RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

directory organisation [was Re: [Gimp-user] Installing plug-ins (fwd)]

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

directory organisation [was Re: [Gimp-user] Installing plug-ins (fwd)] Alan Horkan 28 Oct 18:13
Alan Horkan
2004-10-28 18:13:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

directory organisation [was Re: [Gimp-user] Installing plug-ins (fwd)]

One thing I have always admired about the gimp is the logical organisation of its files on disk.
Unlike most other programs the gimp developers had the foresight to create a sensible directory structure
/usr/share/gimp
/usr/share/gimp/2.0
/usr/share/gimp/2.2

whereas most applications are less sensibly organised and create files like
/usr/share/appname
/usr/share/appname2
/usr/share/appname3

The message below from the user list reminded me and I was wondering Would it be possible to continue this elegent and logical organistion sense to the same for files in the user home directory and in future have something like this?
~/.gimp/2.2
~/.gimp/3.0

(I'll file a bug report and try and make a patch if this idea is deemed acceptable)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 15:14:22 +0200 From: Sven Neumann
To: Carol Spears
Cc: GIMPUser
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Installing plug-ins

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

actually, i was wrong. the cvs version of gimp is now installing things into ~/.gimp-2.0/ i guess until the plug-ins catch up with the version numbers.

GIMP 2.2 will be using the ~/.gimp-2.2 directory.

Sven