RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

what's required to develop GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

what's required to develop GIMP Chamal De Silva 07 Jul 18:41
  what's required to develop GIMP Raphaël Quinet 07 Jul 19:04
  what's required to develop GIMP Shlomi Fish 07 Jul 19:19
  what's required to develop GIMP Dave Neary 08 Jul 08:54
Chamal De Silva
2004-07-07 18:41:48 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

I am completly new to GIMP development. And I would like to be a gimp developer.
Please give me information on the following quetion.

1. What is the programming language used to develop gimp. 2. What are the tools and compilers that i need to compile gimpe source code. 3. What is the latest version of GIMPs source code.

Thanks a lot, Chamal.

Raphaël Quinet
2004-07-07 19:04:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:41:48 -0700, Chamal De Silva wrote:

I am completly new to GIMP development. And I would like to be a gimp developer.
Please give me information on the following quetion.

1. What is the programming language used to develop gimp.

Most of it is written in C, some parts of the build system use a bit of Perl. A quick look at the source code would have allowed you to answer your own question easily. In addition to the gimp core written in C, you can also have the various scripting extensions written in Scheme (Script-Fu or the newer Tiny-Fu), Perl and Python.

2. What are the tools and compilers that i need to compile gimpe source code.

Please have a look at:
http://www.gimp.org/source/ (stable version) http://developer.gimp.org/ (development version) That will give you all the necessary information. In addition, once you have a look at the source code, please read the README and INSTALL files. If you get the code from CVS, you can also have a look at the HACKING file.

3. What is the latest version of GIMPs source code.

The latest version of the source code is in CVS. If you want tarballs, then the latest stable version is 2.0.2 and the latest unstable version is 2.1.1, available from ftp.gimp.org and its mirrors. This information is also available from the web sites listed above. Please have a look at them.

-Raphaël

Shlomi Fish
2004-07-07 19:19:16 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Dave Neary
2004-07-08 08:54:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi Chamal,

Quoting Chamal De Silva :

1. What is the programming language used to develop gimp.

The GIMP is almost entirely coded in C. There are plug-ins in python, perl and scheme too, and there are some hardware specific routines in assembler, designed to speed up rendering on certain common platforms.

2. What are the tools and compilers that i need to compile gimpe source code.

Any C compiler should do. You will also need automake, autoconf, cvs, intltool, gettext and some other tools if you wouyld like to build from CVS. The details are in the files HACKING and INSTALL.

You will also need a working installation of GTK+ 2.4.x (for the HEAD or development releases), and Xft, fontconfig and friends. And helper libraries for all the file formats you would like to see compiled in (there is a longish list, again this is in INSTALL.

3. What is the latest version of GIMPs source code.

This is always HEAD in CVS. However, the latest released source code is version 2.1.1. The latest stable version is 2.0.2.

Cheers, Dave.