RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

default setup for 2.4 comments (Rapha?l Quinet)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.3.1165521604.3274.g... 07 Oct 20:24
  default setup for 2.4 comments (Rapha?l Quinet) Martin Nordholts 08 Dec 07:37
Martin Nordholts
2006-12-08 07:37:55 UTC (over 17 years ago)

default setup for 2.4 comments (Rapha?l Quinet)

3. Change the default image size (any particular reason it is 377x233?) I'd suggest 1024x768

I'd suggest VGA (640x480) or even less, so that it fits on a 1024x768 screen. Web statistics from July 2006 show that only 19% of the users have screens larger than 1024x768. While I expect this percentage to be higher among GIMP users (maybe close to 40% or 50%?), we should still make sure that the default settings work fine on a typical laptop screen (widescreen laptops are not so common yet even if they represent the majority of the new sales in many countries).

I agree here, 1024x768 is way too large for default.

6. A wider selection of basic brushes would be good, especially with the #5.

Agreed. Any proposals?

I think there should at least be a set of much larger brushes, both solid and soft, something like 30, 50, 100, 200, 300

9. I'd turn on "Save Tool options on exit" by default. We have a "reset to default" in the dialogs if someone wants to reset the tools.

Hmmm... I'm not sure about that one. I easily forget that I had lowered the brush opacity in my previous gimp session and sometimes it takes me a while to see that something is wrong. I prefer to start in a predictable state. Of course I can turn off the auto-save feature. But I am not sure about what the default should be...

I think is should be turned on by default. The reason is that it is much less work to reset the tool options than to re-configure them as they were. If a user does a lot of changes to the tool options, it is easier to fix "Ah crap, it saved my tool options, I want them reseted." than "Ah crap, all my precious tool options adjustments didn't get saved!".

- Martin N.

(Is there a way to reply to a daily digest while still keeping the threading?)