RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Plug-in howto

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Plug-in howto Bartekk 03 May 02:18
  Plug-in howto Dave Neary 03 May 10:19
   Plug-in howto Sven Neumann 03 May 12:48
    Plug-in howto Dave Neary 03 May 13:13
     Plug-in howto Sven Neumann 03 May 13:22
      Plug-in howto Dave Neary 03 May 13:41
      Plug-in howto Nathan Carl Summers 03 May 22:43
       Plug-in howto David Neary 03 May 22:55
  Plug-in howto Sven Neumann 03 May 12:47
   Plug-in howto Bartekk 04 May 16:26
Bartekk
2004-05-03 02:18:59 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi,

i have a question about the development of plug-in. I want to use the plugin template u can get from the gimp site. The problem is I don't know which files are important. If I want to write a simple Gaussian Filter, how can I do that.

Is there somebody who can give me an how to or an example.

Thanks a lot.

bartekk

Dave Neary
2004-05-03 10:19:23 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi Bartekk,

Bartekk wrote:

i have a question about the development of plug-in. I want to use the plugin template u can get from the gimp site. The problem is I don't know which files are important. If I want to write a simple Gaussian Filter, how can I do that.

Is there somebody who can give me an how to or an example.

This document is still somewhat valid, although the API has changed a lot since then, the principles are the same (the API changes are fairly evident in the plug-in template):
http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net/doc/Writing/html/plug-in.html

You might want to look at the Gaussian blur plug-in, the edge detect plug-in and the generic convolution filtre plug-in in (respectively) plug-ins/common/gauss_rle.c, plug-ins/common/edge.c and plug-ins/common/convolve.c - all of these plug-ins are of the type which interests you.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-03 12:47:10 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi,

"Bartekk" writes:

For such a simple plug-in you will probably want to keep all code in one file and the plug-in template is complete overkill. You can simply use gimptool to build your plug-in and probably don't need a full-featured autoconf/automake setup as provided by gimp-plugin-template.

Have a look at the gauss blur plug-ins in the GIMP source tree. Also make sure you have the GIMP API reference manual available. It comes with the GIMP tarball (in the devel-docs directory) and is available online at http://developers.gimp.org/.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-05-03 12:48:36 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Bartekk wrote:

i have a question about the development of plug-in. I want to use the plugin template u can get from the gimp site. The problem is I don't know which files are important. If I want to write a simple Gaussian Filter, how can I do that. Is there somebody who can give me an how to or an example.

This document is still somewhat valid, although the API has changed a lot since then, the principles are the same (the API changes are fairly evident in the plug-in template): http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net/doc/Writing/html/plug-in.html

I don't think we should point people to this document any longer. It's outdated and should better be removed. http://developer.gimp.org/ is where we are collecting more uptodate information and that's where people should be pointed to.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-05-03 13:13:50 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Dave Neary writes:

http://gimp-plug-ins.sourceforge.net/doc/Writing/html/plug-in.html

I don't think we should point people to this document any longer. It's outdated and should better be removed. http://developer.gimp.org/ is where we are collecting more uptodate information and that's where people should be pointed to.

As part of preparing my guadec talk on writing a GIMP plug-in, I plan to update this document, so I'd prefer if it didn't get deleted just yet. In addition, it's quite nicely written with a type of tutorial feel, and it doesn't really have any homologue on the dgo site (yet).

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-03 13:22:25 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

As part of preparing my guadec talk on writing a GIMP plug-in, I plan to update this document, so I'd prefer if it didn't get deleted just yet. In addition, it's quite nicely written with a type of tutorial feel, and it doesn't really have any homologue on the dgo site (yet).

Well, dgo was started to finally give an alternative to this outdated sourceforge site, so please consider to help with dgo instead. It's in CVS, you have write access, feel free to improve it.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-05-03 13:41:51 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Dave Neary writes:

Well, dgo was started to finally give an alternative to this outdated sourceforge site, so please consider to help with dgo instead. It's in CVS, you have write access, feel free to improve it.

I'll commit the updated article from Kevin, plus my paper, plus my slides when I have them.

Cheers,
Dave.

Nathan Carl Summers
2004-05-03 22:43:13 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

On 3 May 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Do you have to run any weird scripts after you make changes, like you did with the old wgo? CCed to the list in the intrest of making the answer public knowledge.

Rockwalrus

David Neary
2004-05-03 22:55:43 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi Nathan,

Nathan Carl Summers wrote:

On 3 May 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Do you have to run any weird scripts after you make changes, like you did with the old wgo? CCed to the list in the intrest of making the answer public knowledge.

You don't *have* to run any scripts with the new wgo, by the way (although you probably should as a sanity check), the rebuild is done as a check-in hook. The same thing is true of the dgo site, but it helps to have a docbook XML set-up working, since this allows you to check for mistakes before committing.

Cheers, Dave.

Bartekk
2004-05-04 16:26:58 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Plug-in howto

Hi Sven and Dave,

-----Original Message-----
From: Sven Neumann [mailto:neo@bender.convergence.de] On Behalf Of

Sven

Neumann
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 12:47 PM
To: Bartekk
Cc: Gimp Developer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Plug-in howto

For such a simple plug-in you will probably want to keep all code in one file and the plug-in template is complete overkill. You can simply use gimptool to build your plug-in and probably don't need a full-featured autoconf/automake setup as provided by gimp-plugin-template.

Have a look at the gauss blur plug-ins in the GIMP source tree. Also make sure you have the GIMP API reference manual available. It comes with the GIMP tarball (in the devel-docs directory) and is available online at http://developers.gimp.org/.

Sven

I want to make a more difficult and complicated plug-in, but I have to start with a small and easy one. The idea to update the tutorial is fine. Maybe I will write a step by step how to for the newbie's.

Anyway, thanks for help

Thomas