RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

cvs gimp depends on jade?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

25 of 25 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 05:21
  cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 06:30
   cvs gimp depends on jade? Raphaël Quinet 21 Dec 10:43
    cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 12:07
     cvs gimp depends on jade? Raphaël Quinet 21 Dec 18:24
      cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 19:25
       cvs gimp depends on jade? Raphaël Quinet 22 Dec 10:30
        cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 22 Dec 12:06
   cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 12:11
  cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 12:09
   cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 19:02
    cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 19:34
     cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 20:01
      cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 20:58
       cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 21:11
        cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 21:31
         cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 22:16
          cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 22 Dec 00:02
           cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 22 Dec 01:32
            cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 22 Dec 01:46
         cvs gimp depends on jade? David Neary 22 Dec 08:45
     cvs gimp depends on jade? Carol Spears 21 Dec 20:27
cvs gimp depends on jade? Michael Schumacher 21 Dec 16:05
  cvs gimp depends on jade? Sven Neumann 21 Dec 17:48
   cvs gimp depends on jade? Michael Schumacher 21 Dec 19:44
Carol Spears
2004-12-21 05:21:34 UTC (over 19 years ago)

i am attempting to build gimp from cvs. updating and typing "make" failed with the following error message:

./configure: line 33395: syntax error near unexpected token `1.0' ./configure: line 33395: `GTK_DOC_CHECK(1.0)' make: *** [config.status] Error 2

the next step for me (usually) is to reconfigure. i always send it a few extra parameters, so i "./autogen.sh --help". this failed with this message:

checking for gtkdocize ... You must have gtk-doc installed to compile The GIMP. Install the appropriate package for your distribution, or get the source tarball at
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gtk-doc/

so i went to the mentioned web site and snarfed the tarball. to my dismay, this is what i read about the new dependencies:

Requirements ============

Perl v5 - the main scripts are in Perl. http://www.perl.com/

DocBook SGML DTD v3.0 or DocBook XML DTD v4.1.2 - the DocBook DTDs. http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Jade v1.1 or OpenJade 1.3.1 for SGML. http://www.jclark.com/jade
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openjade

libxslt & libxml2 2.3.6 for XML. http://xmlsoft.org/

DocBook DSSSL Stylesheets (I've got 1.40, but v1.19+ may be OK)

DocBook XSL Stylesheets

is it a real fact that i need jade to build gimp or perhaps i am doing something wrong?

is it only specific to cvs builds and if so is it a temporary thing?

does it make sense that i need jade to work on images with a piece of free software that is not as free as jade or open jade?

i would like to build gimp without this additional (and un-needed by me) software.

carol

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 06:30:18 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:21:34PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

does it make sense that i need jade to work on images with a piece of free software that is not as free as jade or open jade?

this was a mistyped thought. it should be:

does it make sense that gimp, which is free and open depend on a rather large piece of software that is only open and not free?

sorry for the mistake, carol

Raphaël Quinet
2004-12-21 10:43:43 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:30:18 -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 08:21:34PM -0800, Carol Spears wrote:

this was a mistyped thought. it should be:

does it make sense that gimp, which is free and open depend on a rather large piece of software that is only open and not free?

I had the same problem this weekend: my CVS builds for Solaris and for some older Linux systems broke due to the new test for gtkdocize in autogen.sh and in the configure script. Until last week, it was sufficient for me to build the API docs on an up-to-date Linux system (Debian testing) and then skip that step for my CVS builds for Solaris and older Linux versions (Debian stable, SuSE 8.2). This allowed me to test the CVS builds without having to install all gtk-doc dependencies on the older systems for which I have to build and install all new packages from source.

I think that it would be better to have an option in autogen.sh and configure.in that allows the CVS users to skip the API doc generation. This would make it easier to test the latest version on multiple platforms without having to wait for a GIMP tarball or to install all gtk-doc dependencies.

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 12:07:55 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I think that it would be better to have an option in autogen.sh and configure.in that allows the CVS users to skip the API doc generation. This would make it easier to test the latest version on multiple platforms without having to wait for a GIMP tarball or to install all gtk-doc dependencies.

configure.in depends on gtkdocize being present and it uses macros that are defined in gtkdoc.m4 so there is no way to make this optional.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 12:09:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

i would like to build gimp without this additional (and un-needed by me) software.

Use a tarball then. If you are building GIMP from CVS you are a hacker and you need the tools that are required to build GIMP including the developer documentation.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 12:11:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

The real point here is that, afaik, gtkdoc doesn't actually depend on Jade any longer. For quite a while the docs are generated from XML using xsltproc so it should very well be possible to install gtkdoc w/o having Jade installed. If this bothers you, perhaps ask the gtkdoc developers to update their dependencies and make the old and rarely used SGML mode optional?

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-21 16:05:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

The real point here is that, afaik, gtkdoc doesn't actually depend on Jade any longer. For quite a while the docs are generated from XML using xsltproc so it should very well be possible to install gtkdoc w/o having Jade installed. If this bothers you, perhaps ask the gtkdoc developers to update their dependencies and make the old and rarely used SGML mode optional?

It is possible - I built gtkdoc on Win32 without having Jade installed.

HTH, Michael

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 17:48:36 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

"Michael Schumacher" writes:

How did you trick the configure script into believing that jade was available? I had a quick look and it seems to check for openjade or jade and bails out if it can't find any of those. It would however probably be sufficient to provide it some arbitrary executable that's named openjade.

Sven

Raphaël Quinet
2004-12-21 18:24:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:07:55 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

configure.in depends on gtkdocize being present and it uses macros that are defined in gtkdoc.m4 so there is no way to make this optional.

Would you accept a patch that could make it optional? I haven't tried this yet, but it should be possible to modify autogen.sh in such a way that (when given the appropriate option) it would supply a substitute for gtkdoc.m4 so that the configure script could be generated from configure.in without requiring every build machine to have a working gtkdoc. This would be a bit similar to the way the configure script itself uses the "missing" script when some commands are not installed on the build machine.

In another message, you wrote:

Use a tarball then. If you are building GIMP from CVS you are a hacker and you need the tools that are required to build GIMP including the developer documentation.

If you build the GIMP on multiple platforms, you only need the developer documentation once.

I have one machine (based on Debian testing) that can build the docs. I am happy with that and I would like to avoid having to set up gtkdoc on the other ones, especially on the old Solaris boxes that don't have any of the packages that gtkdoc depends on. Yet I would like to use the CVS version on these machines so that I can test (and maybe improve) the latest code without having to wait for a tarball. Also, with a tarball it is difficult to do "cvs diff" or "cvs log" while trying to track down how a bug could have appeared in a section of the code.

-Raphaël

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 19:02:52 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 12:09:29PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

how did all the hackers work on gimp last week without jade then?

whoever was being Sven on the irc steered me away from this docbook crap a long time ago.

it was good advice and *that* human had so much of my respect.

that human also had me use cvs gimp.

are there hackers who can hack without *needing* open and not free software?

how did you make this software last week without it?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 19:25:01 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

Would you accept a patch that could make it optional?

Well, if it really bothers you. But you need gtkdoc anyway if you want to build any other library using it and there are lots of them (including glib and gtk+).

I haven't tried this yet, but it should be possible to modify autogen.sh in such a way that (when given the appropriate option) it would supply a substitute for gtkdoc.m4 so that the configure script could be generated from configure.in without requiring every build machine to have a working gtkdoc. This would be a bit similar to the way the configure script itself uses the "missing" script when some commands are not installed on the build machine.

No, I wouldn't accept such an ugly hack. If at all you'd modify acinclude.m4.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 19:34:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

Things change and the switch to gtkdocize was long overdue. I don't see why we should not benefit from the work of the gtkdoc team who have been improving the build setup quite a bit lately. We waited with this much too long. Of course I could continue to merge these changes manually into the eight Makefiles that are involved in building the docs. But then I don't see why I should go through that error-prone and time-consuming process again and again if there's also simple solution that fixes it once and for all. It also doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the many other projects using gtkdocize.

Sven

Michael Schumacher
2004-12-21 19:44:19 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Michael Schumacher" writes:

How did you trick the configure script into believing that jade was available? I had a quick look and it seems to check for openjade or jade and bails out if it can't find any of those. It would however probably be sufficient to provide it some arbitrary executable that's named openjade.

Looks like a false negative - there is an openjade.exe on my system, and it doesn't seem to be a dummy.

Michael

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 20:01:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 07:34:49PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

Things change and the switch to gtkdocize was long overdue. I don't see why we should not benefit from the work of the gtkdoc team who have been improving the build setup quite a bit lately. We waited with this much too long. Of course I could continue to merge these changes manually into the eight Makefiles that are involved in building the docs. But then I don't see why I should go through that error-prone and time-consuming process again and again if there's also simple solution that fixes it once and for all. It also doesn't seem to be a problem for any of the many other projects using gtkdocize.

you need jade to hack properly on gimp? sgml. you need sgml to hack on gimp.

i am sorry. i dont get it. perhaps if you explain the need for sgml to build cvs gimp.

there are other reasons to build gimp from cvs. these reasons are both obvious and yes, cumbersome also to go through here.

gimp seemed to be easy and fun to work on and is in fairly good shape without this software all the years up until now. what could have possibly changed that now we all need to have the software that generates sgml before we can run a cvs version of a image manipulation application. it should not be cumbersome to explain how sgml helps this.

thanks,
carol

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 20:27:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 07:34:49PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

there should be no reason that you edit eight makefiles.

perhaps if you tried a different approach to the explanation.

what do you use sgml for and how does it help you hack on gimp?

you never used to do things because other projects did it, i do not consider this a good explanation at all.

sgml improves hacking by _______.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 20:58:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

i am sorry. i dont get it. perhaps if you explain the need for sgml to build cvs gimp.

See, I already explained that SGML is not needed, nor is Jade.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 21:11:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 08:58:22PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

See, I already explained that SGML is not needed, nor is Jade.

let me quote an email reply that you sent to michael and this list:

" How did you trick the configure script into believing that jade was available? I had a quick look and it seems to check for openjade or jade and bails out if it can't find any of those. It would however probably be sufficient to provide it some arbitrary executable that's named openjade.
"
are you being technical about the use of the name "openjade" over "jade"?

is this useful?

jade and openjade handle sgml files?

hackers need jade or openjade to build gimp and the reason for this is _________?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-12-21 21:31:06 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

one last try to explain it to you. GIMP doesn't need Jade. It needs gtkdoc to build the developer documentation. gtkdoc can work in two modes, the old-fashioned way of using it involves processing SGML and thus needs jade or, preferably, openjade. The newer way of building these docs uses DocBook XML which is processed using xsltproc (on which we depend anyway). Since gtkdoc allows both SGML and XML, the gtkdoc package depends on jade. It would probably be a good idea to make jade optional for the build of gtkdoc so that people like you, who are for whatever reason not able to get it installed, can still build and install a version of gtkdoc that would work with GIMP.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-12-21 22:16:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:31:06PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

one last try to explain it to you. GIMP doesn't need Jade. It needs gtkdoc to build the developer documentation. gtkdoc can work in two modes, the old-fashioned way of using it involves processing SGML and thus needs jade or, preferably, openjade. The newer way of building these docs uses DocBook XML which is processed using xsltproc (on which we depend anyway). Since gtkdoc allows both SGML and XML, the gtkdoc package depends on jade. It would probably be a good idea to make jade optional for the build of gtkdoc so that people like you, who are for whatever reason not able to get it installed, can still build and install a version of gtkdoc that would work with GIMP.

i think that the mail list is not as fast as the exchange it is managing here.

also, this well written explanation made me think of the mail i originally sent about this issue. i am going to quote that here:

" i am attempting to build gimp from cvs. updating and typing "make" failed with the following error message:

./configure: line 33395: syntax error near unexpected token `1.0' ./configure: line 33395: `GTK_DOC_CHECK(1.0)' make: *** [config.status] Error 2

the next step for me (usually) is to reconfigure. i always send it a few extra parameters, so i "./autogen.sh --help". this failed with this message:

checking for gtkdocize ... You must have gtk-doc installed to compile The GIMP. Install the appropriate package for your distribution, or get the source tarball at
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gtk-doc/

so i went to the mentioned web site and snarfed the tarball. to my dismay, this is what i read about the new dependencies:

Requirements ============

Perl v5 - the main scripts are in Perl. http://www.perl.com/

DocBook SGML DTD v3.0 or DocBook XML DTD v4.1.2 - the DocBook DTDs. http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Jade v1.1 or OpenJade 1.3.1 for SGML. http://www.jclark.com/jade
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openjade

libxslt & libxml2 2.3.6 for XML. http://xmlsoft.org/

DocBook DSSSL Stylesheets (I've got 1.40, but v1.19+ may be OK)

DocBook XSL Stylesheets "

what you said in this email really sounds great, however i tend to trust these README files and try to read them before i ask questions.

perhaps you can tell me where i went wrong? i read the error messages, attempted to reconfigure and read those error messages. following what those error messages told me i went to the listed web site, got the tarball that was mentioned and in the readme it says that this stuff is dependent on Jade or OpenJade.

if what you say is true, i messed up somewhere in solving this issue and building gimp successfully.

perhaps you can help me by telling me where my information is incorrect.

thank you for the time you spend today with this and i am sorry for the email lag.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-12-22 00:02:41 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

I think you are reading the mails faster than you are able to understand them. Perhaps you should reread my mails since I am not going to explain this again.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-12-22 01:32:10 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 12:02:41AM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

I think you are reading the mails faster than you are able to understand them. Perhaps you should reread my mails since I am not going to explain this again.

i can read that you contradict what you yourself wrote and the software in questions' README.

i can read that because i am typing politely and respectfully i am being rudely "sent back" or something.

you say jade and openjade are not required yet the README for the required software says differently.

what is the point of reading the documentation? other software applications lie in the README?

since we now do as other software applications do, do we also start to tell untruths (like that jade or openjade are required for gtk-docs) in the gimp documentation?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-12-22 01:46:39 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

i can read that you contradict what you yourself wrote and the software in questions' README.

No, it doesn't. I said that gtkdoc depends on Jade but only for some mode of operation that we don't use and need. I also suggested that you politely ask the gtkdoc maintainers to make this mode optional so that gtkdoc can be installed w/o Jade.

I also wonder why you don't just 'apt-get install gtk-doc-tools".

Sven

David Neary
2004-12-22 08:45:49 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

It would probably be a good idea to make jade optional for the build of gtkdoc so that people like you, who are for whatever reason not able to get it installed, can still build and install a version of gtkdoc that would work with GIMP.

One small addition... since gtkdoc only requires jade at build-time, and a binary installation of it works fine without jade when only using xml mode, the alternative is to not build gtkdoc from source at all, and install a binary.

Cheers, Dave.

Raphaël Quinet
2004-12-22 10:30:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:25:01 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

Would you accept a patch that could make it optional?

Well, if it really bothers you. But you need gtkdoc anyway if you want to build any other library using it and there are lots of them (including glib and gtk+).

I haven't tried the new gtk+ 2.6 yet, but IIRC gtk+ 2.4 could be installed from tarballs without gtkdoc. On most of the "old" systems on which I install CVS GIMP for testing, I build gtk+ and its dependencies from the released tarballs because I only want to test the GIMP itself and I do not need to have the development version of the various libraries. I only try gtk+ from CVS on my development machine.

I haven't tried this yet, but it should be possible to modify autogen.sh in such a way that [...]

OK, I will try to do it in a clean way. I will submit a proposed patch to Bugzilla as soon as I have some time to look at this (probably during this weekend, after X-mas). Then you can review it and tell me if I can commit it.

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2004-12-22 12:06:22 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I haven't tried the new gtk+ 2.6 yet, but IIRC gtk+ 2.4 could be installed from tarballs without gtkdoc.

You can also install GIMP from tarball w/o gtkdoc.

OK, I will try to do it in a clean way. I will submit a proposed patch to Bugzilla as soon as I have some time to look at this (probably during this weekend, after X-mas). Then you can review it and tell me if I can commit it.

Fine.

Sven