RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Getting Involved section on new site

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Getting Involved section on new site Niklas Mattisson 24 Aug 22:52
  Getting Involved section on new site Branko Collin 25 Aug 00:13
   Getting Involved section on new site Owen 25 Aug 12:23
    Getting Involved section on new site Raphaël Quinet 25 Aug 13:41
     Getting Involved section on new site Jakub Steiner 25 Aug 16:58
    Getting Involved section on new site Sven Neumann 25 Aug 14:08
Niklas Mattisson
2003-08-24 22:52:41 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hey all,

It seems like there is a lot of questions about how we should structure the Getting Involved section and I would like to make a few things clear here and also prupose a little structure.

- We should use the existing file that contains the changelog updates and such things.

- The image. I like it though it takes a lot of place on the site. Do the developers want it there or do you think that it might be a little to much?

- IMHO I would remove the Important URLs parts and move this to Links well the once that is not in the Links section at least.

- Important GIMP Development URLs is important and I would like this to stay where it is.

OK here goes a little structure:

-> Getting Involved |--> How can I help?
|--> How Tos (If we have any?)
|--> What is going on
'--> Links (OS specific help pages)

This might be small but still it would not be much to change if we build it like this for now. This can change later also depending what the developers want the site to contain.

What do the developers want the site section to look like and is there anything that I have missed above?

I would like to have some discussions about this because it is important to make this section understandable and useful for new people who wants to help with GIMP. So please add comments.

Best regards,

Branko Collin
2003-08-25 00:13:33 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On 24 Aug 2003, at 22:52, Niklas Mattisson wrote:

It seems like there is a lot of questions about how we should structure the Getting Involved section and I would like to make a few things clear here and also prupose a little structure.

- We should use the existing file that contains the changelog updates and such things.

For clarity's sake, Getting Involved is the new name for what's currently still called Development on the test site. See .

- The image. I like it though it takes a lot of place on the site. Do the developers want it there or do you think that it might be a little to much?

The photo, you mean? I like it too. It adds a personal touch, and that's always helpful.

However, it is in the way of finding out how to Get Involved, so perhaps it should move down the page.

- IMHO I would remove the Important URLs parts and move this to Links well the once that is not in the Links section at least.

The problem with the links (they are hyperlinks, not URLs) as they are currently presented, with little context, is that they lack meaning.

- Important GIMP Development URLs is important and I would like this to stay where it is.

I think that these links should be a function of the way in which a person wants to help. Somebody who wants to draw icons does not need to know about GEGL, for instance.

OK here goes a little structure:

-> Getting Involved |--> How can I help?

Would this be like the list on
under "Your Support"?

|--> How Tos (If we have any?)
|--> What is going on

What would "What is going on" be about?

'--> Links (OS specific help pages)

Perhaps the OS specific stuff should go into the OS sections, I am not sure. Do you have examples of some links?

This might be small but still it would not be much to change if we build it like this for now. This can change later also depending what the developers want the site to contain.

What do the developers want the site section to look like and is there anything that I have missed above?

I would like to have some discussions about this because it is important to make this section understandable and useful for new people who wants to help with GIMP. So please add comments.

I can imagine two types of visitor for this page.

One type are the visitors who already know they want to help and now need to find out how they can help and what they need to do to get there.

The other type are visitors who are not necessarily trying to offer help, but who are looking for general development information.

For the latter there needs to be some overview of (affiliated) projects/sites, with an explanation of what each does in the GIMP world.

There's one thing I find very important, and that is that those who want to help develop in the traditional sense, i.e. code, should be able to find out how to contribute as easy as possible. What are the steps such a person should take? Go to and look there?

Owen
2003-08-25 12:23:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:13:33 +0200 "Branko Collin" wrote:

The photo, you mean? I like it too. It adds a personal touch, and that's always helpful.

Perhaps some names on the photo would enhance its personality?

Owen

Raphaël Quinet
2003-08-25 13:41:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:23:44 +1000, Owen wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:13:33 +0200 "Branko Collin" wrote:

This photo is from GimpCon2000. We should use one from GimpCon2003. Or maybe keep both (that would be nice for those who couldn't make it to the 2003 edition), but then we will have some space problems on the page.

For the GimpCon2003 picture, I like the image #25 from jimmac's 4th set. I would crop it and increase its brightness a bit. I also like drc's picture (gimpcon-2003-people.png) but there are more people smiling on jimmac's pix.

For the GimpCon2000 picture, you can find the names on this page: http://www.gimp.org/gimpcon/2000/people.html For the 2003 edition, you can find the names... Errr... Where is that page again? Oh! I haven't published my summary article yet. And I promised to do it more than a week ago. Oops! Sven will kill me... I'd better do that quickly...

By the way, I suggest to continue this discussion of the web-specific stuff to the gimp-web list only, not on both lists (gimp-developer and gimp-web).

-Raphaël

Sven Neumann
2003-08-25 14:08:48 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 12:23, Owen wrote:

It should probably be replaced with the photo from this year's GimpCon. IIRC, Jimmac made a version with names. Perhaps we can use it here.

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2003-08-25 16:58:27 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 13:41, Raphaël Quinet wrote:

For the GimpCon2003 picture, I like the image #25 from jimmac's 4th set. I would crop it and increase its brightness a bit. I also like drc's picture (gimpcon-2003-people.png) but there are more people smiling on jimmac's pix.

I made a little something out of drc's photo:

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/splash/gimp/gimp-gimpcon2003.png

cheers