RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list Kevin Myers 21 Feb 20:13
  virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list David Neary 21 Feb 20:27
  virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list Mat Caughron 22 Feb 06:14
   virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list Branko Collin 22 Feb 13:56
20040220231657.AF121AF3A@sc... 07 Oct 20:22
  virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list Mat Caughron 21 Feb 17:37
   virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list Simon Budig 21 Feb 17:46
   virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list GSR - FR 21 Feb 18:30
   virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list Branko Collin 21 Feb 19:04
Mat Caughron
2004-02-21 17:37:10 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi all:

I'm not the list administrator, but I'd like to urge the following gimp-developers to closely examine their emailing workstations for viruses.

Thanks,

Mat Caughron

Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer] hello Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer] stolen Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer] information Feb 20 sven@gimp.org (33K) [Gimp-developer] warning Feb 20 jimmac@ximian.com (33K) [Gimp-developer] read it immediately Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer] something for you Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer] something for you Feb 20 sven@gimp.org (33K) [Gimp-developer] warning Feb 20 austin@gimp.org (33K) [Gimp-developer] hello

Simon Budig
2004-02-21 17:46:33 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Mat Caughron (mat@macgimp.org) wrote:

I'm not the list administrator, but I'd like to urge the following gimp-developers to closely examine their emailing workstations for viruses.

Please note that virii are known to fake email-adresses and typically use From:-Adresses that are somehow related to the recipient (e.g. because the addresses have been harvested in the same place).

I guess, that most of the people listed below are using linux or some other unix-variant on their email-server and thus are not likely to spread virii.

Bye,
Simon

GSR - FR
2004-02-21 18:30:26 UTC (about 20 years ago)

mat@macgimp.org (2004-02-21 at 1037.10 -0600):

The most probable explanation is faked origin. Just inspect the headers to see clear differences. Virus, spammers or whatever can improve the tactics, but there will be always some clue.

GSR

Branko Collin
2004-02-21 19:04:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On 21 Feb 2004, at 10:37, Mat Caughron wrote:

Why would these developers have viruses?

Kevin Myers
2004-02-21 20:13:15 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Mat, I'm sorry, but you obviously don't know enough about this problem to be posting this kind of message. I can assure you that Sven, Jernej, and the other developers on this list know a lot more about this problem than you appear to, and the problem is *NOT* on their machines.

If you had done more research into this problem before posting your message, you would find that these messages are *NOT* being sent from the email addresses that they appear to be. Instead, these messages are being generated by virus infections on other people's machines who happen to have Sven's and Jernej's email addresses in their contract lists. The existence of their email addresses in the contact lists on these other machines is a very unfortunate side-effect of all of the very helpful messages that have been posted to this list by Sven and Jernej. Once again, the problem is on the OTHER people's virus infected machines, not those of Sven and Jernej.

The proper way to track this down is through the use of the detailed email headers that are sent along with each message to obtain the IP address from which the offending email was sent, followed by contacting the ISP that supplies the offending address, who should in turn be able to contact the owner of the virus infected machine and alert them to clean up their system. Unfortunately, this whole process is so time consuming that most folks (possibly including yourself) either aren't willing or don't have time to make the necessary effort.

In any case, please be more careful to put proper blame where it belongs before posting future notes of this type.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ---

David Neary
2004-02-21 20:27:10 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Myers wrote:

In any case, please be more careful to put proper blame where it belongs before posting future notes of this type.

There was really no need to post this message. That this is a virus issue is clear, and has been made clear by other posts (including one by you). As I understand it, Mat was pointing out that virus mail was getting through to the list - that is a problem.

In any case, you weren't being very nice. Please try to be nicer to people who are trying to be helpful in the future.

Cheers, Dave.

Mat Caughron
2004-02-22 06:14:19 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Kevin:

Intention wasn't to give blame or point fingers. I am by no means an expert in email viruses/spam issues but wanted to make sure that the topic got brought up (for all I knew those developers weren't getting the emails and therefore weren't aware of something that they should be and I tried to politely make them aware.) My first thought was: that's odd, those guys aren't likely to be using outlook or other virus-prone mail clients. Spoofing hadn't occurred to me but now does seem highly likely here.

Thanks David, for reminding us that we're all on the same side here: we have in common the interest of keeping the discussion list to be a useful forum.

If rampant email address and origin spoofing is going on, then it really seems to change the nature of the anti-spam/anti-virus game. It is no longer the case that you can avoid the virus problem by being really careful about not executing anything that you get in your mail - I was used to thinking this way. I don't really know how to prevent falsified headers or how to identify list-members (?) who are originating the insidious spoof-virus-spam. What a pain!

Sadly, none of this has anything to do with gimp development. It is my hope that this virus/spoofing distraction can be resolved so that we can get "back to business" with minimal interruption. The mailing lists are one of the best tools for open source development, so it is especially disturbing to see their use being degraded in this manner.

So I likely won't respond on this thread again, but leave it up to the experts and those doing the unsavory task of sysadmin on the mailservers to figure out what, if anything, can be done to solve the problem.

Thanks for understanding,

Mat Caughron

P.S. Suggestions off-list for effective open source anti-spam software would be much appreciated.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Kevin Myers wrote:

Mat, I'm sorry, but you obviously don't know enough about this problem to be posting this kind of message. I can assure you that Sven, Jernej, and the other developers on this list know a lot more about this problem than you appear to, and the problem is *NOT* on their machines.

If you had done more research into this problem before posting your message, you would find that these messages are *NOT* being sent from the email addresses that they appear to be. Instead, these messages are being generated by virus infections on other people's machines who happen to have Sven's and Jernej's email addresses in their contract lists. The existence of their email addresses in the contact lists on these other machines is a very unfortunate side-effect of all of the very helpful messages that have been posted to this list by Sven and Jernej. Once again, the problem is on the OTHER people's virus infected machines, not those of Sven and Jernej.

The proper way to track this down is through the use of the detailed email headers that are sent along with each message to obtain the IP address from which the offending email was sent, followed by contacting the ISP that supplies the offending address, who should in turn be able to contact the owner of the virus infected machine and alert them to clean up their system. Unfortunately, this whole process is so time consuming that most folks (possibly including yourself) either aren't willing or don't have time to make the necessary effort.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mat Caughron"
To:
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2004 10:37 AM Subject: [Gimp-developer] virus issue on the gimp-developer mailing list

Hi all:

Thanks,

Mat Caughron

Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer] hello Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer]

stolen

Feb 20 jernej.simoncic@guest.arnes.si (33K) [Gimp-developer]

information

Feb 20 sven@gimp.org (33K) [Gimp-developer]

warning

Feb 20 jimmac@ximian.com (33K) [Gimp-developer] read

it immediately

something for you

something for you

Feb 20 sven@gimp.org (33K) [Gimp-developer]

warning

Feb 20 austin@gimp.org (33K) [Gimp-developer] hello

Branko Collin
2004-02-22 13:56:37 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On 21 Feb 2004, at 23:14, Mat Caughron wrote:

It is no longer the case that you can avoid the virus problem by being really careful about not executing anything that you get in your mail - I was used to thinking this way. I don't really know how to prevent falsified headers or how to identify list-members (?) who are

^^^^^^^^^^^^

originating the insidious spoof-virus-spam.

You're still thinking the old way. :-)

Don't for one minute think that the originators had to have contact with Sven at one point or the other. It's enough for his name to appear on Usenet or anywhere else that might lead to auto-inclusion in the Outlook address book.

Since Sven isn't shy about communicating his e-mail address, it's to be expected that viruses spoof his name and address more often than others. Just a matter of statistics.