RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-help-2 status

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-help-2 status Roman Joost 10 Dec 22:55
  gimp-help-2 status Daniel Egger 11 Dec 08:08
   gimp-help-2 status Roman Joost 18 Dec 15:53
    gimp-help-2 status Daniel Egger 19 Dec 15:13
     gimp-help-2 status Sven Neumann 19 Dec 19:55
      gimp-help-2 status Daniel Egger 19 Dec 22:21
       gimp-help-2 status Malcolm Tredinnick 19 Dec 23:25
Roman Joost
2003-12-10 22:55:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

This mail is only a tiny status mail of the current progress on gimp-help-2.

With Raymonds help i'm now be able to build the help with UTF-8 encoded XML files, which are "xincluded" in the gimp.xml file. All of the entities are gone and i can replace the last files with the correct unicode characters. I'm looking forward to replace all the old files with the newer UTF-8 stuff on weekend. That means, the CVS should be up to date soon (i've some frensh files on hold). Julien and Raymond are working like machines.. i can't get the files into the CVS as they produce them :)

The manual itself looks promising. We got some additional writing power for the english content. Daryl Lee takes care about the english content and Niklas can produce (or better: is producing) swedish content. We, Niklas and i, ran into bit trouble lately, when we tried to produce the manual with some swedish content. It seems, that docbook doesn't have any swedish support?!

Additionally, we get some feedback from Ramanan Selvaratnam. He'll support us with additional information about free software backgrounds (sorry, i didn't have the time lately, to read all the mails) and will provide content in 'Tamil' - "a truly global diaspora with a growing interest in FS". Daniel pays attention to him, because he has the most knowledge about the gimp-help-2 project.

Hopefully, i've some more time over new year's eve to write german content and stay in sync with Raymond and Julien. I'm looking forward to have a meeting with the Gimpers in Berlin on the 20C3 and a good manual for the Gimp 2. I hope i didn't missed something ...

Greetings,

Daniel Egger
2003-12-11 08:08:55 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

Am Mit, den 10.12.2003 schrieb Roman Joost um 22:55:

With Raymonds help i'm now be able to build the help with UTF-8 encoded XML files, which are "xincluded" in the gimp.xml file.

Cool. Incidently I've also been working on this and my Mac really has troubles when trying to compile such files with xsltproc; it will slowly suck up all memory and finally explode. Was this your problem, too? How did you solve it?

The manual itself looks promising. We got some additional writing power for the english content. Daryl Lee takes care about the english content and Niklas can produce (or better: is producing) swedish content. We, Niklas and i, ran into bit trouble lately, when we tried to produce the manual with some swedish content. It seems, that docbook doesn't have any swedish support?!

DocBook doesn't need to. :) But I verified that the stylesheets do have Swedish translations so there shouldn't be any problems. The language code is 'sv' for Svenska.

Roman Joost
2003-12-18 15:53:20 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

Sorry for replying a bit late, but i didn't looked in my gimp mailinglist folder ...

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:08:55AM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:

Am Mit, den 10.12.2003 schrieb Roman Joost um 22:55:

With Raymonds help i'm now be able to build the help with UTF-8 encoded XML files, which are "xincluded" in the gimp.xml file.

Cool. Incidently I've also been working on this and my Mac really has troubles when trying to compile such files with xsltproc; it will slowly suck up all memory and finally explode. Was this your problem, too? How did you solve it?

Hm.. i didn't had any memory problems with XInclude. If the encoding was wrong, the xsltproc throw an error and nothing more ...

DocBook doesn't need to. :) But I verified that the stylesheets do have Swedish translations so there shouldn't be any problems. The language code is 'sv' for Svenska.

This is "fixed" :)

Thanks and greetings,

Daniel Egger
2003-12-19 15:13:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

Am Don, den 18.12.2003 schrieb Roman Joost um 15:53:

Hm.. i didn't had any memory problems with XInclude. If the encoding was wrong, the xsltproc throw an error and nothing more ...

I still do, but only under Mac OSX. More annoying with XInclude is that xsltproc cannot be taught to really load the DTD from disk and/or cache the DTD so it doesn't need to repeat this step for every subdocument again (including issuing another "error" message).

Sven Neumann
2003-12-19 19:55:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

Hi,

Daniel Egger writes:

Am Don, den 18.12.2003 schrieb Roman Joost um 15:53:

I still do, but only under Mac OSX. More annoying with XInclude is that xsltproc cannot be taught to really load the DTD from disk and/or cache the DTD so it doesn't need to repeat this step for every subdocument again (including issuing another "error" message).

I am pretty sure it loads the DTD from disk if you provide it an XML catalog file that shows it where the DTD is found. This file is usually called /etc/xml/catalog. See http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html

Sven

Daniel Egger
2003-12-19 22:21:51 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

Am Fre, den 19.12.2003 schrieb Sven Neumann um 19:55:

I am pretty sure it loads the DTD from disk if you provide it an XML catalog file that shows it where the DTD is found. This file is usually called /etc/xml/catalog. See http://xmlsoft.org/catalog.html

I have this catalog file and xsltproc tries to open it, however it still continues trying to load the files from net. This is a Debian unstable system, all DTDs are installed and since some package created this file I assumed that Debian would automagically make it work, but no....

Do you know where to modify the system to get it work?

<!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd">

Malcolm Tredinnick
2003-12-19 23:25:23 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 status

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 13:21, Daniel Egger wrote:

Am Fre, den 19.12.2003 schrieb Sven Neumann um 19:55:

I have this catalog file and xsltproc tries to open it, however it still continues trying to load the files from net. This is a Debian unstable system, all DTDs are installed and since some package created this file I assumed that Debian would automagically make it work, but no....

Do you know where to modify the system to get it work?

<!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD XML Catalogs V1.0//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/release/1.0/catalog.dtd">

Is that (the above) everythin in your /etc/xml/catalog file? If so, then it's not really surprising that you are running out onto the Internet for everything -- the catalog file is essentially empty. Debian has unfortunately had very poor support for XML catalogs until quite recently. I don't know what the current level is like, since I do not use that distribution.

As a start to repairing the problem, have a look at http://www.xmlsoft.org/buildDocBookCatalog which is a shell script to make the required entries for DocBook 4.1.2. If you have a different version of the DocBook DTDs installed (quite possible, since 4.2 is the latest release), you will need to tweak the script a little, but not much.

Note that this script creates a separate catalog file and then adjusts /etc/xml/catalog to point to the newly created file (only) for DocBook lookups. That is the standard way to do this stuff, rather than populating /etc/xml/catalog with all your entries (makes packaging easier, too). It may be that the Debian DocBook DTD package already ships a catalog file, in which case you only need to add the appropriate lines to /etc/xml/catalog, which you can take out of the above script.

If your catalog set up is working, then XInclude processing will also use it (libxml2 uses the catalogs by default).

Cheers, Malcolm