RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fwd: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

23f4e3390612052038m4aff8d58... 07 Oct 20:24
  Fwd: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use? David Gowers 06 Dec 05:39
   Fwd: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use? Sven Neumann 06 Dec 19:59
    Fwd: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use? peter sikking 07 Dec 00:10
     Fwd: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use? Chris Mohler 07 Dec 00:39
1165353092.5524.76.camel@be... 07 Oct 20:24
David Gowers
2006-12-06 05:39:56 UTC (over 17 years ago)

(forwarding this accidentally mistargeted mail)

---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: David Gowers
Date: Dec 6, 2006 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Color selectors, which one do you use? To: Sven Neumann

On 12/6/06, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

time for another little poll. GIMP has an interface for pluggable color selector modules. Over the time we have collected quite a few of them. In the 2.3 tree we have the following modules and builtin color selectors:

Default color selector CMYK color selector
Painter-style triangle color selector Watercolor style color selector
Palette color selector

This is IMO too much choice for most users and I think it would help if we would disable some of them. Expert users would still be able to reenable them in the Module Manager. Perhaps we could even have a menu somewhere in the Colors tab that allows to enable/disable color selectors.

Now the question is, which color selectors do you actually use? I have myself never found the Watercolor selector to be useful. But your mileage might vary. Tell me about it.

Sven

I agree. The watercolor selector is less intuitive to me than the other selectors. Except CMYK.
CMYK I find most unintuitive.
Slides is nice but the slowest. Triangle is pretty effective, slightly slow - I'd like to see it make standard hue offsetting (90, 120, 180 degrees) easier.
The default selector is both fast and intuitive; its only downfall is that it doesn't present the HSV/RGB numbers. The palette selector is fast, and it's useful for transferring colors between palettes, in conjunction with the 'Edit active palette' option.

If I had to pick 3, I would choose default, palette, and slides. I use slides the most, and appreciate the way the palette color selector allows you to view and select from the current palette without the need for an additional tab or dockable.

Sven Neumann
2006-12-06 19:59:09 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 15:09 +1030, David Gowers wrote:

(forwarding this accidentally mistargeted mail)

I think you meant to send it to the gimp-user list though...

The purpose of the CMYK selector is not to allow intuitive color selection. It's meant for the case where you have to use a color that is specified in CMYK. Given that you are using the correct color profile, you should be able to get the matching RGB color by using the CMYK selector.

Sven

peter sikking
2006-12-07 00:10:10 UTC (over 17 years ago)

The purpose of the CMYK selector is not to allow intuitive color selection.

Actually, during the user observations we found out that print-oriented professionals have learned to thing in CYMK.

So we need this mode for them.

--ps

principal user interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Chris Mohler
2006-12-07 00:39:22 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Actually, during the user observations we found out that print-oriented professionals have learned to thing in CYMK.

How I wish I could remove that part of my brain that translates RGB to CMYK.....

Back on topic - I use the default picker. I would use the triangle were it snappier. The CMYK sliders are a must - but they could be added to the 'scales' color picker in order to consolidate. I don't have any use for the watercolor picker, but I can see why some folks would like it. The palette picker doesn't seem useful unless you can edit/load/save the palette(s).

Chris