RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

prefix issues

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

prefix issues gg@catking.net 27 Feb 12:05
  prefix issues Michael Schumacher 27 Feb 12:25
  prefix issues Sven Neumann 27 Feb 22:04
   prefix issues gg@catking.net 27 Feb 22:13
    prefix issues Michael Natterer 27 Feb 23:16
     prefix issues Marco Ciampa 27 Feb 23:44
      prefix issues Michael Natterer 28 Feb 00:38
      prefix issues Sven Neumann 28 Feb 06:50
gg@catking.net
2007-02-27 12:05:49 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble getting a clean install from snv.

I specified --prefix=/opt/gimp

make[2]: Entering directory `/svn/gimp/libgimpconfig' test -z "/opt/gimp/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/lib" /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'libgimpconfig-2.0.la' '/opt/gimp/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.la' libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a directory not ending in /opt/lib
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1

I did a previous build with --prefix=/opt which was not what I required. It seems that make uninstall; make clean; is not sufficient to clean up the installation.

I also went through and manually deleted anything that seemed to relate to gimp then reran make install.

It seems that the make scripts are incompleter somehow and are not cleaning up properly.

gg

Michael Schumacher
2007-02-27 12:25:54 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

Von: gg@catking.net

It seems that the make scripts are incompleter somehow and are not cleaning up properly.

There are other clean-targets. For example, maintainer-clean.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2007-02-27 22:04:54 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 12:05 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

make[2]: Entering directory `/svn/gimp/libgimpconfig' test -z "/opt/gimp/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/opt/gimp/lib" /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c 'libgimpconfig-2.0.la' '/opt/gimp/lib/libgimpconfig-2.0.la' libtool: install: error: cannot install `libgimpconfig-2.0.la' to a directory not ending in /opt/lib

I did a previous build with --prefix=/opt which was not what I required.

You need to 'make maintainer-clean' after changing the prefix.

Sven

gg@catking.net
2007-02-27 22:13:50 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:04:54 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 12:05 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

I did a previous build with --prefix=/opt which was not what I required.

You need to 'make maintainer-clean' after changing the prefix.

Sven

Thanks for your explaination. This is what I gathered from Alexandre's post but I got a msg saying that target did not exist :?

bash-3.2#make maintainer-clean make: *** No rule to make target `maintainer-clean'. Stop.

I have resolved the immediate problem by deleting everything in sight including the source and starting over again.

When I can spare the computer next I will try 'make maintainer-clean' again, now it is all installed.

I'd prefer to do this cleanly rather than having to resort to shotgun deletions.

Thanks again.
gg

Michael Natterer
2007-02-27 23:16:43 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 22:13 +0100, gg@catking.net wrote:

Thanks for your explaination. This is what I gathered from Alexandre's post but I got a msg saying that target did not exist :?

you don't have "make maintainer-clean" because at some point after you said ./autogen.sh, you did ./configure without passing --enable-maintainer-mode. autogen.sh passes that automatically for you.

ciao,
--mitch

Marco Ciampa
2007-02-27 23:44:55 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:16:43PM +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:

you don't have "make maintainer-clean" because at some point after you said ./autogen.sh, you did ./configure without passing --enable-maintainer-mode. autogen.sh passes that automatically for you.

Newbie questions:

- are there any other mantainer options to know of? - are those options generated automatically by normal automake/autoconf nowadays gnu programs or are those a gimp only convention? - documentation links?

TIA

Michael Natterer
2007-02-28 00:38:40 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 23:44 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:16:43PM +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:

Newbie questions:

- are there any other mantainer options to know of? - are those options generated automatically by normal automake/autoconf nowadays gnu programs or are those a gimp only convention? - documentation links?

less autogen.sh

ciao,
--mitch

Sven Neumann
2007-02-28 06:50:45 UTC (about 17 years ago)

prefix issues

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 23:44 +0100, Marco Ciampa wrote:

- are those options generated automatically by normal automake/autoconf nowadays gnu programs or are those a gimp only convention?

These are standard and they are documented in the automake and autoconf manuals.

Sven