RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

core plugin concept

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

core plugin concept Olivier Ravard 08 Jun 17:26
  core plugin concept Nathan Summers 09 Jun 23:01
Olivier Ravard
2006-06-08 17:26:48 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

core plugin concept

Hi,

I have a question for core developers about plugins :

How are the images and other parameters passed to (C++) plugins ? via network or via the file system ? Is there any documentation about the gimp plugins concept (I don't want documentation on "how to build a plugin for gimp") ?

Thanks.

Olivier

Nathan Summers
2006-06-09 23:01:19 UTC (almost 18 years ago)

core plugin concept

On 6/8/06, Olivier Ravard wrote:

Hi,

I have a question for core developers about plugins :

How are the images and other parameters passed to (C++) plugins ? via network or via the file system ?

Gimp plugins communicate with the gimp process through pipes. Image data is shared between the plugin and the gimp process using shared memory if available, otherwise it is sent through the pipe.

Is there any documentation about the gimp plugins concept (I don't want documentation on "how to build a plugin for gimp") ?

IIRC, the original (pre-gimp.org) website maintained by S & P had a bit on how they work. You might be able to find an archived version of that site somewhere. http://developer.gimp.org has the gtkdoc for the applicable classes. But really the best way to understand it is to look at the code itself. It's not that difficult of a read. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall that the names of the files most involved are gimpplugin.c, gimpprotocol.c and gimpwire.c.

Rockwalrus