RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

web site (was: When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0?)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? Raphaël Quinet 01 Oct 18:18
  When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? Sven Neumann 01 Oct 19:39
   When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? David Odin 01 Oct 20:14
   When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? David Neary 01 Oct 22:25
  When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? Michael Natterer 02 Oct 12:32
   When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? Raphaël Quinet 02 Oct 14:49
When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0? Carol Spears 02 Oct 18:24
  web site (was: When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0?) Raphaël Quinet 02 Oct 18:55
Raphaël Quinet
2003-10-01 18:18:05 UTC (over 20 years ago)

When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0?

According to the roadmap proposed a few weeks ago, we should be in feature freeze and we should have released 2.0rc1 by now. Also, the old web site was supposed to be replaced by the new one in order to be prepared to support the new release.

None of this has happened: new features are still being implemented (e.g., the nice tool presets added yesterday), we are planning for 1.3.21 soon (not ready for 2.0rc1 yet) and the web site hasn't been moved. This is not a real problem because this is usual in Free Software projects and there are be good reasons for these delays: a 1.3.21 release would be really useful to test the latest bug fixes.

But if we still want to keep the goal of releasing 2.0 before next year, then it would be useful to revive the idea of the feature freeze. One way to do that would be to create a branch for 2.0 (like what was done for gimp-1-2) and say that only bug fixes can be done on that branch. Being "forced" to move away from CVS HEAD would probably change the way we consider the code for 2.0, and discourage the addition of new features which may be very nice and useful, but go against the feature freeze.

I suggest to create that branch immediately after the 1.3.21 release. What do you think?

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2003-10-01 19:39:58 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I suggest to create that branch immediately after the 1.3.21 release. What do you think?

We create a branch immidiately after 2.0 is released. We don't have the resources to handle more branches. If you branch now (or after 1.3.21), we will never get a 2.0 release out.

Sven

David Odin
2003-10-01 20:14:50 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:39:58PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Raphaël Quinet writes:

We create a branch immidiately after 2.0 is released. We don't have the resources to handle more branches. If you branch now (or after 1.3.21), we will never get a 2.0 release out.

I second this. If we create a 2.0 branch too soo, I'm afraid people will think "ok, this branch is for bugfixes only, let's play with HEAD instead". This way coders will be much more interested in adding new features in HEAD than in finding bugs into the 2.0 branch. So please delay the 2.0 branch until 2.0 is out.

Regards,

DindinX

David Neary
2003-10-01 22:25:25 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

I suggest to create that branch immediately after the 1.3.21 release.

Agreed. Pre-release branches might work on other projects with more developer resources. The reality is we want everyone who has time to work on bug-fixes to have a 2.0 before Christmas (that's still the goal, and we're still on target for that).

Cheers, Dave.

Michael Natterer
2003-10-02 12:32:28 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Raphaël Quinet writes:

According to the roadmap proposed a few weeks ago, we should be in feature freeze and we should have released 2.0rc1 by now. Also, the old web site was supposed to be replaced by the new one in order to be prepared to support the new release.

None of this has happened: new features are still being implemented (e.g., the nice tool presets added yesterday),

This is not a new feature, persistant tool options have been there for a long time. The functionality of the "save" and "load" buttons just needed to do something actually useful, that's what I did, finishing an existing feature to avoid shipping loose end.

This will definitely happen some more times before 2.0 is out.

we are planning for
1.3.21 soon (not ready for 2.0rc1 yet)

We cannot make a 2.0 release candidate until libgimp is API frozen. Apart from that, current CVS is more stable and more consistent than it was at the time we released 1.2, so actually we could release 2.0 at any time.

and the web site hasn't been
moved.

You know my opinion about this.

This is not a real problem because this is usual in Free Software projects and there are be good reasons for these delays: a 1.3.21 release would be really useful to test the latest bug fixes.

I totally agree and still wonder why we still have that old website. While we have good reasons to delay 2.0 release candidates, I fail to see a single reason for further web site moving delays.

But if we still want to keep the goal of releasing 2.0 before next year,

As I said above, I don't see a reason why we should not be able to do this.

then it would be useful to revive the idea of the feature freeze. One way to do that would be to create a branch for 2.0 (like what was done for gimp-1-2) and say that only bug fixes can be done on that branch. Being "forced" to move away from CVS HEAD would probably change the way we consider the code for 2.0, and discourage the addition of new features which may be very nice and useful, but go against the feature freeze.

Nothing went against the freeze. See above.

No.

ciao,
--mitch

Raphaël Quinet
2003-10-02 14:49:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:32:28 +0200, Michael Natterer wrote:

Raphaël Quinet writes:

we are planning for
1.3.21 soon (not ready for 2.0rc1 yet)

We cannot make a 2.0 release candidate until libgimp is API frozen. Apart from that, current CVS is more stable and more consistent than it was at the time we released 1.2, so actually we could release 2.0 at any time.

Yes, both of these are good points.

and the web site hasn't been
moved.

You know my opinion about this.

[...]

I totally agree and still wonder why we still have that old website. While we have good reasons to delay 2.0 release candidates, I fail to see a single reason for further web site moving delays.

Yes. The site should move as soon as possible. The remaining problems with the new site have been fixed more than a week ago, and the gimp-web team has been waiting since then for the site to be moved.

No.

OK. It makes more sense to create that branch once 2.0 is released. I just wanted to know what you would think about creating a branch earlier. While this could be a good idea for a larger project with more resources, this seems to be a stupid idea of the GIMP. Thanks for your feedback. ;-)

-Raphaël

Carol Spears
2003-10-02 18:24:12 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Michael Natterer wrote:

I never use gimp-1.2 anymore. Consider the lack of good reasons to move it, perhaps.

carol

Raphaël Quinet
2003-10-02 18:55:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

web site (was: When will we branch CVS gimp-2-0?)

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:24:12 -0400, Carol Spears wrote:

Michael Natterer wrote:

I never use gimp-1.2 anymore. Consider the lack of good reasons to move it, perhaps.

Carol, please stop trying to kill the new web site.

Version 1.2.5 of the GIMP, released in mid-June this year, is the current stable release. The majority of GIMP users are using 1.2.5 or an earlier version. They need a good web site that can help them to get the most of this application. Now that most of the contents from the old web site have been moved to the new one, there is no reason to delay the official launch of the new web site.

-Raphaël