RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

opensource images of food vegies fruits etc

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[tompoe@ableweb.net: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc] Carol Spears 21 Apr 23:26
  [tompoe@ableweb.net: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc] Sven Neumann 21 Apr 23:39
  opensource images of food vegies fruits etc Carol Spears 22 Apr 00:20
Carol Spears
2003-04-21 23:26:27 UTC (about 21 years ago)

[tompoe@ableweb.net: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc]

hi, this is a mail i received. i thought i would send it to the developer list for all of the obvious reasons.

also, if some improper terminology occurs here, lets just say that i did it and you can blame me for it, and not any decent, eloquent gimp users.

thanks carol

----- Forwarded message from tom poe -----

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc Date: 21 Apr 2003 12:53:47 -0700

Hi, Carol: It's actually pretty exciting from where I sit.

If you have lawyers from Stanford, Harvard and Berkeley combining their efforts to come up with registration online, free, and with tagging for browsers, it sets the stage for really big things ahead.

For example, there's a push on for experimenting with 2-tiered product offerings. Companies put out free stuff, and the deluxe models are able to be purchased, right? So, then you add community-based projects, like Open Studios. Now, it becomes possible over time, to be able to use the creativecommons.org registration and tagging, and search for items there, before running out and purchasing from branded corporate stuff.

When you register your works with the Creative Commons Project, in effect, you're setting up for licensing forever. Remember the copyright fiasco with CTEA? Well, this is the ultimate wish for corporate giants, only they can't see it as they are determined to stuff the Digital Age business models back in the toothpaste tube. It's called longer exclusivity, lower profits, rather than bigger and bigger profits.

Hope you do both the free software and creative commons registration. Extra work, but no reason not to. You can discuss it with the attorneys at creative commons as well.
Thanks,
Tom

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 11:17, Carol Spears wrote:

you know, after i sent the mail off, i remembered this url. i have it embedded in the comment of several of the images on my site. i also mailed it out to rms to think about.

still waiting for that reply.

actually, i was considering asking the gimp developers to add this to their software project even.

carol

On 2003-04-21 at 1050.48 -0700, tom poe typed this:

Hi: You should look into the Creative Commons Project. They provide legal assistance, you can register your works in the Public Domain, and still ask that all photos be credited to you, and/or you may want to restrict so that if they use them to make money, they have to contact you. It's the Digital Age thing, you know. Thanks,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 10:39, Carol Spears wrote:

hiya.

i have a ton of fruits and vegetable photos. some are even in focus. one should prolly not go on a family site (http://carol.gimp.org/gallery/carol/country_market/produce/march/IMG_0431.html sweet potatoes, honest)

help your self to any of those. i just ask that you keep the image comment in tact. my intentions were to put the plu numbers on them.

feel free to use any images there. i am taking as many photos as i can, as i would like image food for the gimps image mosaic plug-in. if i accidentally get a photo that is in good focus and form and is useable content for someone, who am i to judge random() and its ways ....

help yourself. carol

(just don't complain about missing pages or broken urls or how slow my poor server is. i get what i pay for.)

On 2003-04-21 at 1632.03 +0200, Philippe Rousselot typed this:

Hi,

I am helping a friend building a website for his restaurant and I am looking for images of food, vegetables, fruits, and other things related to restaurants

Thanks in advance

Sven Neumann
2003-04-21 23:39:42 UTC (about 21 years ago)

[tompoe@ableweb.net: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc]

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

hi, this is a mail i received. i thought i would send it to the developer list for all of the obvious reasons.

The reasons aren't obvious. Would you mind to enlighten us with a short introduction to the subject and perhaps a summary? I'm not willing to decipher your email conversation from this.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-04-22 00:20:06 UTC (about 21 years ago)

opensource images of food vegies fruits etc

hi!

i received the most eloquent email from one of the fine people on the gimp-user list.

it reflects so many of the thoughts i had about http://www.creativecommons.org/ when i first saw it.

in gathering resources for TheGIMP, i have run into all sorts of issues that GPL doesn't address anymore.

there should be some legal protection and definition. i also wonder if software might not fall under this "agreement" or whatever it is, as i think codewriting is more of an art than many arts are.

sorry it wasn't obvious, as i first thought.

carol

----- Forwarded message from tom poe -----

Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Re: opensource images of food vegies fruits etc Date: 21 Apr 2003 12:53:47 -0700

Hi, Carol: It's actually pretty exciting from where I sit.

If you have lawyers from Stanford, Harvard and Berkeley combining their efforts to come up with registration online, free, and with tagging for browsers, it sets the stage for really big things ahead.

For example, there's a push on for experimenting with 2-tiered product offerings. Companies put out free stuff, and the deluxe models are able to be purchased, right? So, then you add community-based projects, like Open Studios. Now, it becomes possible over time, to be able to use the creativecommons.org registration and tagging, and search for items there, before running out and purchasing from branded corporate stuff.

When you register your works with the Creative Commons Project, in effect, you're setting up for licensing forever. Remember the copyright fiasco with CTEA? Well, this is the ultimate wish for corporate giants, only they can't see it as they are determined to stuff the Digital Age business models back in the toothpaste tube. It's called longer exclusivity, lower profits, rather than bigger and bigger profits.

Hope you do both the free software and creative commons registration. Extra work, but no reason not to. You can discuss it with the attorneys at creative commons as well.
Thanks,
Tom

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 11:17, Carol Spears wrote:

you know, after i sent the mail off, i remembered this url. i have it embedded in the comment of several of the images on my site. i also mailed it out to rms to think about.

still waiting for that reply.

actually, i was considering asking the gimp developers to add this to their software project even.

carol

On 2003-04-21 at 1050.48 -0700, tom poe typed this:

Hi: You should look into the Creative Commons Project. They provide legal assistance, you can register your works in the Public Domain, and still ask that all photos be credited to you, and/or you may want to restrict so that if they use them to make money, they have to contact you. It's the Digital Age thing, you know. Thanks,
Tom Poe
Open Studios
Reno, NV
http://www.studioforrecording.org/

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 10:39, Carol Spears wrote:

hiya.

i have a ton of fruits and vegetable photos. some are even in focus. one should prolly not go on a family site (http://carol.gimp.org/gallery/carol/country_market/produce/march/IMG_0431.html sweet potatoes, honest)

help your self to any of those. i just ask that you keep the image comment in tact. my intentions were to put the plu numbers on them.

feel free to use any images there. i am taking as many photos as i can, as i would like image food for the gimps image mosaic plug-in. if i accidentally get a photo that is in good focus and form and is useable content for someone, who am i to judge random() and its ways ....

help yourself. carol

(just don't complain about missing pages or broken urls or how slow my poor server is. i get what i pay for.)

On 2003-04-21 at 1632.03 +0200, Philippe Rousselot typed this:

Hi,

I am helping a friend building a website for his restaurant and I am looking for images of food, vegetables, fruits, and other things related to restaurants

Thanks in advance