RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

volunteer needed for preferences dialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

volunteer needed for preferences dialog Sven Neumann 05 Jun 02:54
  volunteer needed for preferences dialog Henrik Brix Andersen 07 Jun 11:22
Sven Neumann
2004-06-05 02:54:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

IMO it's about time to try to clean up the preferences dialog once more. Here are a couple of ideas on how the dialog could be improved:

- I'd like to see the "Interface" group be removed. That would flatten the hierarchy which is kind of arbitrary at the moment.

- The theme chooser should be moved to a separate page, the Interface page is rather crowded.

- Input device configuration should either be redone or moved to another page. Having it on a page of it's own doesn't make too much sense.

- The items on the session management page could IMO be moved to other pages.

- Perhaps we should show the dialog with the Folders section collapsed. That would make the dialog smaller and less frightening.

- We could IMHO remove a couple of options. They could stay to be configurable via gimprc but we don't necessarily need a GUI for all of these. Possible candidates for removal are IMO:

- undo-preview-size - info-window-per-display
- tearoff-menus
- last-opened-size
- use-help
- perfect-mouse
- cursor-updating
- min-colors
- install-colormap
- stingy-memory-use
- trust-dirty-flag
- restore-session
- restore-accels

These changes are all rather easy to do so this is a nice job for a fresh contributor who isn't afraid to learn some gtk+ and gimp basics. Please do also not understand the above as a list of instructions. This is just how I would address the problem. If you pick up the job then it's up to you to decide how it is done in detail.

Sven

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-06-07 11:22:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 02:54, Sven Neumann wrote:

IMO it's about time to try to clean up the preferences dialog once more. Here are a couple of ideas on how the dialog could be improved:

[snip good ideas]

This is what we've talked about earlier - and I agree; the prefs dialog needs a makeover.

These changes are all rather easy to do so this is a nice job for a fresh contributor who isn't afraid to learn some gtk+ and gimp basics. Please do also not understand the above as a list of instructions. This is just how I would address the problem. If you pick up the job then it's up to you to decide how it is done in detail.

If no-one else steps forward I would like to do this after I've handed in my semester project Friday 2004-06-11.

If anyone else has the time to do this earlier please don't hesitate to do so.

Regards,
Brix