RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Libgimp newbie development path

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Libgimp newbie development path s s 17 Oct 02:21
Libgimp newbie development path David Neary 17 Oct 22:16
s s
2005-10-17 02:21:04 UTC (over 18 years ago)

I'm hoping to develop an application that leverages the Gimp's functionality, but uses its own GUI and some other libraries. My ideal situation would be this:

- The user opens my application and the only reference to the Gimp that can be directly seen by them are Gimp licensing requirements, while my application would be using the Gimp behind the scenes for basic image manipulation handling.

My current idea is to develop a plugin for the Gimp which uses my GUI(not using GTK). I'm basing this off of the Gimp pluggin development samples and tutorials available. However, is this the correct path I should be taking? Will I be able to start the pluggin from my app without having the user manually open it from the Gimp? Finally, is there a better way to use libgimp so that I can just use Gimp functionality from my application without having to startup the full Gimp application and use a pluggin?

David Neary
2005-10-17 22:16:26 UTC (over 18 years ago)

Hi,

s s said:

I'm hoping to develop an application that leverages the Gimp's functionality, but uses its own GUI and some other libraries. My ideal situation would be this:

- The user opens my application and the only reference to the Gimp that can be directly seen by them are Gimp licensing requirements, while my application would be using the Gimp behind the scenes for basic image manipulation handling.

You might want to look at Seashore, a Mac application which uses some of the GIMP internals (notably the file format & image structure). That might give you some ideas.

My current idea is to develop a plugin for the Gimp which uses my GUI(not using GTK). I'm basing this off of the Gimp pluggin development samples and tutorials available. However, is this the correct path I should be taking? Will I be able to start the pluggin from my app without having the user manually open it from the Gimp?

No - plug-ins are standalone apps that communicate with an already running GIMP.

Finally, is there a better way to use libgimp so that I can just use Gimp functionality from my application without having to startup the full Gimp application and use a pluggin?

Afraid not - short of cutting & pasting code (which is possible). Lots of libgimp has no GTK+ dependency - adding a different GUI should be doable, but hard.

Cheers,
Dave.