RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Status of MMX code in The GIMP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Status of MMX code in The GIMP Sven Neumann 23 Feb 18:08
Status of MMX code in The GIMP Helvetix Victorinox 26 Feb 22:42
Sven Neumann
2003-02-23 18:08:49 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi,

in the beginning of the current development cycle we've added MMX routines for most of the pixel compositing functions. When we found out that this code has problems, it was disabled. This can best be followed by studying the comments at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86290

There's a new bug-report now about build problems introduced by this code:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=106442

At the moment, all of the active hackers seem to be either not interested or not familiar enough with assembler programming to be able to take care of this code. That's why I write about this problem here. We need a maintainer for the Intel-specific code or we will have to remove it from CVS. Is there anyone out there who is capable and willing to do this job?

Salut, Sven

Helvetix Victorinox
2003-02-26 22:42:09 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Folks,
I haven't seen anyone respond to Sven's message. But this is about the right sized thing for me to help with. So barring the advent of someone with more time, I am willing and able to take on the MMX code implementation for GIMP.

My recommendation is that current development proceed without expecting the current MMX code to work. Sven, et alia, can either remove it or leave it in place as a warning to others. When I have something ready to be integrated, we can syncronise then.

Hopefully, that will be before 1.4 in a reasonable amount of time. But if not, it will be just as fine post 1.4 as well as to use it with GEGL.

Helvetix