RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Using Gimp's functionality

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Using Gimp's functionality Pavel Grinfeld 02 Jul 03:35
  Using Gimp's functionality Nathan Summers 02 Jul 06:56
Pavel Grinfeld
2005-07-02 03:35:14 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

Hi,

If I would like to use the gimp functionality in a separate application, what do I need to link? I assume libgimpbase etc, but is there a complete list?

Basically, suppose that I want to create an image programatically, do something gimpy with it, and save it to hard disk. I want to be able to distribute this program and not expect that the user has gtk and gimp installed.

Very many thanks in advance,

Pavel

Nathan Summers
2005-07-02 06:56:04 UTC (almost 19 years ago)

On 7/1/05, Pavel Grinfeld wrote:

If I would like to use the gimp functionality in a separate application, what do I need to link? I assume libgimpbase etc, but is there a complete list?

Here's a list of all the libraries in 2.3.2: libgimp
libgimpbase
libgimpcolor
libgimpconfig
libgimpmath
libgimpmodule
libgimpthumb
libgimpwidgets

Basically, suppose that I want to create an image programatically, do something gimpy with it, and save it to hard disk. I want to be able to distribute this program and not expect that the user has gtk and gimp installed.

Unfortunately, this is currently not feasable without considerable butcher work on your part. Gimp's libraries are mostly intended to be used to share code needed by both plug-ins and the core. While much of what is in libraries other than libgimp and libgimpmodule can be useful for other programs as well, it sounds like they probably don't have what you are interested in.

Being able to use gimp routines in other programs without having to invoke a separate gimp process is interesting to me personally, and probably to other gimp developers as well. I have no doubt that the best way to achieve this is to focus on the GEGL backend library that gimp developers are presently working on; if you are interested, your help in completing GEGL is much appreciated.

As a more short-term option, you might consider looking into gimp-console, the UI-free version of gimp suitable for servers. Gimp-console itself does not depend on gtk at all, although if you wish to use any gimp plugins with it, you probably will need gtk anyway.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help, but think of this as an opportunity to help us improve gimp!

Rockwalrus