RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The Gimp on c't special CD

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The Gimp on c't special CD Tor Lillqvist 03 Jun 01:28
  The Gimp on c't special CD Sven Neumann 03 Jun 01:55
  The Gimp on c't special CD Branko Collin 03 Jun 02:11
Tor Lillqvist
2003-06-03 01:28:07 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

What should one do with requests like this? If I recall correctly, I already once have told these people that they don't need any more permissions than what they already have to redistribute GIMP, and that even if they did need some permission, I am not entitled to give them it on the behalf of all the copyright holders...

Could perhaps Sven or Mitch contact them, in German, explaining the situation? (cht@ct.heise.de)

The web page they refer to has the possibility to answer "I agree and grant permission for the CD mentioned above as well as any CDs in future regular issues of c't and/or c't-specials. This permission is valid until revoked" which sounds kinda the correct choice, but on the other hand it says "I confirm that I own the rights required to give this consent", which I don't think I do.

The forwarded message:

The German computer magazine c't will publish a special issue (subject: digital photography) which includes a CD ROM with corresponding freeware and shareware programs (publishing date: autumn 2003). Your software "The Gimp" has been pre-selected to be put on this CD ROM. Some of the programs are also to be included on a CD ROM for the Dutch edition of c't.

To put your software on the CD we need your consent as soon as possible, since the deadline is imminent. It can easily be given on our Website at

http://www.heise.de/...

where you will find a form for your data. In order to protect your information we generated the following authentification code for you:

To be able to include your software we need your consent until the 06/11/2003 at the latest.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!

--tml

Sven Neumann
2003-06-03 01:55:29 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Tor Lillqvist writes:

What should one do with requests like this? If I recall correctly, I already once have told these people that they don't need any more permissions than what they already have to redistribute GIMP, and that even if they did need some permission, I am not entitled to give them it on the behalf of all the copyright holders...

Could perhaps Sven or Mitch contact them, in German, explaining the situation? (cht@ct.heise.de)

Sure, will do. I've had this before with other magazines and usually I explain them just what you wrote above and then they keep asking for the written permission anyway. Well, if they insist on it, they get it. It's worth nothing, but if it makes them happy...

Sven

Branko Collin
2003-06-03 02:11:11 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On 2 Jun 2003, at 23:28, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

The web page they refer to has the possibility to answer "I agree and grant permission for the CD mentioned above as well as any CDs in future regular issues of c't and/or c't-specials. This permission is valid until revoked" which sounds kinda the correct choice, but on the other hand it says "I confirm that I own the rights required to give this consent", which I don't think I do.

I used to work as an editor for the Dutch edition, and IIRC, we had a database of some sort that stored the license type of software. I don't remember what happened to GPL software, but I would imagine that we did not ask the authors permission to distribute GPLed software.

Assuming the Germans use a similar database, I take it they forgot to register GIMP as a GPL product. Perhaps you should just try and remind them again.

I'd offer to e-mail them instead, but I don't know a Christopher Tränkmann (cht), so it really would make no difference if I did or not.