RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-help-2 updated

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-help-2 updated Roman Joost 28 Nov 23:29
  gimp-help-2 updated Daniel Egger 29 Nov 14:04
   gimp-help-2 updated Roman Joost 30 Nov 15:03
20031201190819.26d70709.ray... 07 Oct 20:22
  gimp-help-2 updated Roman Joost 03 Dec 12:18
   gimp-help-2 updated Raymond Ostertag 03 Dec 19:38
    gimp-help-2 updated Roman Joost 04 Dec 19:46
     gimp-help-2 updated Raymond Ostertag 04 Dec 22:26
Roman Joost
2003-11-28 23:29:40 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

Well, well, the source directory is completely updated and i suggest, that you create a new gimp-help-2 sandbox first.

I added the frensh translation to the files and had to add my previous changes (see document structure) most of the modules, because the file structure of the frensh translations was rather old. It is necessary to stay in sync with the gimp-help-2 HEAD and maybe apply cvs patches to your local files to prevent this in the future.

Another point, which i figured out is the "mixed" language content in the xml files. This is not a big problem, but i want to admit, that one mistake in an xml file, will crash all the other languages in that file (and even the hole manual). So, take care of editing the xml files before you check them in. Maybe, we should break them into seperate files in the future, because of the overhead of seperate languages.

The things which are todo for me now are:
1. add the generation of swedish content 2. remove the entities
3. add the XIncludes.

I'll remove the entities, which are mapping the german umlauts to the correct unicode entity (if i'm right). If i understand Daniel correctly, we should be able to write normal umlauts with a proper UTF-8 encoding. It wasn't clear enough for me, when we discussed the UTF-8 issue on the mailinglist. The problem is for me, that i cannot use XIncludes, when the documents use "ö" to generate an german oe. What should we do now:

1. switch completely to UTF-8, 2. use the proper unicode entities (eg. oe for ö) for printing umlauts and special language dependend characters?

The switch to UTF-8 was not recommended by Daniel, where he points out, that this might break some asian language contributions (if there are some, who wants to help). I suggest, that we don't switch to UTF-8 and use the unicode entities to get a valid XML file.

Resulting changes: -----------------
1. xml sources are going now into

$GIMP-HELP-2/src (for XML sources) $GIMP-HELP-2/images (for image sources) and subdirectories.

I think, we should use the structure of the documentation [1], which was setup by Niklas, to structure the source files. Okey, not deeply like the structure purposal, but likewise.
2. The frensh translation need some screenshots. I seperated the german-only shots in different directories, so i would suggest to put them in here:

$GIMP-HELP-2/html/images/toolbox/fr

The binary images are going globally into:

$GIMP-HELP-2/html/images

and its subdirectories.

3. I updated the README file, which has now the structure of the whole manual and the structure of a doc file. The frensh translators should adding some translations for the tool call of a dialog or tool.

4. I found some uncommented code in the frensh translation. It would be usefull, that the translator document somewhere, in which document he has uncommented code. We can use our WIKI for that.

Okey, thats all what i have ...

Thanks to all authors for the good work and happy writing :)

References: -----------
[1] - http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/StructureOfTheDocumentation

Greetings,

Daniel Egger
2003-11-29 14:04:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

On Nov 28, 2003, at 11:29 pm, Roman Joost wrote:

I'll remove the entities, which are mapping the german umlauts to the correct unicode entity (if i'm right). If i understand Daniel correctly,
we should be able to write normal umlauts with a proper UTF-8 encoding. It wasn't clear enough for me, when we discussed the UTF-8 issue on the mailinglist. The problem is for me, that i cannot use XIncludes, when the documents use "ö" to generate an german oe. What should we do now:

1. switch completely to UTF-8,
2. use the proper unicode entities (eg. oe for ö) for printing umlauts and special language dependend characters?

The switch to UTF-8 was not recommended by Daniel, where he points out, that this might break some asian language contributions (if there are some, who wants to help). I suggest, that we don't switch to UTF-8 and use the unicode entities to get a valid XML file.

I'm pretty convinced I tried to express something else. :) UTF-8 is the way to go and it should work with all languages known, even the Asian ones. What might break is editing content on systems which have rather poor support for UTF-8. So given this and the the feedback we've received
I'd rather enforce UTF-8 encoded source files then go with the "noone can
remember the numbers anyway" numerical character encoding.

Thanks to all authors for the good work and happy writing :)

You're doing a pretty good job here, thanks!

-- Servus,
Daniel

Roman Joost
2003-11-30 15:03:01 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 02:04:22PM +0100, Daniel Egger wrote:

[...]
I'm pretty convinced I tried to express something else. :) UTF-8 is the way to go and it should work with all languages known, even the Asian ones. What might break is editing content on systems which have rather poor support for UTF-8. So given this and the the feedback we've received
I'd rather enforce UTF-8 encoded source files then go with the "noone can
remember the numbers anyway" numerical character encoding.

Okey.. i misunderstood your opinion of utf-8 - sorry. Well, in that case i'll make to step to utf-8 and let you all if i'm running into trouble.

I'm on adding the swedish language support for scizzo - stay tuned ;)

Greetings,

Roman Joost
2003-12-03 12:18:15 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 07:08:19PM +0100, Raymond Ostertag wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:29:40 +0100 Roman Joost wrote:

4. I found some uncommented code in the frensh translation. It would be usefull, that the translator document somewhere, in which document he has uncommented code. We can use our WIKI for that.

Hello,

What do you call uncommented ? Do you mean not translated ?

No, sorry for the bad description. I mean commented code which were of course translated.

Another problem that we will face soon is the "fuzzy" texts when someone change the original doc in english. We don't have any mecanism like what works fine for PO files. I suggest that we add something like that: in the future for the translated texts (fr, de, se,...) when we change the original english text.

Hm... i think it'll be better to leave it or to document it in its current state. If we're yousing the "fuzzy" tactics, this function or tool is documented anyway. We should document these paragraphs, that we can find them fast if the developers say, that the code is nearly finished or complete.

Do you have some background ideas in mind, when we use such an attribute or is it only a special marker for writers?

Greetings,

Raymond Ostertag
2003-12-03 19:38:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:18:15 +0100 Roman Joost wrote:

No, sorry for the bad description. I mean commented code which were of course translated.

hum, still difficult to understand... It's text in french that don't exist in english ?

Julien did this or sometimes write more text for the french version. We also found some german text not translated in english.

For this it could be enough to open a new paragraph with a special attribut

But the best thing it's to avoid doing this.

Another problem that we will face soon is the "fuzzy" texts when someone change the original doc in english. We don't have any mecanism like what works fine for PO files. I suggest that we add something like that: in the future for the translated texts (fr, de, se,...) when we change the original english text.

Hm... i think it'll be better to leave it or to document it in its current state. If we're yousing the "fuzzy" tactics, this function or tool is documented anyway. We should document these paragraphs, that we can find them fast if the developers say, that the code is nearly finished or complete.

Do you have some background ideas in mind, when we use such an attribute or is it only a special marker for writers?

FUZZY is only for translators. If the doc don't fit the code it's an other problem. As it is now we are doing both jobs: doc-writer and translator. Then it's our job to check if the doc fit the code and to change the doc in case it's wrong. Then we can change a translation (french for me) but what to do with the other one (de, se, tamil and more) ? This is where a marker like "fuzzy" could be useful.

@+ Raymond

Roman Joost
2003-12-04 19:46:36 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:38:00PM +0100, Raymond Ostertag wrote:

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:18:15 +0100 Roman Joost wrote:

hum, still difficult to understand... It's text in french that don't exist in english ?

No no - wrong way *G The text was translated into frensh but was commented. Maybe i use the wrong word for comment something, eg:

...maybe its from patching the source.. i dunno

For this it could be enough to open a new paragraph with a special attribut

But the best thing it's to avoid doing this.

yes

Another thing which still remains for us is, to produce now utf-8 encoded documents without the gimp.xml entities. I'll try translate the existing docs to utf-8 without the entities. Please give me some feedback how well it works.

Greetings,

Raymond Ostertag
2003-12-04 22:26:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

gimp-help-2 updated

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 19:46:36 +0100 Roman Joost wrote:

No no - wrong way *G The text was translated into frensh but was commented. Maybe i use the wrong word for comment something, eg:

...maybe its from patching the source.. i dunno

OK. I don't remember we did this, in case we did it's probably an error.

Another thing which still remains for us is, to produce now utf-8 encoded documents without the gimp.xml entities. I'll try translate the existing docs to utf-8 without the entities. Please give me some feedback how well it works.

Works fine.

@+
Raymond