RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP at COMDEX

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP at COMDEX Daniel Rogers 13 Nov 08:13
  GIMP at COMDEX Henrik Brix Andersen 13 Nov 11:40
   GIMP at COMDEX David Neary 13 Nov 12:32
  GIMP at COMDEX David Neary 13 Nov 12:48
   GIMP at COMDEX Sven Neumann 13 Nov 15:28
   GIMP at COMDEX Jakub Steiner 13 Nov 17:56
    GIMP at COMDEX David Neary 13 Nov 17:15
  GIMP at COMDEX Simon Budig 13 Nov 13:40
   GIMP at COMDEX Ville Pätsi 13 Nov 15:42
Daniel Rogers
2003-11-13 08:13:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

Evening GIMPers,

Gimp is going to COMDEX. I just found out that I would be able to go tonight. Now I am kinda panicing about the kind of things I should present. Here are some quick ideas, before I go to sleep. If anyone has anything in particular they think I should consider discussing, please bring it up. IF anyone has any help they would like to lend, (previous presentation notes, for example) I would greatly appericate any time you could give me.

Gimp demos. Show off some of our killer features. Any ideas as to what these might be? (layers, brushes, plugins, script-fu)

Tips for working with the gimp in a corporate enviroment. (examples of previous corporate help would be great). Buy a programmer to add features. Strenths of open source, weaknesses of open source.

Future gimp plans (gegl, high bit depths, color management).

Ok, it is late and I need to sleep for work tomorrow.

Cool screenshots, example work, and anything gimp related would be great to send to me.

cl0kd already sent me a screenshot of gimp 1.3.x running on macos 10.3!

Thanks everyone, - --
Dan
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQE/sy8Zad4P1+ZAZk0RAh+AAJ4/EyV5QnXMhd6Io/Qp/j2xWGHDZQCgjEZE 2WX2qc9DChtw0M7ZqCYYZ7w=
=oMbv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-11-13 11:40:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:13, Daniel Rogers wrote:

One of the cool thing about The GIMP is that it is cross-platform. The exact same source code can be built on a variety of platforms. I often meet people who think The GIMP is a GNU/Linux-only thing - maybe it is worth mentioning that it runs on a large number of platforms?

Sincerely, ./Brix
PS: Have a nice trip to Vegas, Daniel :)

David Neary
2003-11-13 12:32:29 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

Hi,

Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:13, Daniel Rogers wrote:

One of the cool thing about The GIMP is that it is cross-platform. The exact same source code can be built on a variety of platforms. I often meet people who think The GIMP is a GNU/Linux-only thing - maybe it is worth mentioning that it runs on a large number of platforms?

It is true that it's less stable on Win32 though... partially because of a shortage of people building it from source on that platform, yielding a smaller pool of potential bug-fixers. I regularly crash the GIMP on Win32... and crashes aren't nice for demos.

Cheers,
Dave.

David Neary
2003-11-13 12:48:31 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Rogers wrote:

Gimp demos. Show off some of our killer features. Any ideas as to what these might be? (layers, brushes, plugins, script-fu)

He might not forgive me for this, but here's jimmac's list of user visible changes in 2.0 when compared to 1.2: http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/private/gimp-2/html/index.xhtml

The biggies are of course docks, the path tool, the text tool, the themability (I like showing off the small interface - do we have a big & chunky interface too?), the grid, fullscreen mode, and tool contexts.

There are also the colour pickers for the levels tool (amazingly useful) and GAP. But Jakub's the man to talk to about that stuff...

If you're doing a general gimp demo, then the stuff that impresses people is the clone tool, selections/masks, channel & layer manipulations. A good thing to do is search through your collection for a few shitty photos that you are fairly certain can be hugely improved with one technique, and then do that.

Here, I'm thinking of Jakub's tutorial in Berlin where he had, for example, one image with a contre-jour, one image with a red cast at sunset, another image with the tourist walking across the wall, another with the bright red plane, and no other red in the picture, another with a good clear red-eye, etc.

Tips for working with the gimp in a corporate enviroment. (examples of previous corporate help would be great). Buy a programmer to add features. Strenths of open source, weaknesses of open source.

This kind of philosophical stuff is interesting, but the FSF and OSI have lots of stuff on this. But getting someone to buy a programmer for a year or two would rock.

Future gimp plans (gegl, high bit depths, color management).

Personally, I'd tend to avoid future plans until there's something to present. If someone asks about CMYK, pre-press, color profiles, etc then by all means go into the details, but I wouldn't include it in a presentation.

Good luck in Vegas, and don't lose too much money :)

Cheers, Dave.

Simon Budig
2003-11-13 13:40:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

Daniel Rogers (daniel@phasevelocity.org) wrote:

From my experience most of the people don't know the most basic stuff.

So show them how to use selections, layer masks, color correction stuff. That should make 80% of your audience happy.

Then some of the new stuff already mentioned by Dave and you have a nice presentation.

If you want to have some introduction about the history of the GIMP you might find some helpful remarks at http://www.home.unix-ag.org/simon/gimp/guadec2002/using-gimp/html/

Hope this helps, Simon

Sven Neumann
2003-11-13 15:28:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

Hi,

David Neary writes:

He might not forgive me for this, but here's jimmac's list of user visible changes in 2.0 when compared to 1.2: http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/private/gimp-2/html/index.xhtml

That's a nice draft (not sure though if Jimmac will be happy about seeing the URL posted here). However it is already quite outdated. Some of the points that are marked as being annoyant or incomplete have been addressed in the meantime. Also most screenshots need to be redone.

Inspired by a comment from this article, I just added a (somewhat hackish) power user feature. Since it might also be useful for demonstrations, I am mentioning it here. With very latest CVS you can now specify a session name on the command-line. This will cause an alternate sessionrc to be used. This allows you to prepare setups for different purposes. Might be useful for demonstrations: first show a default setup, then start again with all dockables on screen. Also allows you to keep sessions for different screen resolutions.

Sven

Ville Pätsi
2003-11-13 15:42:50 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 14:40, Simon Budig wrote:

Daniel Rogers (daniel@phasevelocity.org) wrote:

Gimp demos. Show off some of our killer features. Any ideas as to what these might be? (layers, brushes, plugins, script-fu From my experience most of the people don't know the most basic stuff.

So show them how to use selections, layer masks, color correction stuff. That should make 80% of your audience happy.

The corrective mode of the perspective tool is always very popular.

David Neary
2003-11-13 17:15:09 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

Hi,

Jakub Steiner wrote:

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:48, David Neary wrote:

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/stuff/private/gimp-2/html/index.xhtml

Eek! Looks like I need to bring it up to date and finish it. Bad, bad Dave ;) Lot of stuff changed in the meantime.

:) I thought that might be motivational for you...

Thanks for writing it, by the way. Very useful document.

Cheers, Dave.

Jakub Steiner
2003-11-13 17:56:19 UTC (over 20 years ago)

GIMP at COMDEX

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 12:48, David Neary wrote:

Eek! Looks like I need to bring it up to date and finish it. Bad, bad Dave ;) Lot of stuff changed in the meantime.

cheers