, we need to start thinking about sponsorship. A co-ordinated effort among a group of people is definitely the approach to take, I think. And it should start soon (as soon as we have dates and a location). It would be nice to know a couple of months in advance who is going to be there, who is having their expenses covered, and to what extent.

I haven't thought about it any more than that, but I think that we need to figure something out soon if we want to have a conference next year. It's worth bearing in mind that Sven proposed the CCC late last year as the location for the conference - a good 8 or 9 months before it. But a minimal event (with, say, 20 people and their laptops and hotel rooms using a university lecture hall for conferences) could be organised pretty quickly, and then the only (!) problem would be paying for it all.

First things first, though - when & where? Somewhere other than Berlin would be good, I think Sven & mitch would agree on that point :)

Looking at the provisional ideas we have, next May or June might be a good time. Any ideas for locations or volunteers for organisation?

Cheers,
Dave.