RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 58, Issue 51

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.91857.1185950862.16... 07 Oct 20:25
  Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 58, Issue 51 Esteban Barahona 01 Aug 22:32
   Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 58, Issue 51 peter sikking 01 Aug 23:30
    Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 58, Issue 51 Esteban Barahona 02 Aug 03:52
     Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 58, Issue 51 David Gowers 02 Aug 07:15
     Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 58, Issue 51 Sven Neumann 02 Aug 08:42
Esteban Barahona
2007-08-01 22:32:44 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

design.I am studying Computer Science and Product Design, later planning to study and work in Interaction/Interface. I would like to volunteer for the UI design of GIMP.

Were can I upload a mock-up of UI changes?

2007/8/1, gimp-developer-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu < gimp-developer-request@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>:

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:45:05 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] gimp "switchers" To: Robert Carter
Cc: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 14:25 +1200, Robert Carter wrote:

And also possibly (less important) = GTK behaviours of the panels (photoshop has several tools on the same button)
= Fullscreen behaviour (panels remain visible, windowed / grey ground / black ground - toggling)

My main question is: How to do this in a way that will work in harmony with the current customisation options, so people can switch to standard gimp UI if they wish.

Why would you want to do it this way? Just work with us to improve the standard UI. That means a better user experience for all users and much less hassle and maintainance work than making such things optional.

We will not work towards making GIMP more like Photoshop but that doesn't mean that we aren't willing to make drastic changes to the user interface. Perhaps you should discuss your ideas with the team working on the redesign of the GIMP user interface (http://gui.gimp.org). We will appreciate your help when it comes to implementing these changes.

Sven

What's the point of a wiki that cann't be edited (there's no option for creating an account in http://gui.gimp.org)

layer modes: we understand the power, but there is also something horribly

wrong with it; the best a user can do is scroll through the list of modes and see what happens, and that is not being in control of your tool; any workflow that includes a layer mode for rather straightforward goals indicates an interaction problem we have to solve;

Just keep the layer modes. Users don't know exactly what can happen, but they do have an idea (this comes from personal experience). I use layers with just one color and layer modes for special effects. Also, I even have a batch of 3 layer modes used after scanning black and white drawings (sure this can be done using a new "enhance tool" but it is not necessary). The photomanipulations that I make (
http://zensui.deviantart.com/gallery/digitalart/photomanip/) wouldn't be possible without layer modes.

peter sikking
2007-08-01 23:30:31 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Esteban!

we talked on the ixDa list before, remember.

design.I am studying Computer Science and Product Design,

happy to see you took my advice on the latter.

later planning to study and work in Interaction/Interface. I would like to volunteer for the UI design of GIMP.

I am afraid that I do not have positions open at the moment (we also talked about that before).

That is a good one. A drop-box where people could contribute their ideas for GIMP, as long as it is a picture (jpeg, png, gif. no polemic, please).

Sort of a visual brainstorming.

Everybody could see it as a gallery, but again, no comments. My team would sort out the spam and the obnoxious.

A sort of dialog could still ensue between contributors, as long as their pics make is past moderation (what was that with the obnoxious, again?)

In my experience no idea is too wild to trigger a sound UI solution at the end.

What's the point of a wiki that cann't be edited (there's no option for creating an account in http://gui.gimp.org)

the wiki is there for my team to work together and have everything in one place, versioned. And to work out in the open, so people like you can see how these things work. If that wiki was publicly editable, then the opinion of a thousand guys would flush out my teams diagnoses in a week, and we could start working in another wiki.

Just keep the layer modes.

hot topic, no? I want you to remember this:

"everything you can do with layer modes, and even more powerful stuff, can be done in other other ways these days that are 10 times more intuitive"

you will that see one day in GIMP, nut not layer modes.

have you read this already?

this is just about my last mail before my holiday, so further discussion will have wait a couple of weeks.

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Esteban Barahona
2007-08-02 03:52:39 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

2007/8/1, peter sikking :

later planning to study and work in Interaction/Interface. I would like to volunteer for the UI design of GIMP.

I am afraid that I do not have positions open at the moment (we also talked about that before).

I'm new to free software development. I thought that anyone can do volunteer work (not paid, done for fun and the progress of the project). Anyway, the work on the UI looks promising, and there are many ways to contribute.

That is a good one. A drop-box where people could

contribute their ideas for GIMP, as long as it is a picture (jpeg, png, gif. no polemic, please).

Sort of a visual brainstorming.

Everybody could see it as a gallery, but again, no comments. My team would sort out the spam and the obnoxious.

A sort of dialog could still ensue between contributors, as long as their pics make is past moderation (what was that with the obnoxious, again?)

In my experience no idea is too wild to trigger a sound UI solution at the end.

I've some ideas of changes (edit: all of the minor changes are already proposed in http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/labels/GIMP.html) and one of 1 Dimension Menus which is a bit more matured (see attachment... I will propose this in another topic). I have hope that if this new UI element is developed it can make more simple and clean the "single window interface" (reference of your website).

Just keep the layer modes.

hot topic, no? I want you to remember this:

"everything you can do with layer modes, and even more powerful stuff, can be done in other other ways these days that are 10 times more intuitive"

you will that see one day in GIMP, nut not layer modes.

If taking layer modes is suggested then an alternative should be drafted/specified and discussed between users, developers and designers.

have you read this already?

I'm reading it now. This designs if implemented will make GIMP a more professional app.

David Gowers
2007-08-02 07:15:02 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On 8/2/07, Esteban Barahona wrote:

and one of 1 Dimension Menus which is a bit more matured (see attachment...

It looks like either you forgot to attach the file, or the mailing list software filtered it out because it was too big.

Sven Neumann
2007-08-02 08:42:29 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On 8/2/07, Esteban Barahona wrote:

and one of 1 Dimension Menus which is a bit more matured (see attachment...

In general it is considered a bad idea to send attachments to mailing-lists. No matter how small they are. Please upload things to your website or use the public Wiki and post a link.

And please change the subject to something meaningful when you reply to the mailing-list digest.

Sven