RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Using Parallel Make

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Using Parallel Make Don Rozenberg 05 Aug 01:46
  Using Parallel Make Chris Moller 05 Aug 03:32
  Using Parallel Make Sven Neumann 05 Aug 20:13
Using Parallel Make Don Rozenberg 05 Aug 06:00
Don Rozenberg
2007-08-05 01:46:41 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Using Parallel Make

Hi,

I recently acquired a new PC with a dual core chip running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn. So when I last tried to build Gimp, version 2.3.18, I used "make -j" and the build terminated with an error in just a few seconds. If I just use the command "make", the build completes successfully in about 10 minutes.

Reading up on parallel make, I conclude that the Gimp makefile is not up to snuff for doing a parallel make. Naively perhaps, I think that is a shame because I bet a lot of people would save a lot of time if they could do parallel makes. Has anyone looked at doing parallel builds of Gimp?

Regards,
Don

Chris Moller
2007-08-05 03:32:20 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Using Parallel Make

"make -j" without a numeric argument will overwhelm most machines fairly quickly in complex makes. Since you're running a dual-core machine, try "make -j3" or "make -j4". This will limit the number of concurrent processes to something reasonable and provide decent load balancing between processing and i/o. (I haven't looked at the gimp Makefiles recently, but running gcc with the -pipe option might help performance, at least on Linux systems--I haven't a clue about Windows systems.)

Don Rozenberg wrote:

Hi,

I recently acquired a new PC with a dual core chip running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn. So when I last tried to build Gimp, version 2.3.18, I used "make -j" and the build terminated with an error in just a few seconds. If I just use the command "make", the build completes successfully in about 10 minutes.

Reading up on parallel make, I conclude that the Gimp makefile is not up to snuff for doing a parallel make. Naively perhaps, I think that is a shame because I bet a lot of people would save a lot of time if they could do parallel makes. Has anyone looked at doing parallel builds of Gimp?

Regards,
Don
_______________________________________________ Gimp-developer mailing list
Gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer

Don Rozenberg
2007-08-05 06:00:50 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Using Parallel Make

Looking more closely at what is happening, I notice that when I do a

"make -j 3"

the make stops with the following error message:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../libgimpthumb/libgimpthumb-2.0.la', needed by `gimp-thumbnail-list'. Stop.

If I then do a "make", followed by a Control-c in say 5 seconds, followed by a "make -j 3" the build will complete successfully yielding a working program.

This seems to be repeatable. The total build time is approximately halved and both cpu's are pegged most of the time.

Thanks for the suggestion to use "-j 3".

Sven Neumann
2007-08-05 20:13:19 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Using Parallel Make

Hi,

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 16:46 -0700, Don Rozenberg wrote:

I recently acquired a new PC with a dual core chip running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn. So when I last tried to build Gimp, version 2.3.18, I used "make -j" and the build terminated with an error in just a few seconds.

Is there a particular reason that you are building an outdated development release? The problem that you point out has been fixed quite a while ago and 2.3.19 includes this fix.

Sven