RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again? <inthemist@centrum.cz> 03 Aug 09:35
  Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again? damianzalewski 03 Aug 11:56
   Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again? damianzalewski 03 Aug 12:18
  Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again? Alexandre Prokoudine 03 Aug 13:43
  Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again? Andreas Nilsson 03 Aug 16:06
  Time to stick a fork into the GIMP again? Martin Nordholts 03 Aug 18:31
<inthemist@centrum.cz>
2007-08-03 09:35:37 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. It seems that the "restrict users and remove functionality" mindset is prevalent among the current GIMP men of influence. The often harmful HIG rules the day. The useful after-delay for taking screenshot is removed. This is not only just pain in the ass for the power-users, but it sends a message to anyone who would like to hack on the GIMP and bring new, useful, but not simple, features. But this is only the beginning. GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP. I have read their blog and their messages. In horror. They are talking about removing features which are critical to any serious pixel pushing aplication - layer modes. And more. The GIMP is on the slippery slope of the way to become crippleware.

Well, if that is the case, we need a new application. Power-user friendly, not caring about grand-mas and their fear of advanced features. We need an application with interface which is to newbies as much confusing and incomprehensible as the Blender's interface is. But such an interface brings features - and for a power-user willing to learn it is much more usable than the interface crippled down to appeal to newbies.

But there is no point in developing such an application from sratch if we have the GIMP, under GPL, which already went at least half the way to become the great pixel pushing application. Lets fork it. But I want to discuss it first with the developers here, anybody interested to go that way?

Mist

damianzalewski
2007-08-03 11:56:39 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

icc> Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. It seems that the "restrict users and remove functionality" mindset is prevalent among the current GIMP men of influence. The often harmful HIG rules the icc> day. The useful after-delay for taking screenshot is removed. This is not only just pain in the ass for the power-users, but it sends a message to anyone who would like to hack on the GIMP and icc> bring new, useful, but not simple, features. But this is only the beginning. GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP. I have read their blog and their messages. In horror. They are talking icc> about removing features which are critical to any serious pixel pushing aplication - layer modes. And more. The GIMP is on the slippery slope of the way to become crippleware.

icc> Well, if that is the case, we need a new application. Power-user friendly, not caring about grand-mas and their fear of advanced features. We need an application with interface which is to icc> newbies as much confusing and incomprehensible as the Blender's interface is. But such an interface brings features - and for a power-user willing to learn it is much more usable than the icc> interface crippled down to appeal to newbies.

icc> But there is no point in developing such an application from sratch if we have the GIMP, under GPL, which already went at least half the way to become the great pixel pushing application. Lets icc> fork it. But I want to discuss it first with the developers here, anybody interested to go that way?

icc> Mist

I'm afraid that gimp project is too big to easily redesign it. You probably overestimate your capabilities or underestimate others. I've seen a lot of projects started with passion and ended because of lack of programmers or motivation. Cinepaint seems to stuck and look what happened to Gimpshop too.

However there are some positive changes in gimp for example color management, one-window option on windows, new selection tool and others.

In my personal opinion gui should be redesigned to MDI Why ? As a Windows user I'm tired of problems with vanishing windows (one-window option) not to mention that work without one-window option
makes Gimp unusable on windows platform. I have tried Gimp 2.0 and uninstalled it, then 2.2 and the same, 2.4 is the first usable version of Gimp on Windows.

damianzalewski
2007-08-03 12:18:41 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Witam damianzalewski,

Friday, August 3, 2007, 11:56:39 AM, napisa?e/a?:

icc>> Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. It seems that the "restrict users and remove functionality" mindset is prevalent among the current GIMP men of influence. The often harmful HIG rules the icc>> day. The useful after-delay for taking screenshot is removed. This is not only just pain in the ass for the power-users, but it sends a message to anyone who would like to hack on the GIMP and icc>> bring new, useful, but not simple, features. But this is only the beginning. GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP. I have read their blog and their messages. In horror. They are talking icc>> about removing features which are critical to any serious pixel pushing aplication - layer modes. And more. The GIMP is on the slippery slope of the way to become crippleware.

icc>> Well, if that is the case, we need a new application. Power-user friendly, not caring about grand-mas and their fear of advanced features. We need an application with interface which is to icc>> newbies as much confusing and incomprehensible as the Blender's interface is. But such an interface brings features - and for a power-user willing to learn it is much more usable than the icc>> interface crippled down to appeal to newbies.

icc>> But there is no point in developing such an application from sratch if we have the GIMP, under GPL, which already went at least half the way to become the great pixel pushing application. Lets icc>> fork it. But I want to discuss it first with the developers here, anybody interested to go that way?

icc>> Mist

d> I'm afraid that gimp project is too big to easily redesign it. You d> probably overestimate your capabilities or underestimate others. I've d> seen a lot of projects started with passion and ended because d> of lack of programmers or motivation. Cinepaint seems to stuck and look what d> happened to Gimpshop too.

d> However there are some positive changes in gimp d> for example color management, one-window option on windows, d> new selection tool and others.

d> In my personal opinion gui should be redesigned to MDI d> Why ? As a Windows user I'm tired of problems with vanishing d> windows (one-window option) not to mention that work without d> one-window option
d> makes Gimp unusable on windows platform. I have tried Gimp 2.0 and d> uninstalled it, then 2.2 and the same, 2.4 is the first usable version d> of Gimp on Windows.

d>

Alexandre Prokoudine
2007-08-03 13:43:14 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 8/3/07, inthemist wrote:

GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP.

English language is flexible enough to handle cases when one isn't agree with actions of other people without offending them in worst way imaginable.

Shouting at people is the longest way to do positive changes.

NB: I won't discuss this issue any further until you lower you tone and apologize towards GIMP developers (I'm not one of them).

Dixi

Alexandre

Andreas Nilsson
2007-08-03 16:06:36 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

inthemist@centrum.cz wrote:

Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. It seems that the "restrict users and remove functionality" mindset is prevalent among the current GIMP men of influence. The often harmful HIG rules the day. The useful after-delay for taking screenshot is removed. This is not only just pain in the ass for the power-users, but it sends a message to anyone who would like to hack on the GIMP and bring new, useful, but not simple, features. But this is only the beginning. GUI nazis has been hired to work on the GIMP. I have read their blog and their messages. In horror. They are talking about removing features which are critical to any serious pixel pushing aplication - layer modes. And more. The GIMP is on the slippery slope of the way to become crippleware.

Even though you are free disagree on the current direction of the application or not (that actually is a direction for a change), please don't call people nazis.
- Andreas

Martin Nordholts
2007-08-03 18:31:59 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

inthemist@centrum.cz wrote:

Well, I am afraid of the GIMP's future. [...]

Hi Mist

What you describe is completely alien to me.

In my experience, the developers are relatively open minded to changes and improvements. It often only takes a good-quality patch.

Also, I think that the UI work that has been put into GIMP, both research-wise and coding-wise, is definitely in the right direction, and exactly what GIMP needs.

You can of course fork GIMP if you wish, but there is absolutely no point in calling people nazis.

However, instead of forking, I think you should consider to join the GIMP team. Fix some bugs, let us get to know you, hang around in #gimp on irc.gnome.org. That way, your input will have more weight, and you will be able to influence the general direction GIMP is taking.

GIMP is surrounded by a bunch of *very* skilled developers, and I think open source image editing would benefit as a whole much more if you decided to contribute to GIMP, instead of making a fork.

- Martin Nordholts, GIMP developer